Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Adding A TSS Score For A Swim Training Session?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
midsfella

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Adding A TSS Score For A Swim Training Session? Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Is this possible to do? and if so how? I have a swimovate watch so i can genuinely count my laps, my efficiency etc etc, with an overal workout total.

I have been manually inputting this data into my daily activity but i was wondering how and if so people turn that into a score? When i view my training load picture, it almost looks like i have skipped a session. Of course i realise that it is a guess but i would rather have some data than nothing at all.

Advise Please?

Cheers
benjipeg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this annoys me too, have thought about using a polar HR to swiw with as i read that they transmit through water then entering the average HR in the activity,
but as i dont own a polar HR i dont wanna buy one until i know it would work - also im sure the belt would slip down on push off and i`m not gonna wear a tri suit to swim in.
anyone tried this?
midsfella

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried using my Hr watch, which transmits until you push off the side, the belt slides down no matter how tight you have it.
Rooney

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just add session then ave heart rate manuallty, (go with a rough guess on effort) it then gives a trimp score
midsfella

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i have done all that, but for instance my last swim, i swam a total of 2.3k, i listed my avg Hr as 150bpm and the system has calculated my trimp as 83.......

BUT..... It hasn't calculated a TSS score and so my CTL has dropped, this indicates to me that i have lost fitness not gained or at the very least sustained fitness? Mad
SteveI

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't mentioned which application or website you're using?
midsfella

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, sporttracks using the training load plugin.
SteveI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midsfella wrote:
Hi Steve, sporttracks using the training load plugin.

Okay, I don't know the specifics of how it handles TSS vs TRIMP, but if you had a TSS to enter manually would that work? There is an explanation here of how to calculate swimming TSS:
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/triathlon/calculating-swimming-tss-score.aspx

It's a bit simplified, but I made a spreadsheet based on it a while back and used it to work out the TSS for all my sessions, putting the resulting TSS into WKO+ to track it.

If you had a swimsense, instead, you could get the Training Peaks website to work out TSS for you. You could try asking on the TP support forum if they have any plans to support the swimovate. From looking at the TP site it looks like they are actually putting the onus on the other party to implement TP support via an API that TP provide, so you could also ask swimovate to implement that (see the bit at the bottom of this page: http://support.trainingpeaks.com/compatible-devices.aspx )
midsfella

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve,
Thanks for that info, i think the Training Peaks software is ahead of sportracks in terms of developement and support but obviously thats comes at a price.
Sporttracks is fine for what i use it for, just sometimes it lacks in terms of support, I know alot of users on this forum use it and so was asking for advise from them, i have posted on the ST plugin forum without a reply.
Rooney

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midsfella wrote:
Yeah i have done all that, but for instance my last swim, i swam a total of 2.3k, i listed my avg Hr as 150bpm and the system has calculated my trimp as 83.......

BUT..... It hasn't calculated a TSS score and so my CTL has dropped, this indicates to me that i have lost fitness not gained or at the very least sustained fitness? Mad

I use both TSS and trimp but only tss score when upload srm data the rest is as trimp score. You ctl works with both.

I have has an hours cycle lower my ctl as my heart rate wasn't high.

Look at zones set mine were muddled at start. Then re calculate whole log.
midsfella

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my zones have been tweaked including the factors, i know that swimming is my weakest discipline and therefore creates alot more stress on my body over say cycling which is my strongest.

I create a new activity in sporttracks as swimming, i add all the data from my poolmate watch and i also add my average hr say (150) for the session, the data then creates a trimp sore of say (8Cool which is ok, im happy with that.

But when i open the training load plugin, the graph is empty but the data is in the lower activity info? why doesnt it create a TSS in the graph? the graph looks like i havnt trained and in fact shows a reduction in CTL? Surely that can't be right......
Rooney

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change graph at top right corner to show trimp graph rather than TSS?
midsfella

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is set as Trimp but the Brown block (tss score) within the trimp graph isn't produced?
Rooney

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the scale of axis? I'm moved accidentally before....
Rooney

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you get it sorted I know I was frustrated with graphs not working and my TSS and trimp scores for the same session being way out. It took a bit of question asking on ST forum. They do get back to you just not as fast as on here.

I only enter time, distance and ave heart rate then click on training load to see trimp score. Did try to manually enter heart rate data but that didn't produce a trimp score.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: