Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Longer rides
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mw22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Longer rides Reply with quote

Anyone got any pointers for doing longer rides.
Got a possible ride that will be 180ish miles.

For reference... have a couple of long distance tris with bike splits both under 5:30. Did a 100 earlier in the year on roadie in similar time (albeit with some drafting).

No time for any additional training. Social ride for first half, and then solo second half. Assume top of the list is pacing, know I need to back right off from the stuff mentioned previously.
Likely to have time for a decent meal at halfway - if thats of benefit (I'm thinking it will be more to let the contact points have some respite).

So, is it doable? Anything I can do to make it "easier"?

Thanks
Mike
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep eating little and often.

Think about your contact points so you are as comfortable as possible.

Sun cream!
mw22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping eating will be much easier without the normal "race" intensity...

Got arm coolers so might wear them throughout to keep sun off. But valid point as the head does like to burn.

Not sure I can do much about contact points now. Hoping cafe stop plus lunch will give me enough blood flow back to places that need the blood flowing Shocked

Anymore?? However obvious.
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacing, hydration, fuelling... all the usual stuff just more of Smile

Some decent real food is good, altho 180 maybe isn't quite far enough to worry THAT much.
If you do have a decent size meal then be prepared to adjust your fuelling for a few hours after as you may not feel like taking on more food at that time!

Break it up mentally into smaller chunks especially later on.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other thing I would suggest is to break the ride up on your Garmin and have some planned stops as well as your halfway one. 4 x 45miles is easier to mentally cope with than 1x180. The smaller stops probably only need to be a few minutes off the bike to have a stretch, eat some food, put the next bit of the route on your Garmin and off you go.

Re contact points; for example after 100 miles or so I get ‘hot foot’ and the balls of my feet get very sore. I can usually ward this off on most longer rides with a very liberal dose of Vaseline all over my feet.
mw22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a planned cafe stop on the way out.... I think mentally I'll be fine to half way and briefly beyond.
I do struggle "mentally" overcoming things, I certainly found that as difficult as progressing physically when training for the long distance Tris.

The bit after 150 is giving me the most wobbles at the minute.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mw22 wrote:
I think there's a planned cafe stop on the way out.... I think mentally I'll be fine to half way and briefly beyond.
I do struggle "mentally" overcoming things, I certainly found that as difficult as progressing physically when training for the long distance Tris.

The bit after 150 is giving me the most wobbles at the minute.

I’m sure you’ll be fine. At the end of the day it’s not a race, so if needs be, knock the pace back, take in the scenery, eat, drink and enjoy.
kevb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe arrange for a mate or two to meet you at the 140-150 mile mark and pace you home?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing it on a TT bike, you have my sympathy! Tbh apart from Century training rides on my TT bike, the only thing further I've done outside Ironman was a 405km Audax back in May (Brevet Cymru) and fortunately that was on an endurance road bike. I guess 180 miles sits right in the middle of those distances.

I think your best approach is to simply take it as miles in the bank, rather than trying to average a speed anywhere near your IM pace. Over 405km I had two hot meal stops (150 & 297km). My 'low point' was at around 250km, when I could feel the lights start to fade, so I crammed-in some garage flapjack Very Happy Then the cheese & beans on toast and a cuppa in Llandovery at 297km really sorted me out, then actually thinking about it, I had soup & apple pie(separately!) at the final control at 350km too Smile

I would say treat it as an adventure, pick a scenic interesting route, don't worry about average speeds and plan a proper hot meal stop somewhere around 110-120 miles, and stick a shorter café stop in there somewhere. If nothing else, a ride this long will help you mentally, as it's the time spent alone on a bike that kills me!

If there's one thing seasoned Audaxers must develop, it has to be an encyclopaedic knowledge of convenience stores Razz
mw22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend idea is great... if I had any - that rode - somewhere close to where I'll need them. Got 1 option which I'll try and tap up.

Found a decent village 35 miles into the return which has plenty of food options and places that appear to be open on a Sunday!

Doing it on a roadie... 112 on TT is plenty enough for me to want to throw it in a hedge. So yeah, not fussed on pace - other than the quicker I go, the quicker I can finish.

Don't know the roads particularly well, picked a stack of B roads and shortest route based on that. Couple of lumps in it but mostly flat.

Hoping the group I go out with can ferry me a supply bag, so at halfway I'll be fully stocked!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mw22 wrote:

Doing it on a roadie... 112 on TT is plenty enough for me to want to throw it in a hedge.

Snap. Being able to see where you're going without breaking your neck, and forgiving 28mm tyres make it so much more pleasant don't they; not to mention the gooch issues.

I would definitely recommend a 300/400km Audax as good prep for an Ironman; if nothing else it's a great adventure if you pick a good route, and you get to meet new people and eat pies.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
My 'low point' was at around 250km, when I could feel the lights start to fade, so I crammed-in some garage flapjack Very Happy

i found a random petrol station on a very long ride around Wales....they only had a family sized bag of salt and vinegar hula hoops in stock and i sat on the forecourt and ate the lot...

awesome fuelling strategy...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
My 'low point' was at around 250km, when I could feel the lights start to fade, so I crammed-in some garage flapjack Very Happy

i found a random petrol station on a very long ride around Wales....they only had a family sized bag of salt and vinegar hula hoops in stock and i sat on the forecourt and ate the lot...

I thought it was law that petrol stations and convenience stores in rural locations had to stock those 500kcal flapjacks Very Happy
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I thought it was law that petrol stations and convenience stores in rural locations had to stock those 500kcal flapjacks Very Happy

i had bonked a good hour or so before and dropped off the pace.....those ahead must have stripped it bare....

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

co-op ftw:
cheese & onion sarnie
thai flavour mccoys
OJ
chocolate twist
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: