Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
A great day of test cricket in store
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stu l-p

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: A great day of test cricket in store Reply with quote

So far so good for England 142-4 at lunch.

Are we really the best team in the world?
Richard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a lot to do, but hopefully we will wrap it up with time to spare.

I think, currently, yes we are the best team in the world, good depth as well to keep people on their toes if not performing well. That isn't to say I think we are capable of beating any team anywhere in the world, but in England it will take a very good team performing at their very best to win a series.

One day side is average though, but hopefully improving.
newarktricky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tendulkar gone 2 balls after he should have gone!! Relatively long tail so need to get Reina and Dhoni out and the others shouldnt contribute much.

I personally feel a 1-0 series win might be better to keep them off the top and hungry for longer rather than hitting the summit and getting complacent as after the Ashes in 2005.

NT Very Happy Very Happy
Bainsy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KABOOM

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike

2014 ?
iainm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another win in this series and i think we will be best team in the world...
Yorkshire Tyke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now based in Casablanca but managed to follow the whole game on BBC updates and radio. What a fantastic game and shows why 20/20 and one day can't even come close.

I was sad for Sachin, but pleased he failed!!

The worry for us is that India had a lot of bad luck with illness and injury coming into this game. An interesting series ahead.

But well done boys. Great bowling today and in Prior we have a real match winner. He should have had man of the match.
Cenzo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel sorry for those who don't get Test cricket. Days like today are what it's all about.

"Hold me Vince" - Big Willy 21/08/10
Yorkshire Tyke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cenzo wrote:
I feel sorry for those who don't get Test cricket. Days like today are what it's all about.

+1
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cenzo wrote:

I have to agree, I see the excitment of t20, particually when tests just goes through the motions in day 5 for a draw, but quite often T20 games are one sided, it's just they are over quicker. I also think there are too many T20 games and the novelty is in danger of wearing off, then it will struggle to find it's place in the market, a bit like the 50 over version of the game is now.

Still, roll on friday, lets see if momentum works better here than it did during the Ashes last winter.
stu l-p

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as they said on TMS it was a great all round performance. even though we dropped some catches we still managed a comprehensive victory against the no1 team in the world. ok they had some injuries, if and when they make it back it will be a great contest.

on to trent bridge where the conditions should suit our bowlers.....
Yorkshire Tyke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu l-p wrote:
as they said on TMS it was a great all round performance. even though we dropped some catches we still managed a comprehensive victory against the no1 team in the world. ok they had some injuries, if and when they make it back it will be a great contest.

on to trent bridge where the conditions should suit our bowlers.....

True. First time ever I think i have felt confident about an England team. I'd like to see 5 bowlers in there though. I know you shouldn't change a winning team but, with Broad I think we have space for another bowler.

The Indians have the best batting line up in the world and if they click then i think a 4 man attack might be exposed, so I'd like to see Bresnan in there. Our batting line up is good enough to put on runs without Morgan.

What's everyone else think?
newarktricky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkshire Tyke wrote:
Cenzo wrote:

+1

+2 - loved it!!

Morgan not in the best form but Trent Bridge usually a result wicket with lots of swing

NT
Crash Hamster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with Yorkshire Tyke; our batting line-up is strong enough to manage without Morgan (a good one day player, but averages 34 in Tests and 38 in first class cricket)

I'd like to see Bresnan (averages 32 with the bat and 28 with the ball in Tests) as fourth seamer and number 7; England's batting would still be strong enough with Broad and Swann at 8 and 9 (they average over 50 between them)

Alternatively, pick a youngster like James Taylor of Leicestershire (age 21, first class average of 49) and let him bat at number 6 for the next two years without any fear of being dropped, thus developing a world-class batsman for the future.
Richard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash Hamster wrote:
I'd agree with Yorkshire Tyke; our batting line-up is strong enough to manage without Morgan (a good one day player, but averages 34 in Tests and 38 in first class cricket)

I'd like to see Bresnan (averages 32 with the bat and 28 with the ball in Tests) as fourth seamer and number 7; England's batting would still be strong enough with Broad and Swann at 8 and 9 (they average over 50 between them)

Alternatively, pick a youngster like James Taylor of Leicestershire (age 21, first class average of 49) and let him bat at number 6 for the next two years without any fear of being dropped, thus developing a world-class batsman for the future.

I like that idea, but not sure 1-0 against the worlds best team is the right time to bring him (or anyone else) in for debut. I think if a batsman is going to be left out, then on current form there is one obvious choice, but as Captain it won't happen. (and nor should it in the current circumstances). After this series though, if he doesn't get a good score or two, then there will be some serious questions as to wheather he should continue in that role or not for the good of the long term success of the team. I remember Australia did similar with Steven Waugh.

I'm not saying we should do likewise just to copy the Aussies, but if England do become the best test team, then it will get harder to stay there, and as previously said, we can't sit back and think it is all over as we did in 2005.
Yorkshire Tyke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think this is the time to start experiments with young players. We are playing the world no 1 with the aim of becoming No 1, so any changes to our team should be to strenghten it, which IMHO is what an extra bowler would do.

I think we have the right attitude and new players will get their chance. It wasn't long ago that Broad, Tremlett were new, but now they seem settled (well, Broad settled in the last game). We also have players like Finn pushing for places. This is all good for the future.

I'd just like anoter bowler as we are up against some of the finest batsmen there have ever been and Sachin and co won't fail too often. Big Bres offers something in attack that would be very useful and he can hold a bat a bit. The extra batsman seems like a defensive move to me and I don't think that attitude will take us to number 1 in the world. I hope I am wrong, because I don't think they will change the plan, but if Dravid, Laxman and Sachin get going as we know they can it could get messy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 1 of 53

Jump to: