Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
TrainerRoad.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61, 62  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good skills tri_longer!

The opposite for me unfortunately, gave up half way through the 2nd 8 min interval. In hindsight (isn't it great), i'm obviously not over the illness that had me off work on MOnday and tuesday as the chest was super tight, and i actually had trouble sleeping as a result.

Didn't notice it at first, as the legs were just not there, and were filling up with lactate. I guess reduced breathing efficiency = less oxygen = less energy for the muscles and slower waste removal.

I'm also not 100% convinced that the setup doesn't have somethign to do with it, as i'm sure it's felt harder for the same power numbers the last 2/3 sessions since i took the bike off the turbo for the first time. Or maybe just me?

Never mind. I'll give it another go in a week or so i think.
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in an almost identical situation mate, had Tuesday off work. Went for a club run Wednesday that felt completely normal and fine at a decent pace. Then had a lunchtime swim yesterday (Thursday) that also felt fine.

However, went to do a turbo Thursday evening and felt like breathing was restricted and my legs just couldn't cope. Was struggling to do 300W during the "sprint" sections, which is my usual 20 minute power! That time of year again Rolling Eyes
Nobbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May as well add my tale of woe Smile TR had been going really well while I was ramping up the running after injury until I did a workout with bits where you start at low cadence pushing a big gear and push hard for 10 secs, knees were, fine and then did 12k run. Next day get pain in one of my buttocks which is diagnosed by physio as Piriformis Syndrome. Basically can't walk or sleep due to pain Sad This then seemed to upset the sciatic nerve, so add pain down left leg. On lots of drugs with a scan booked for start of April and no exercise for almost two weeks. Piriformis seems to have settled now, but sciatica still causing issues.

On the plus side, I think I've resolved the issue I was having with TR shutting down all the time. It seems to be caused by having too many ANT sensors. I've got a Tacx Vortex, Garmin speed and cadence sensor, HR belt and P2M Powermeter. With all these connected it would crash every time. It took me a while to spot this as often I wouldn't have all the sensors. If I disconnect the Tacx Vortex 'Powermeter' (using P2M for power match) then it all works fine Cool

I was due a retest last week, but reckon it will be at least another week before I get on the bike.

Good work tri_longer, nice to see someone improving amongst all the collateral damage.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTP test last night and a pleasing 10 watt increase to 240watts. I am almost at the end of the sustained power build plan and will move onto the 40km tt plan. Not sure yet whether to do low or mid volume. Will probably mix and match between the two and pick the sessions I like the look of.
PCP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I am back on TR after pretending I was going to bike for months then just running a bit and being generally lazy.

I have 13 weeks to a 70.3 so last week jumped on the Half Distance Build (Mid Volume) at week 2. The first few rides I dropped my 245w FTP down by 7% because I was dying early in the intervals but I got a 50 mile hilly ride in on Sunday and felt great so left my FTP at 245w tonight and did 'Cumberland' (12min build to 60min sweetspot) then 3min spin.

I had to vary my cadence a bity to keep my legs going but managed to complete it on target without getting into a hole so very pleased.

3 of these a week with 50-70 miles on a Sunday should get me in decent shape. I just need to get back up to and over my 265w FTP from last summer.
tri_longer

Location: Bobbing along on the bottom of the beautiful briney

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stick with it because the plans really do work.

I've just re-tested last night after 7 weeks of mix and matching low/mid volume middle distance build plan (I miscalculated so had to miss a week out)

FTP now up to 287 from 275. The 12 weeks of base got me from 260 to 275

I really wasn't in the mood for doing the test at all to be honest so to come away with that result is so pleasing.

http://chrisgoesracing.blogspot.co.uk/
PCP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tri_longer wrote:

I've just re-tested last night after 7 weeks of mix and matching low/mid volume middle distance build plan (I miscalculated so had to miss a week out)

I really wasn't in the mood for doing the test at all to be honest so to come away with that result is so pleasing.

Was that at the end of your build now? I'd give my right arm to get to 280+ given my losses over the winter. You will be 300+ by race day then.

I'm definitely going to stick at it now, there is no way I'm cramping up on my runs this year. I do enjoy the way even the long sets are broken up into little chunks so you don't get bored.
tri_longer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
tri_longer wrote:

Was that at the end of your build now? I'd give my right arm to get to 280+ given my losses over the winter. You will be 300+ by race day then.

I'm definitely going to stick at it now, there is no way I'm cramping up on my runs this year. I do enjoy the way even the long sets are broken up into little chunks so you don't get bored.

Yes, finished the build block last week, so started the specialty block this week and re-tested as part of that. I was pretty surprised it had gone up as much that.
I think the main thing is not the outright number but the progression that it shows. I've done a bit if mix and match with low and medium volume when time has allowed for more to be slotted in and I'll be doing the same with the final block leading into Cotswold 113. I decided as an experiment that other than racing I would do all my bike training indoors on the turbo (i'm one of those people who doesn't mind the turbo). I'd say so far so good.

PCP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no weekend long rides?
I spoke to TR this week about the low and mid programs having very short weekend sessions whereas the high has 3-4hr sessions. They said it is just for time-crunched ppl and it will still get you through in good shape.

I'll still do 3-4hrs on the road at weekend.

I agree it's not about the actual number but I was at 265 last year and 280+ was the target but ice slothed around too much to get there anytime soon.

Just gave to try to make it up by getting the weight off!
tri_longer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, no weekend rides. Bit of an experiment I admit and even with 3-4 rides i'm still putting in 12-14 hour weeks
3 runs, 3 swims and 3-4 rides is the norm. Taking a punt that the higher intensity nature of the mid volume will offset the more endurance based rides.
I guess we will find out in 8 weeks.
My next A race in September I plan to do some rides on the road as its a hilly course so I want to get some specific rides in.

PCP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tri_longer wrote:
Correct, no weekend rides. Bit of an experiment I admit and even with 3-4 rides i'm still putting in 12-14 hour weeks
3 runs, 3 swims and 3-4 rides is the norm. Taking a punt that the higher intensity nature of the mid volume will offset the more endurance based rides.
I guess we will find out in 8 weeks.
My next A race in September I plan to do some rides on the road as its a hilly course so I want to get some specific rides in.

TR say it works so it must do. Good luck and keep us updated. I test again in 8 weeks.
Nobbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tale of woe continues, but leg pain has now gone and sort of did bits of the High Volume II four week plan. Started at about 260FTP, and will retest on Tuesday, but not expecting much as probably only done half the sessions. Got recalled for a second MRI and immediate referral to neurosurgery next Tuesday because of disc rupture and bulging into nerves Sad Strange really because the back actually feels ok now Confused Hopefully I'll get to see some pictures and avoid any operations for now.
PCP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobbie wrote:
My tale of woe continues, but leg pain has now gone and sort of did bits of the High Volume II four week plan. Started at about 260FTP, and will retest on Tuesday, but not expecting much as probably only done half the sessions. Got recalled for a second MRI and immediate referral to neurosurgery next Tuesday because of disc rupture and bulging into nerves Sad Strange really because the back actually feels ok now Confused Hopefully I'll get to see some pictures and avoid any operations for now.

Sorry to hear it's not cleared up Nobby. Fingers crossed for faster progress after your scan.
Nobbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Nobbie wrote:

Sorry to hear it's not cleared up Nobby. Fingers crossed for faster progress after your scan.

Cheers PCP,

I'm hoping the damage they've picked up is actually unrelated to my leg issue as this appears to have settled now. If nothing else, it should give me a good incentive to keep my core strong and treat my back with a bit more respect. I'm not invincible Sad Laughing

Quite tempted to enter a TT in a months time on the J5/8 as it's a fast course and it give's me a bit of a target for the next block.
hunkydory

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on it. First session on the Turbo after IM Lanza is in the bag. Today it my poison was "the hunted" by Sufferfest. And yes, it was a sufferfest. 2 months of off-season has definitely left a major dent in my fitness and ability to suffer. Not fun. Anyway, got another 6 weeks before my next race (an Oly with a relatively flat bike course) so I know what I need to do...
IWBMATTKYT

Strangely, as I write this, about 2 hours after finishing the session, I feel absolutely blinking marvellous! It's like life is again flowing through my veins! I had almost forgotten how this feels like... totally hooked on training again. Laughing

www.mikajanhunen.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 60 of 62

Jump to: