Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
How bad at swimming am I?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 288, 289, 290, 291  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoTriBri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:

Well done mate Very Happy What sort of times do you normally hit for a tri swim?

I will have a go at a 1500m TT some point this week as a benchmark. Having done 10x200 last week at ~1:20/100m, I'm going to try for that elusive sub-20!

Unfortunately TriSam, the clue is in the name. Its NoTriBri, worn out knee means no running so officially retired from triathlon 5 years ago, just the odd sprint distance Tri or aquathlon for fun. Still train with the tri club though, fools gave me life membership. Very Happy

Nice time if you can go sub 20, good luck with that. I was looking for 22:30 & just failed. Next time......

Y Fenni Tri Club Abergavenny.
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should've put 2 and 2 together! D'oh

Surely with your CSS, you should be aiming for around 21 minutes rather than 22:30?
NoTriBri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
I should've put 2 and 2 together! D'oh

Surely with your CSS, you should be aiming for around 21 minutes rather than 22:30?

I'd hope so, just need to actually train at that pace now & see where I get to. Hadn't tested it for so long & was working on 1:30s.

1:24s are going to hurt for a bit though. Cool

Y Fenni Tri Club Abergavenny.
Muriel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got round to a new password!!!

Anyway, after learning to swim in 2010 I then had years of high volume and getting NO faster until a couple of sessions with swim canary wharf and then TriSwim in T Wells. I've seen a quite drastic overnight improvement. Used to be happy with a 30 sec length. That's now gone to 26/27 quite comfortably with just a couple of technical changes and pretty much f all swimming.

Started on 3 swims a week two weeks back, 1xhard session which normally includes 20x25 off 5RI and 5x100 off tempo trainer then a technical set off swimsmooth followed by a distance set off my IM training schedule.

I do struggle in open wate to be quick so I'll be spending at least 1 session per week in open water as soon as it's warm enough. Plus I need to find a wetsuit which is super thin on the shoulders and arms.

Anyway that's me, I'll follow this post with interest.
BART14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad at swimming am I? Reply with quote

[quote="blatchcorn"]The furthest I have swam is 800m without stopping. I can swim 200m in just under 5 mins and 400m just over 10 mins.

I have recently started swimming and already know this is going to be by far my weakest discipline, but how bad am I for someone just starting out? Before you started triathlons what was your swimming standard?[/quote]

As someone new to triathlon, I feel exactly the same that my swimming will be my weakest discipline. The fact that you can swim 800m without stopping though is fantastic so for me, you are not bad at swimming!! I am a strong runner and passable cyclist and would consider myself in good shape generally but I have been in the pool twice a week for the last 4 weeks now and cannot swim more than 1 50m length in front crawl without getting out of breath and my form going to pot! With a short rest in between, I can swim up to 1000m but this is not useful in terms of an open water swim.

I have planned my first sprint tri at the end of June but am getting concerned about my swim endurance. Do you have any useful tips? How did you build up to 800m so quickly??
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in response to the above post, I re-started swimming this year as I attempt my first triathlon. If you have good endurance at other sports, it doesn't mean you have good swim endurance as it's very different muscle groups, breathing etc.

I try to swim at least once a week (which I know isn't much, but I can't commit any more than that right now). In fact, Garmin says I have done 9 swims since December (pathetic really) but I did swim at club level when I was a teen and so had reasonable form.

If you are out of breath after one length I would suggest that it is likely to be that you have bad form and would suggest getting someone who knows swim strokes to watch you, either get a few lessons to get you started or through a tri club.

As for me, I had a breakthrough swim session this morning off the back of a more consistent Feb/March and did 800m non-stop in 16 mins. Followed by a 40s 50m and a 1m50s 100m. So slowly getting better.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3800m 01:16:45

300m wu
3200m main + slow jog around the pool at halfway
300m wd

Moderate effort so fairly happy where I'm at 11 weeks out from IMUK
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

300m wu
300m wd

good effort for a pool swim...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

Especially mentally if thats a 3k straight swim. Not sure I'd have the mental will in a pool on own.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, straight apart from a jog at halfway. I kind of settle in after 2-2.5km. I've got the same set but as a hard TT at the end of the week, we'll see how that goes.

Occasionally I hear triathletes say "always swim with paddles and a pull buoy", is there any truth/value to that or is it just another thing people say?
twhat

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

300m wu
300m wd

Blimey i'll second that. Mental strength to swim that far continuous in a (25m ?) pool is awesome. Fairplay. Stick a wetsuit on and you'll be bouncing out of that lake fresh as a daisy !

I swam for only about the third time in 3 years yesterday. Managed to fit in 6x200m while my son had his swimming lesson. All at or just under 3m30s off 4mins. As i was never really much better than a 25min 1500m swimmer... I'm amazed how much it has stuck.....
Really gave me the taste to get back into it but its so much harder to fit into 'life' than running these days. I'm nursing a slightly damaged hamstring since VLM so cant really run but i might try and see if i can start getting to the pool regularly while it recovers. Next i'll be dusting my bike down and entering a triathlon....

ps.. paddles and buoy.. afaik.. to be used in moderation only...
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

Occasionally I hear triathletes say "always swim with paddles and a pull buoy", is there any truth/value to that or is it just another thing people say?

Think this was posted in different thread last week

http://trisutto.com/the-pull-buoy-debate-2/

As a swimmer I used very sparingly, but use more now when thinking about any upcoming OW to get used to different style of swim and for building endurance in arms to keep churning out longer distances.
Not sure I'd stretch as far as always, but I see some sense in the argument especially for adult onset swimmers who are training for a wetsuit swim, that focusing on trying to become a swimmer and have that body position is wasted effort when the wetsuit will mostly do that for them.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri'ing Swimmer wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

Think this was posted in different thread last week

http://trisutto.com/the-pull-buoy-debate-2/

As a swimmer I used very sparingly, but use more now when thinking about any upcoming OW to get used to different style of swim and for building endurance in arms to keep churning out longer distances.
Not sure I'd stretch as far as always, but I see some sense in the argument especially for adult onset swimmers who are training for a wetsuit swim, that focusing on trying to become a swimmer and have that body position is wasted effort when the wetsuit will mostly do that for them.

I may alternate my endurance swims with and without pull buoy, the difference would be interesting anyway.

I've never used paddles though, have a feeling they're better for drills before ant after the main set.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 'big' paddles during some of my drills after my w/u. Only for catch-up/backstroke and banded legs (no float). So only 300m in total. My main set is usually 2k, of which half might be with a pull-buoy and finger paddles (doing 100 or 200 reps). The finger paddles help with your catch and stroke, without slowing the stroke rate down or unduly stressing your joints/muscles.

I used to swim a lot less without a pull buoy, but it hasn't made any difference to my OW times i.e. I haven't really changed from 59/60 mins since my first IM - I hit a plateau rapidly and stayed there. Tbh since I'm 43 now, I'm happy with 59 min Cool

I've also found that dropping the long pool swims didn't make any difference either, as long as I covered the distance in my intervals, and didn't take too much rest. I'll start OW swimming next week, that's where the long swims will be done, along with my usual 2 pool sessions.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

300m wu
300m wd

Whilst mentally hard for sure, a good push-off means you're only swimming around 20m/length. If you grab-turn, you also get more oxygen and a tiny rest too. Just sayin' Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 288, 289, 290, 291  Next
Page 289 of 291

Jump to: