Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
How bad at swimming am I?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 291, 292, 293  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
putt putt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of good stuff on here already.

The only advice I would give you is never take advice from me on a swimming thread.

As for standards.........I learn to swim in oct/nov 2004. In Spring 2005 i did my first 400m pool swim based tri in 9.02 and it felt a long way!

by 2007 that was down to about 8ish and by 2009 7.30 (as a one off). now close to 7mins so its been a hard slog.........and I have tried - honest guv......at the end of the day its technique based and some people pick up technique better than others.

At the moment you dont know - you could be a natural!
Triple IM 09, DecaIron (137h- 4th) 09, GUCR 10, 2.46 Mara Apr 11, 9.38 Roth 11, 9.57 IMUK 11 (Q Kona). 2012 - 5th AG nat dua, 9.27 TBW (1st). 2013 Tampa Dble (24.13 - 3rd), Oct Mara 2.49 (1st) 2014 Gin Pit 2.58 (CR)/3.15, AG Gold GB Duo March15 (50-54)
SteveI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highroad wrote:
Hi all, Ive looked at the swim smooth site and it does look good. However before discovering swimsmooth I came came across "Total Immersion" so I bought the dvd. total perpetual motion. As a result of the dvd I am more than capable of swimming distances fairly comfortably but not quickly. The two styles look very different. Interested to hear thoughts on the differences and suggested better method.

I personally like the ideas of the swimsmooth guys much more than those of the TI guys. I've always thought the TI stuff is based on a lot of misconceptions about how top swimmers actually swim. TI will undoubtedly help a bad swimmer become less bad, but in my view it is ultimately a limiting approach, and IMO people are better off starting off as they mean to carry on, using the swimsmooth approach rather than going down the dead end of TI and forming habits that might be impossible to break later on.
blatchcorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried so far to follow swimsmooth as best I can to avoid these bad habits. I have got breathing on both sides covered. First thing the novice swim programme trys to teach though is a good catch/pull.
SteveI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blatchcorn wrote:
I have tried so far to follow swimsmooth as best I can to avoid these bad habits. I have got breathing on both sides covered. First thing the novice swim programme trys to teach though is a good catch/pull.

I'd be interested to hear how your times progress as you work through the DVD, so feel free to post your times on this thread whenever you feel you've made progress.
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blatchcorn wrote:

one thign from the catch masterclass DVD that I dont think is highlighted in the normal DVD's is about the sculling drills. They are very good and important, but when sculling tilt the wrist down as if you are actually entering the water, then keep the elbow higher than the wrist. This ingrains this technique which means you are setting up for a nice catch rather than either putting the brakes on or pulling down on the water.

watch this video....Its awesome...comes in two parts but focus on Jono's long stroke and catch and note that although he looks long, hes not "braking" at all and theres no glide or pause at the entry and catch stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8SEJpvZSOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yiSZP4PQCs

Last edited by hammerer on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
blatchcorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to post my times as I work my way through the DVD's training. I will post my first session tomorrow and will try and do 3 swims a week as recommended.

Thanks hammerer
Crozza

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blatchcorn wrote:
I'd be happy to post my times as I work my way through the DVD's training. I will post my first session tomorrow and will try and do 3 swims a week as recommended.

Thanks hammerer

I'll try and join you - I have finally found time to view the first DVD and have a look at the training plan, so am going to try and spend the next 8 weeks doing it

off to the pool at lunch today as it happens so can anyone tell me what the first session off the DVD is?! I recall it involves a 1k TT but what about the rest?

FWIW my 400m time is probably about 6:30 or so at the mo.
blatchcorn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the first swim smooth training session today
I did the 400m time trial in 8 mins 52 secs. Although it is still pretty slow, an improvement of about a min and a half is pretty good just from watching the DVD and doing their drills in the warm up.
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blatchcorn wrote:
I did the 400m time trial in 8 mins 52 secs. Although it is still pretty slow, an improvement of about a min and a half is pretty good just from watching the DVD and doing their drills in the warm up.

session 3 is fun Twisted Evil get ready for the burn.
Crozza

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blatchcorn wrote:

I thought the first session had a 1k TT? I really must print off the sessions.

I went up yesterday for a mess around and after a slow swim warm up did 400m in 6:20, not eyeballs out but pretty hard. I was surprised the lifeguard didn't jump inmto save me as by the end I just felt like I was thrashing around like a drowning man.

after some slow swimming recovery did another 400m, this time at an easy effort not worrying about speed at all, just concentrating on trying to swim long, keeping my legs up and not lift my head when breathing. I did 6:35 for much less effort.

maybe it is all about the technique after all
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crozza wrote:
blatchcorn wrote:

I thought the first session had a 1k TT? I really must print off the sessions.

I went up yesterday for a mess around and after a slow swim warm up did 400m in 6:20, not eyeballs out but pretty hard. I was surprised the lifeguard didn't jump inmto save me as by the end I just felt like I was thrashing around like a drowning man.

after some slow swimming recovery did another 400m, this time at an easy effort not worrying about speed at all, just concentrating on trying to swim long, keeping my legs up and not lift my head when breathing. I did 6:35 for much less effort.

maybe it is all about the technique after all

beginenr is 400 intermediate 1k and advanced 1500 IIRC...the difference between the 3 levels is distance per set in the main part.
kevb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a beginner to swimming myself; 18 months ago I couldn't swim 2 lengths without gasping like i'd just sprinted 400m! I have found the following 3 things usefull in improving endurance and speed;

-leg kick; getting it as smooth and streamlined as possible
-understanding what the 'catch' is; I don't always do it and not particularly well, but I now know where my arm should be and what it should be doing.
-practice; the breathing gets easier, endurance improves and things start to sync up.

I swam a 9:19 in my first tri (400m) last year, 7:50 this year including the run to transition. I'm swimming 1500 sub-30min and 3k in 1:01, so really pleased with one years effort. I seem to only have one pace though, so need to work on that next!
highroad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am going to to buy the swim smooth dvd's and work on it over the winter. I only started swimming last year completeley from scratch, no lessons just watching you tube clips then bought a TI DVD. For ages now my 65 length time trial (25m Pool) has consistantly been 32 minutes although Its now a lot easier than it use to be but when I do put a bit of welly into it I still get 32 minutes but more tired. Back to the drawing board with swim smooth. Will stick someup to date times on soon.
highroad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blatchcorn, crozza if you dont mind I will jump on the swimsmooth dvd bandwagon with you. Havent got them yet and off on holiday til next week so they should be ready for me when I get back. After faffing around a bit Did a timed 100m today (25m pool) in 1.37 minutes as a starting point.
blatchcorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to do session 2 today but got to the pool and there is some godam gala on. Thanks for the notice Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 291, 292, 293  Next
Page 3 of 293

Jump to: