Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Some running advice please peeps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gandalf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Some running advice please peeps Reply with quote

I have been trying to do longer distances to burn some more blubber ( in my case that's about 10K at the moment) The thing is, that in so doing my pace slows down to a crawl and my stride length diminishes to a zimmer frame shuffle. Is there any point carrying on when it gets to this stage? I seem to averaging about 4.8 miles per hour over this distance Embarassed Crying or Very sad
Even when I only do a couple of miles my stride length is pathetic, is there anything I can do about this? Final question: I am hoping to sort my bike out this week and start getting out. Is it reasonable to expect my running to improve as a result of cycling?

TIA
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gandalf - Persevere - you will get there. Just remember the "10%" rule and on this basis you will be able to do a little more next week than you did this week. Over time, you will improve, so long as you apply the overload principle and then let the body recover and adapt. And, I'm not being personal, but its my standard advice, lose weight. I know you are, but keep at it coz its the surest way of maximising your potential. I, or you, probably don't know what your potential for running is, but hey, that's half the fun!

Giantman

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
AndyS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon fellow TTers,

Suddenly my running requirements for the year have increased so Iíd better put some thought into it! Canít keep saying ďbut I only have to run 10k and not until JulyĒ can I!

Iím very conscious of the injury potential of running and find myself reluctant to bang out endless miles. I want to do enough and no more. I also want to get up to speck early in the season so if I get injured thereís plenty of time to get over it and continue work on the other sports. Although I know that sounds contradictory to the 'I want to do enough and no more' statement, running is definitely my weakest discipline and needs work.

Last week I ran 21k spread over three runs in a total time of 1hr 45mins. I plan on doing that for the next few weeks as that was an increase over the previous week where I was coming back from my Christmas hamstring injury (which is now completely fine).

OK, background over, hereís the question. I have a half marathon to run at the end of August, how early can I begin my half marathon training and how long can I sustain the results of that training? What I mean is, I watch and listen to what others are saying. Sue, my good buddy TTer (hope you donít mind me using you as an example!), trained for the Eastbourne marathon then a few months later began marathon training all over again for London. If I trained now to get my longest run up to 15/20k (is that appropriate for a half marathon?) and achieved that by early May, would it be unreasonable to sustain that level of running until the end of August with just one long and one short run per week or would that early effort be wasted because Iíd have peaked too early?

The rest of my season looks like this: Sprint distance until end of June, Olympic distance until late August the half IM at end of August so Iíd gradually be increasing the distances anyway.

So, start now or wait? Up bike now or later? Running or bike? Lost the plot?

Confused
Sue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know my 2 penneth worth Andy Very Happy

Gandalf, you have done great to get to 10k. Remember you only need 10k for an oly distance tri. As GM said you should slowly increase but every 3rd or 4th week cut back to let your body recover. And it's the slow running that burns the fat, lower HR.
Quote:
zimmer frame shuffle
-I like it Very Happy --and some of my folk can move pretty fast with theirs Wink
If you mean you are struggling with this pace, then why not keep it the same distance for a while.
Your bike should should increase your fitness overall if carry on with running as well. Renember it is early days for you --some of us can remember the feeling (sometimes still get it now!) -but know it does get easier physically and mentally Wink
JMH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS, up bike mileage now get in some base miles and try to do some Time-Trials to improve speed
AndyS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gandalf,

If weight loss is your thing then there's little better than swimming or cycling. Do nice steady bike rides and steady swims, not fast but nice and steady. I had to loose a lot of weight before I started running as I had a dodgy knee I wanted to protect and not mush up with running.

If you couple nice steady swim/bike with sensible eating then the weight just falls off. Quite alarmingly! Even consider backing the running off if your first race isn't for a long time. I waited four months before starting running and I'm sure I avoided injury as a result. Think about getting a heart rate monitor and deliberately keep your heart rate low. Take things nice and gentle.

Sue, thank you TT buddy, info is spot on. Very Happy
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gandalf, keep at it, it isn't that long ago that my long run was just over 5 mile (normaly about 70 min run at that time) but through time and keeping at it you sudenly start to feel better stronger and fitter

make a note in a log of your times and distances now and then look at them in a month/2 month and see how far you have come, GM gives some good advice to much to soon and you will find your self laid up with injurie

train wise, race hard Very Happy

Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy - You asked about peaking for your half marathon race. The perceived wisdom is that your longest run should be two weeks away from race day. This is close enough to give you that psychological edge of knowing that you can go the distance, but far enough away to allow time for adaptation/recovery. But often, the more difficult question is not when, but how far? Personally, I would not feel happy going into any long distance race not having completed at least 75% distance in training on several occasions. For a half marathon novice, I would suggest that you need to feel comfortable at running 10 miles. believe me, the adrenaline on race day will get you the extra 3.1 miles!

So putting all this into practice, you should start now to build up your run distance - not forgetting the 10% rule - so that by the beginning of August you are ready to run 10 miles. THis will allow you to run two 10 mile distances in the first half of AUgust with the rest of the month taken as recovery and a little rest. If you are running about 7km (4.3 miles) now, you have over 5 months to build up to the extra 5.7 miles - well within the 10% rule. It may be of course that you make even better progress and that you are able to handle 10 miles by July. In that case, I would suggest that you do a couple more 10 mile runs in July/August and make your final long run say 12 miles at a slower pace than the 10 mile runs. But because of the ever present risk of injury, always err on the side of caution - slowly, slowly catchee monkey.....Good luck

Giantman

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gandalf, firstly well done on all the Oscars last night.............sorry Rolling Eyes

There may not be a problem here, even though you might think there is. If burning blubber is the aim it is most effective to train at a lower heart rate ( and usually therefore a lower intensity). As your heart rate increases the percentage of fat used for fuel decreases and carbohydrate takes over. The optimum heart rate for fat burning will depend on your age, fitness etc and there is plenty of advice on the net and probably on here too as to how to find your fat burning zone.
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm no expert.. but i agree with everyone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: