Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
How bad at swimming am I?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 291, 292, 293

View previous topic :: View next topic  
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
PCP wrote:
Tumble turns. I've made it my mission to nail them as I plan on swimming 8k+ a week over the winter.
I tried a about 20 last week in a midday session in the pool on my own and managed to get 5-6 correct with 2 of those pretty much perfect, the rest either too close, too far away, kicking myself into the bottom of the pool and once nearly into the next lane Laughing

My question is - if you approach the wall coming in off the 'wrong' arm, what do you do? Do you learn to tumble off both arms or learn to adjust your stroke so you get there at the same point every time?

Any tips?

I'm no expert but i did learn to tumble turn a few years back and found it worth the effort, it seemed to give a boost to my times, at the time. I dont think it matters which arm....as i fatigue and spl increase i need to use different arms for the final stroke.. i just leave that arm by my side and tumble with two arms by my side, extending them both above my head underwater ready for the push off.

Swam for about the second time in 3 years at the weekend. I swim off the pace clock/ tempo trainer but recently acquired a discounted apple watch (series 2) so recorded the session on that. Very impressed by the accuracy of the data, even if i have got much slower... 400m warm up and 6 x 250 was accurately recorded and presented on my phone for post swim analysis.

IN case anyone is interested.. the splits were 1.48/100,1.49,1.49,1.53,1.55. I used to swim 1500m at or close to 1.40/100m. Thats what 3 years out the water does i guess

Wink
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, so I don't need to use my arm to propel myself forward into the turn.
Finish stroke (off either arm), don't extend other arm then tumble.

I'll give it a try.
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I think there's a balance to be struck hammerer.

I've done what you've suggested for the past few years. But as detailed a few posts ago in this thread, also then paid for a 1:1 session. That was with the same club coach that I've been swimming with for those past few years though, so he knew my swimming fairly well anyway, and had been giving me regular pointers over that time. The 1:1 aspect just enabled him to really focus in on me rather than spread his time around a number of others in the club sessions, and then build some specific drills sessions to do in my own time to try and hone the tweaks.

I'm then also getting him inherently checking on my progress during the club swims.

For 30, I thought it was value for money. Would agree that a simple one-off session however might not be quite so productive.

Its not about 121 but its about the cost/reward ratio at some of these places, you did the right thing and got a good price, a little more than the coach usually gets for a club session at some clubs in London.

same response to Buzz_

For me its frustrating that people with sometimes little swim knowledge apart for a few hours on a BTF course charge a fortune just to tell you that your arms cross over or your legs sink. I could guess that just by reading someones times as its what nearly all improvers do! It does help in some cases only short term but its not ideal and a very expensive way of doing thigns.

anyway off my soap box Wink
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
PCP wrote:
Tumble turns. I've made it my mission to nail them as I plan on swimming 8k+ a week over the winter.
I tried a about 20 last week in a midday session in the pool on my own and managed to get 5-6 correct with 2 of those pretty much perfect, the rest either too close, too far away, kicking myself into the bottom of the pool and once nearly into the next lane Laughing

My question is - if you approach the wall coming in off the 'wrong' arm, what do you do? Do you learn to tumble off both arms or learn to adjust your stroke so you get there at the same point every time?

Any tips?

accelerate into the wall. finish first stroke and leave arm by side, finish second stroke leave that arm by side flip onto back and push off on back, torpedo roll onto front after youve left the wall but still underwater, 2 dolphin kicks and go . Its just practice, dont breath as soon as you surface either as you'll create loads of drag. One tip I remember is when the hands are both behind try palm down and think you are pushing down on water to help initiate flip. It seems to help but not something I do.

Buzz_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
For me its frustrating that people with sometimes little swim knowledge apart for a few hours on a BTF course charge a fortune just to tell you that your arms cross over or your legs sink. I could guess that just by reading someones times as its what nearly all improvers do! It does help in some cases only short term but its not ideal and a very expensive way of doing thigns.

I agree, it's the quality of the feedback that is important. I wouldn't go to someone unless I knew them or had a personal recommendation. I don't need someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong, I need someone to tell me how to correct what I'm doing wrong. If all they are going to say is look at youtube videos then it's certainly not vfm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 291, 292, 293
Page 293 of 293

Jump to: