Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Garmin HRM Chest Strap
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiesim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Garmin HRM Chest Strap Reply with quote

Hi All,

My chest strap for my 310xt has died so i am gonna get a replacement, now i have to choice of the premium (soft strap one) or the regular hard strap one.

I had the premium and after about a year it was giving inaccurate readings on the HR, changed the battery and it did not sore it out. I have read online this is a common problem with the premium.

So I'm contemplating buying the regular hard strap one (also slightly cheaper)

Does anyone have this one and is it waterproof (ok to swim in). I know i wont get a HR reading from it in the water.

Are there any other makes that are compatible with the 310xt, i thought i saw somewhere a polar strap works, anyone shed any light on this ?

thanks all
bfd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know if the standard strap is water proof, but I replaced my garmin 310XT strap for a polar a few months ago. THe HR readings do appear to be more consistent using the polar strap.
runtilyoudrop

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old hard strap which has been fine and waterprrof for 3 years but the elastic is starting to wear out so I need a new one. On what you say it will be another hard one. (the only prob now is the battery in my 305 which lasts 5 hrs at best).
tiesim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfd wrote:
Dont know if the standard strap is water proof, but I replaced my garmin 310XT strap for a polar a few months ago. THe HR readings do appear to be more consistent using the polar strap.

Thanks for the reply, can you point me in the direction of the one you have got ?
bfd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiesim wrote:
bfd wrote:

Thanks for the reply, can you point me in the direction of the one you have got ?

I got mine from HRM, I'm sure you can probably get one a little cheaper else where (as I just proved by googling - Polar WearLink Chest Transmitter, seems that you can pick up one for under £15)....

The garmin monitor pops into the same studs as the polar, so you dont need the transmitter, and I find that its a lot more comfy than the garmin strap.
nigelh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfd wrote:
The garmin monitor pops into the same studs as the polar, so you dont need the transmitter, and I find that its a lot more comfy than the garmin strap.
Good job as I believe polar and garmin/powertap use different means of picking up hr. A polar hr receiver will not work with a garmin and vice versa
Aloha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/polar-spare-elastic-strap-wearlink/

Works fine on mine after swapping it from the Garmin strap as my HR would show as being something like 150% MHR . Find it more comfortable than Garmin strap and my HR doesn't jump around anymore. You'll need the Garmin HR transmitter though as previously mentioned but I can say for definite that it clips straight in.
kidstardust

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll vouch for the polar. Had no end of trouble with the garmin soft strap and spiking/inaccuracies. Polar works just fine.
rsmith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If buying the Garmin, I'd buy the regular strap. My premium strap started giving strange readings pretty quickly. My regular strap has been going strong for a few years now so I just use that.
dancti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin HRM Chest Strap Reply with quote

tiesim wrote:
Hi All,

My chest strap for my 310xt has died so i am gonna get a replacement, now i have to choice of the premium (soft strap one) or the regular hard strap one.

I had the premium and after about a year it was giving inaccurate readings on the HR, changed the battery and it did not sore it out. I have read online this is a common problem with the premium.

So I'm contemplating buying the regular hard strap one (also slightly cheaper)

Does anyone have this one and is it waterproof (ok to swim in). I know i wont get a HR reading from it in the water.

Are there any other makes that are compatible with the 310xt, i thought i saw somewhere a polar strap works, anyone shed any light on this ?

thanks all

According to Garmin the standard strap isn't fully waterproof only the premium soft strap is. I know people have been using the standard under west suits no problem all I can say is the first time I wore my standard strap in the sea under a wetsuit it then stop working for the rest of the race, since then I have been using a premium strap without any problems.
Tri-K-Tri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at 305 HR not working on google - some guys statesthat if you bend out one of the contacts under the batter it may start working. Cheaper option than a new strap if it works.

Kevin
Tri it man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I bought the 310xt I've had no end of probs with heart rate inaccuracies. It's a load of poo and I think they know it. Mine just went over it's 1 year warranty and I called explaining the problem and they sent a new soft strap. Not really going to sort my problem. Lucky I've been using my 305 strap which has been fine in water at races.
Tucky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got myself a Polar strap, feels very comfy.

The sensor does not actually touch the skin with it though. I don't know if this makes a difference?

I used it for the first time the other night and my heart rate seemed a good 10 BPM lower than I'd have expected it to be, much lower than the guys I was training with. I'm pretty fit for me at the moment, after a summer IMUK, but I'm still not convinced.

I put in one big effort towards the end, about 1k hard with a slightly uphill sprint to finish (on the bike) and could only get my HR up to the mid 170's.

I need to check the accuracy.
Earl Mountbatten Hospice: http://www.justgiving.com/Adam-Tuck0
zl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucky wrote:
I've just got myself a Polar strap, feels very comfy.

The sensor does not actually touch the skin with it though. I don't know if this makes a difference?
Shouldn't do and interestingly the latest version of the Garmin soft strap is the same as the Polar where you clip the monitor on the strap Not like their old version where you used it to clip the ends together and had the sensor on the skin
SteveE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have a Polar S625X with the soft strap and once a year at least have to get a new strap as the old one stops working. So far for the last 4 years Polar has given me one for free. Is the Garmin strap actually worse than this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: