Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
TrainerRoad.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7.5 weeks after slicing my toe down to the bone at Slateman and it getting infected it has started to heal over properly so I got back on the bike today.

4x7min @ 105% FTP. The 4th was just manageable but I'd knocked the FTP setting down to 95%, thus making it 4x7min @ FTP.
I thought I would have lost more than 5% in this time off so I'm pretty happy.

IMWales is the target and I still can't run on my foot so I'm going to get as many rides in as I can in the next 11 days then hit the Full Distance Triathlon Specialty High Volume plan and pray that sees me round!

Hopefully I can run a bit in 4+ weeks.

I'm supposed to be doing Cleveland Steelman next Saturday but I may just swim and TT the bike then quit - if my toe can survive the swim.

Agreed with hunkydory - I'm absolutely buzzing to be back on it. Very Happy
Monster Mojo Middle
50TT
UK Ultimate 1/2
100TT
IMUK
PCP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 1 free month on TrainerRoad if anyone wants it for some more focused end of season/winter training?
Monster Mojo Middle
50TT
UK Ultimate 1/2
100TT
IMUK
Tri Curious

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PCP I have PM'd you.

Cheers
PCP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri Curious wrote:
Hi PCP I have PM'd you.

Cheers

Replied.
Monster Mojo Middle
50TT
UK Ultimate 1/2
100TT
IMUK
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have people faired on the new Ironman plan this year?

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on annual membership and do the full distance base, build, speciality to get me to IMUK.

My main concern is that I won't want to do indoor training once spring arrives, and that the plans will be inflexible to my work schedules.
Iron '16 14:30:49
Half Iron '16 5:53:44
Olympic '16 3:18:18 '15 3:33:05, '13 3:36:00
Sprint '16 1:17:03, '14 1:40:13, '13 2:01:07
Half Mara '16 2:04:32, '14 2:07:11
10 Mile TT '16 26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on annual membership and do the full distance base, build, speciality to get me to IMUK.

My main concern is that I won't want to do indoor training once spring arrives, and that the plans will be inflexible to my work schedules.

That's what I'm going to use as of next week. Will try to ensure the Long weekend rides happen outdoors though.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

That's what I'm going to use as of next week. Will try to ensure the Long weekend rides happen outdoors though.

Nearly through week 3 on the full distance Tri plan, mid volume, so this is a big week next week is recovery.

First impressions:
Run seems to be too easy. I settled on sticking with the plan and hoping consistent four runs will improve me, but it's nagging me that there is little indication of running faster particularly as it's RPE not pace based.

The bike is hard, I'm confident it'll do me better than the 100km commutes I did last year. Ive quickly got used to the faster cadence, 85-95 avg. It's exposed a lot of issues on my bikes too, so new bike needed Smile

Swim also seems too easy, I'm swapping in a club session for the Speed Intervals which is definitely not "easy-moderate" pace.

All that said, I'm now running and biking four times a week, without issue, I'm tired, and my legs tell me it's taking a toll. I'm also losing weight and not as ravenous as I was last year, and whilst tired I'm not keeling over or slurring my speech like last winter(!)

So all in all positive so far Smile
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Wheezy wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

Nearly through week 3 on the full distance Tri plan, mid volume, so this is a big week next week is recovery.

First impressions:
Run seems to be too easy. I settled on sticking with the plan and hoping consistent four runs will improve me, but it's nagging me that there is little indication of running faster particularly as it's RPE not pace based.

The bike is hard, I'm confident it'll do me better than the 100km commutes I did last year. Ive quickly got used to the faster cadence, 85-95 avg. It's exposed a lot of issues on my bikes too, so new bike needed Smile

Swim also seems too easy, I'm swapping in a club session for the Speed Intervals which is definitely not "easy-moderate" pace.

All that said, I'm now running and biking four times a week, without issue, I'm tired, and my legs tell me it's taking a toll. I'm also losing weight and not as ravenous as I was last year, and whilst tired I'm not keeling over or slurring my speech like last winter(!)

So all in all positive so far Smile

Liking your work Smile
One week behind you. Getting used to the 5.30am turbo sessions again is taking its toll, but better than trying to squeeze a session in late at night. Really want the weather to warm up a bit so I can get some longer outdoor miles in at thee weekend.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 1 week in to TR, full distance Tri plan, high volume. I am mainly focusing on cycling on TR, Swim sets are replaced with Tri Club swim sets, I am following the runs, however, my Tri Club also run once per week, so it is a combination

One piece I am not 100% happy about with TR is the way that it manages the resistance of my trainer automatically (as I have a smart trainer) and so far it seems to set the cadence too low - If I ride at my normal cadence, the power is well above the suggested power, if I try to maintain the suggested power, my cadence is lower than I like. I am not sure if this is deliberate and some of the workouts are at a lower cadence.

I may try to turn off the automatic adjustment of power and maintain the suggested power by changing gear.

I went for an outdoor ride yesterday, just 28 miles, however, according to my Garmin Edge 1000, the temp did not get above freezing, I was taking it really easy due to the risk of ice
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I am 1 week in to TR, full distance Tri plan, high volume. I am mainly focusing on cycling on TR, Swim sets are replaced with Tri Club swim sets, I am following the runs, however, my Tri Club also run once per week, so it is a combination

One piece I am not 100% happy about with TR is the way that it manages the resistance of my trainer automatically (as I have a smart trainer) and so far it seems to set the cadence too low - If I ride at my normal cadence, the power is well above the suggested power, if I try to maintain the suggested power, my cadence is lower than I like. I am not sure if this is deliberate and some of the workouts are at a lower cadence.

I may try to turn off the automatic adjustment of power and maintain the suggested power by changing gear.

I went for an outdoor ride yesterday, just 28 miles, however, according to my Garmin Edge 1000, the temp did not get above freezing, I was taking it really easy due to the risk of ice

That's not how erg mode is meant to work. If you up the cadence it should drop the resistance to keep you at your power target. It can take maybe a second, but that's the whole point of a smart trainer.

What power source are you using? A power meter or the power reading of the smart turbo? If the former, then you should have the power match function turned on on TR. If it's still not working, hit up TR support. They are excellent.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mattsurf/wheezy

I got out yesterday similarly worried about ice, and there was a fair bit about on Toys/Ide hill but avoided any trouble.

I rather expected it to be easy after all the hard labour on the turbo and maybe be able to properly spin up a hill for once, but Church Hill in Cudham (max 25%)cut me down to size immediately, back to grinding and inching my way up. Ah well.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
@mattsurf/wheezy

I got out yesterday similarly worried about ice, and there was a fair bit about on Toys/Ide hill but avoided any trouble.

I rather expected it to be easy after all the hard labour on the turbo and maybe be able to properly spin up a hill for once, but Church Hill in Cudham (max 25%)cut me down to size immediately, back to grinding and inching my way up. Ah well.

Early days. Smile I seem to remember my legs felt pretty battered most of the time. and it's important to take it easy on the rest days so you can complete the sweetspot and VO2 sessions well.
iestyn999

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

I'm starting the Full distance mid volume plan next week. It'd be interesting to compare our improvements over the plans.

My FTP at the beginning of the year was 243W and I've been doing the bike ligh volume base until now, and I'll do another test on Tuesday.

I use the TR application with a Bkool trainer. I can change my cadence and the trainer maintains the power. Are you waiting long enough for the power to stabilise? Normally takes about 3-5 seconds with the Bkool.
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
@mattsurf/wheezy

Turboing and outdoor riding are not quite the same, it normally takes me a couple of rides to get back into the swing of things, but rest assured you are a lot fitter and a lot faster than If you had spent your time watching breaking bad boxsets...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61
Page 61 of 61

Jump to: