Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
TrainerRoad.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hunkydory




Joined: 06 Oct 2013
Posts: 81
Location: Shepperton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think following avg power output is pretty pointless on the turbo, unless you are doing a long steady ride. For anything that is more interval based the whole idea is to be up and down and hitting the power requirement for the segment. i.e. your segment is at 92% percent for 2 minutes with a 30 second surge at 107% at the end, repeated a few times. This means that you would have to do a super long recovery to get anywhere near your target average power. Granted, some workouts are based in that zone, but for the most part those rides are better done outside. turbo is all about improving and that means getting to a place near blowing up...

Well, that's my opinion anyway.
_________________
inveterata dolorem, et gloria in aeternum.

www.mikajanhunen.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1175

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take was people were talking about having AP for a particular interval on target, not about AP for the entire session.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tri Curious




Joined: 08 Jul 2006
Posts: 280
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
My take was people were talking about having AP for a particular interval on target, not about AP for the entire session.


Yep that is what i was asking.

I am new to power and find it difficult to keep at steady watts the interval asks for so wanted an average to follow while in the interval so i can fine tune how much power i am putting down.
I suppose with time i will be able to judge my power output better and keep it steady.

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1175

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



Just to evidence what I meant in my original post, taking this screenshot of a trainerroad app screen which I found on Google images, the white dot which the red arrow is pointing towards is your interval AP, whilst the yellow arrow is pointing towards the line which represents the interval AP target. If you align the dot with the line, you're on target for that interval. The bar (in this case red and matched up with the interval average dot*) shows your instantaneous power, with the colour dictating if you're on target (green) or not (red - the colour changes depending on how far out you are).

Note that the white dot doesnt show up during all intervals from memory, so during warm ups etc it isnt present.

*the reason for this is that the preceding interval has just finished, so the rider hasnt had a chance to drop to recovery power yet, and the interval AP is precisely the instantaneous power as a new interval only just started.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TrevorDeRuise




Joined: 27 May 2014
Posts: 20
Location: Reno-Tahoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:


Just to evidence what I meant in my original post, taking this screenshot of a trainerroad app screen which I found on Google images, the white dot which the red arrow is pointing towards is your interval AP, whilst the yellow arrow is pointing towards the line which represents the interval AP target. If you align the dot with the line, you're on target for that interval. The bar (in this case red and matched up with the interval average dot*) shows your instantaneous power, with the colour dictating if you're on target (green) or not (red - the colour changes depending on how far out you are).

Note that the white dot doesnt show up during all intervals from memory, so during warm ups etc it isnt present.

*the reason for this is that the preceding interval has just finished, so the rider hasnt had a chance to drop to recovery power yet, and the interval AP is precisely the instantaneous power as a new interval only just started.


Precisely, great explanation. Here's a little more insight with this support article: Live Workout Display Explained
_________________
Professional Mtb Racer & Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tri Curious




Joined: 08 Jul 2006
Posts: 280
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that guys very informative.

Does this all carry over to the minimal view?

Cheers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gingerbongo




Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1218
Location: Devon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what sessions on TR would be best suited for a duathlon held on this course:

https://www.strava.com/activities/292321355/overview

It's basically 10 x laps of a 1.5km velopark course. I've never done a du before and have never been to such a course.

My immediate thoughts are that there will be a lot of accelerations with the 2 almost dead turns and the 2 slow curves. TTing ability isn't really going to be needed here i guess?!

I'm guessing getting outside and improving my handling and braking skills would pay dividends on such a course? It shouldn't be too busy (50 odd athletes) as it's a pretty low key event.

It's, hopefully, my first race back after months of injury, with a lot of office pride at stake as i compete against a couple of friends!

Cheers
GB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2042
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got time to set up and do another FTP test yesterday, the virtual power seemed to work and met the 200W target. That said I didn't exactly break myself doing it, so perhaps could be higher.

I fired some questions to TR that haven't been resolved, and with my weekly volume I can't realistically fit in regular turbo sessions so I'll be cancelling my membership.
_________________
Iron '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nobbie




Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Posts: 4394
Location: Wilmslow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
I got time to set up and do another FTP test yesterday, the virtual power seemed to work and met the 200W target. That said I didn't exactly break myself doing it, so perhaps could be higher.

I fired some questions to TR that haven't been resolved, and with my weekly volume I can't realistically fit in regular turbo sessions so I'll be cancelling my membership.


What questions haven't been resolved? I've had an ongoing issue and they've been very good at trying to get to the bottom of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1175

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I've also had near immediate customer service assistance whenever I've contacted them.

I havent been on the turbo for months, yet still keep my membership active. It's 6-7 a month, and worth way more than that when I get back into the cycling for later season triathlons, once my marathon is out of the way. So I dont mind paying it when I'm not actively using it. Half the time I use it for the training plans anyway, and then just do the sessions on wattbikes at the gym (as I'm an android user, so cant perform the session on an app - yet).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2042
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobbie wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
I got time to set up and do another FTP test yesterday, the virtual power seemed to work and met the 200W target. That said I didn't exactly break myself doing it, so perhaps could be higher.

I fired some questions to TR that haven't been resolved, and with my weekly volume I can't realistically fit in regular turbo sessions so I'll be cancelling my membership.


What questions haven't been resolved? I've had an ongoing issue and they've been very good at trying to get to the bottom of it.


Indeed the technical support is exemplary. They couldn't help with my question on fitting in with my 200-300km weekly commutes and run/swim training, and asked me to submit it to the podcast, which I did - but no response.

I suspect from previous podcasts that they would encourage me to reduce my commutes, but that's not going to happen at least until May.
_________________
Iron '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hunkydory




Joined: 06 Oct 2013
Posts: 81
Location: Shepperton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if people will agree with me, but I am pretty conviced that the Trainer Road workous are mostly designed by women, probably some evil nazi torturer women to be precise. Men are simply incapable of such cruelty... Last night I put myself through Shortoff+2. (2x(3x4min) at 120% FTP. Just horrible. I am still shaking and I think I have gone deaf in one ear.

just thought I'd share.
_________________
inveterata dolorem, et gloria in aeternum.

www.mikajanhunen.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gingerbongo




Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1218
Location: Devon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTP retest planned for me tonight.

As noted earlier, this is my first foray into turbos and trainerroad and anything resembling power based training (or proper bike training for that matter!).

I totally smashed out some pretty pi$$poor numbers the first time around, one of the lowest in the TT TR group (although it is 'only' VP, so could be higher ... or could be lower!), but kind of expected that having not touched my bike in months and in the middle of a long term running injury.

I managed 8 sessions over the past 6 weeks, but have started a few easy runs a week now as well, so i do hope that i will show some sort of improvement, even if it's not revolutionary. Hopefully i'll see a bigger jump in the next 6 week block as my fitness starts to (hopefully) return.

GB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1175

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
FTP retest planned for me tonight.

As noted earlier, this is my first foray into turbos and trainerroad and anything resembling power based training (or proper bike training for that matter!).

I totally smashed out some pretty pi$$poor numbers the first time around, one of the lowest in the TT TR group (although it is 'only' VP, so could be higher ... or could be lower!), but kind of expected that having not touched my bike in months and in the middle of a long term running injury.

I managed 8 sessions over the past 6 weeks, but have started a few easy runs a week now as well, so i do hope that i will show some sort of improvement, even if it's not revolutionary. Hopefully i'll see a bigger jump in the next 6 week block as my fitness starts to (hopefully) return.

GB


I'd imagine you'll see improvement. Not least because you've done a test before, so mentally know what's coming, but also because you'll have the target lines based on the FTP of your first test, and you'll have the motivation to want to beat them and stay above that line! ("I did this before, there's no way I'm falling behind the line this time around!")

Good luck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tri_longer




Joined: 04 Aug 2012
Posts: 1405
Location: Bobbing along on the bottom of the beautiful briney

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re did my FTP Tuesday after 6 weeks of low volume base 2, up from 260 to 275. result.

However, I think I may have been exerting a bit too much as think I've pulled either intercostals or my diaphragm. Either way, hurts to breath deeply at the moment.
_________________
Life is like a box of chocolates, you can guarantee you'll pick the coffee cream

http://chrisgoesracing.blogspot.co.uk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 59 of 61
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.