Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Fueling Very Early Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Fueling Very Early Training Reply with quote

I am currently getting to race weight, which is going fine. For short runs in the morning I will go n an empty stomach and that works fine. But for long runs i have found I need energy before and during.

The problem I am finding is getting something in that digests quickly. Last week I ate an energy bar 20 mins before and took some gels. I crashed at 7km. I rested for about 5 mins, took a gel and felt better. I don't think the bar had digested.

Tomorrow I have 21km planned. I need to be home by 7 to get the kids ready so I will have to leave the house at 5. I am not getting up at 4 to have breakfast. What is the best thing to have? I am thinking an energy drink? On an empty stomach that should be digested almost straight away? Then take some gels with me?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't you be better off running shorter, say 15km, going slower, but not taking any gels so that you can train your body to use fat reserves and glycogen stored in your liver, rather than relying on gels to fuel your exercise.

If I am doing a Triathlon, Half Marathon or Marathon, I take a gel every 30 mins, however, if I am training, I don't take any nutrition on a 21k run
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

run slower

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flapjack!

Buy the tray bakes from Tesco for very little, Full of sugar for the instant hit then Oats for some more slow burning energy.

+ Coffee obviously

I really couldn't run that soon after waking up though, I could also probably manage 21km on an empty stomach if I had had a good late meal.
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21k should be fine with just water... try harder Wink
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
21k should be fine with just water... try harder Wink

This morning all I ate was a peanut and piece of ice. Very Happy

I had 500ml energy drink before I went, seemed to be ok. I had my first gel earlier to get that in before I started to flag and it was all fine this morning.

Getting up at 4:40 was less than fun.
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly train up to 2 hours pre breakfast with nothing before apart from a black coffee. f I am doing long or hard stuff I'll make sure I eat a good meal the night before and maybe a snack just before bed. But I find it gets me round.

So many races so little time.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few examples.

When I was doing my long runs (16-20 miles) before Outlaw, I would have a body-builders liquid meal when I got up (MP Hurricane Extreme) and would take a bottle of water to stash for the loops whilst running.

Last Sunday, I had a cup of tea & spoon of Coconut oil before I went for a 70km ride @7.30, then ate nothing until about 1.30pm. You just start steady and ride at the appropriate intensity.

If I'm exercising up to an hour - just a cup of tea & some water. I don't do hard sessions first thing i.e. turbo trainer intervals; tried it, and I was baggage. Swim intervals first thing, not quite so bad.

Sounds to me like the OP is relying too much on sugar-heavy sports nutrition pre exercise.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
A few examples.

When I was doing my long runs (16-20 miles) before Outlaw, I would have a body-builders liquid meal when I got up (MP Hurricane Extreme) and would take a bottle of water to stash for the loops whilst running.

Last Sunday, I had a cup of tea & spoon of Coconut oil before I went for a 70km ride @7.30, then ate nothing until about 1.30pm. You just start steady and ride at the appropriate intensity.

If I'm exercising up to an hour - just a cup of tea & some water. I don't do hard sessions first thing i.e. turbo trainer intervals; tried it, and I was baggage. Swim intervals first thing, not quite so bad.

Sounds to me like the OP is relying too much on sugar-heavy sports nutrition pre exercise.

This.

As someone who HATES eating quickly after getting up I have experimented a lot with this. My results for what works (for me)

- 'steady pace' run up to two hours I can do on a black coffee, also low tempo intervals up to 90mins
- longer steady bike ride. oats/banana/yogurt but blended in a nutribullet can ride straight away
- swimming - can't eat before. - is a bit of a problem...:
- swimming up to about 3km - black coffee - no problem even for intervals
- swimming more than 3.5km - problem. can do as one offs. Or at lower intensity. So longer interval sets are out of the question

Anything just under, at or above threshold running or bike, don't even think about it, it just doesn't work.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything up to an hour, just water. Up to 2 hours, small bowl of porridge and some electrolyte drink.

Really don't like exercising after eating.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could probably manage 3h+ at the right intensity on the bike first thing, with just that dollop of coconut oil and water on the bike. Tbh, as long as you take the first 30 min or so easy, you're not going to bonk if you ride Z2 with some Z3 for 2-3 hours in the morning.

Try it, you'll be surprised Smile
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I could probably manage 3h+ at the right intensity on the bike first thing, with just that dollop of coconut oil and water on the bike. Tbh, as long as you take the first 30 min or so easy, you're not going to bonk if you ride Z2 with some Z3 for 2-3 hours in the morning.

Coconut oil in coffee. Do you scoop a bit out and just dunk it in the coffee, leaving it to melt?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Coconut oil in coffee. Do you scoop a bit out and just dunk it in the coffee, leaving it to melt?

No, I just man-up and eat it off the spoon Wink
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

No, I just man-up and eat it off the spoon Wink

Yuk! Not a nice thought!

If you do stick it on your coffee, do you have to stick it in a blender to mix?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I have never stuck Cocnut Oil in hot drinks. I always drink Tea first thing, so I neck the oil and then wash it down with Tea. What doesn't kill you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: