Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training help needed. AT, VO2, WTF

View previous topic :: View next topic  
55ant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Training help needed. AT, VO2, WTF Reply with quote

I won a maximal bike test at last years bike show, and went along in November,

All went well and got some numbers etc, but truth be told I have no idea how I can now use those figures to train better. Also they are three months old so will they still be relevant?

Test was seated on a bike, lasted about 15 minutes with the load increasing throughout,

Summary Results and Recommendations Measure Your result Comment

AT

Oxygen Uptake (ml/min/kg) 36.9
Heart Rate (beats/min) 150
Power (watts) 269

VO2MAX

Oxygen Uptake (ml/min/kg) 59.3
Heart Rate (beats/min) 181
Power (watts) 449

can send the report to anyone but they are the main figures, from what I can tell i need to do training aimed at moving my AT toward my VO2, but how should I do that?

Finaly other than gym bikes (technogym) I can't use power, just HR.

Thanksfor any help,
SteveI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

59.3 is a fairly mediocre trained VO2max, but 449W is a stonking power at VO2max. How much do you weigh, do you have much scope to lose weight?

With optimal training, you should be able to get your 1 hour power up to somewhere in the region of 85% of that 449W, so around 380W. If you can do that at 84kg, it would be very good, at 76kg it would be outstanding.
55ant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the gym scales in 80.5kg, currently loosing weight and think I could loose 2 more before april,

what sort of training should I be doing?? Im seeing a lot of chat about this fpt, which i think is the hour stuff you mention. I asked recently about 2x20 training, but without being able to measure power (except on gym bikes) I'm at a loss.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the 449watts your average for the last minute, or was it the final number?

If it was the 1 minute number then you'd be off the chart for efficiency if my numbers are right:

at 80 watts/liter which is high for cyclists, then with 450watts and 80.5kg your VO2max would be a much more expected 69. To get the VO2max down to 59 you'd need an unheard off 93 - were you on EPO?

I suspect you had too much anaerobic work left and that's why your final minute shows a very high power compared to the O2 requirements. Do you have a graph of your o2 use for the last minutes?
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh on training - you just need to do anything that works on "threshold", so consistent hard work for longer than 20 minutes as much as you can. And if the numbers are accurate, don't bother much about shorter intervals.
SteveI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55ant wrote:
On the gym scales in 80.5kg, currently loosing weight and think I could loose 2 more before april,

what sort of training should I be doing?? Im seeing a lot of chat about this fpt, which i think is the hour stuff you mention. I asked recently about 2x20 training, but without being able to measure power (except on gym bikes) I'm at a loss.

Hmm, I have a feeling that 449W might be your final 1 minute power from the ramp test rather than your power at VO2Max. Using the standard equation to convert between power and VO2Max using your weight, you'd need a VO2max more like 70 to have that power, though you might have well above average efficiency. It doesn't really matter, though, all you can do is try to reach your potential, and your VO2Max could improve with training, anyway, if you haven't already been doing focused VO2Max training.

So, yes, 1 hour power is FTP, Functional Threshold Power. It's a good thing to improve, even if your real aim is 2 hour or 4 hour power, because it sets the ceiling for the longer durations. The higher your 1 hour power, the higher you can get your 2 hour and 4 hour power as you bring them up closer to the ceiling.

If you're willing to spend the time reading it, then this old thread has some really great advice in it, and you can see the progress the person receiving the advice makes:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/314849/its-killing-me-but
He does almost all his training on gym bikes, as like you, it's the only place he has power data. He actually gets a bit ahead of himself after a while and it hurts his progress, he keeps trying to do more than he's capable of, and ends up doing nothing sessions, they're neither one thing nor the other, and I think there's a lesson for everyone in that. Either work on your threshold, or work on your VO2max with a proper VO2max session, but don't get stuck doing something in between the two.
55ant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve and Jim,

Looking at the results, I think the 449 was a final max output, also I was about 86kg in november,

I think most of my training, coming from a swim back ground, has been short intervals with plenty of rest, which in my thinking has resulted in the big gap. So really I just need to do threshold work, as theres pleanty of headroom before VO2 becomes the limiting factor?

Training for olys this year,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: