Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-17/18 min 5k thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 49, 50, 51  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
finbar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a big difference between 17 minutes and 18 minutes!

It seems like it for me anyway, as i'm perenially stuck around 17.30.

My PB is 17m28s set back in December, after a really solid couple of months training i ran... 17m31s Mad
jeffm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="finbar"]There's a big difference between 17 minutes and 18 minutes! [\quote]

About a minute difference!

But in all seriousness 18mins is easy in comparison to getting under 17. It's surprising how much a difference of 5 or 10seconds a kilometre change in pace can be.
2 scheds

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my 19:10 last summer I was averaging around 20-25km per week split over 3 sessions per week.

Made up of 2 x 6.5km intervals (4 mins on/4mins recvoery) and a longer threshold session of around 10km.

Through the winter I've added an additional 6.5km interval session to this which I have been doing as a double run, in the afternoon following my morning threshold session.

I have a 1/2 marathon in a few weeks at which I'm gunning for sub 1:30

Once that's out of the way I'm switch back to my 3 session pattern to keep the run ticking over while I up my swim and bike efforts.

5km in June, so I plan to hit the track at the start of may. The 1600m reps sound.... interesting... Twisted Evil
YKK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post ironman, pre sub 3 hour marathon training last year I ran three park runs, 19:15, 19:35 and 19:30.

I went for the slow/steady approach to marathon training, maxing out at 70 miles in a week. With very little speed work and nothing at all over 6 minute miles.

Two weeks after the marathon (where I acheived my goal) I ran 18:13, ( I expected to be quicker and was aiming for somwhere under 19 but not that much). That was on a reasonably hilly course so possibly under 18 on a flat course/track?

So it can work the slower approach as well, but you need to enjoy running and enjoy running along way. (Admitedly though I am not under sub 1Cool
ironchimp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YKK wrote:
Post ironman, pre sub 3 hour marathon training last year I ran three park runs, 19:15, 19:35 and 19:30.

I went for the slow/steady approach to marathon training, maxing out at 70 miles in a week. With very little speed work and nothing at all over 6 minute miles.

Two weeks after the marathon (where I acheived my goal) I ran 18:13, ( I expected to be quicker and was aiming for somwhere under 19 but not that much). That was on a reasonably hilly course so possibly under 18 on a flat course/track?

So it can work the slower approach as well, but you need to enjoy running and enjoy running along way. (Admitedly though I am not under sub 1Cool

Similar to me - I hit my 19's in my marathon build up (didn't get my sub 3 though!).

Wonder whats the best way to indicate sub 18 is on the way - key sessions/ targets - or is it best to keep hammering away at parkruns/5k runs?
dhcm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran one 5K last year (end of tri-season) in 18.31 off limited 5K/10K specific training (injuries...) If I ever get a good few months where I can sustain high intensity run training my target will be 17.30.
Crozza

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WM=SS wrote:
What sort of stuff will you be doing over the next couple of months to try and dip inside 17 mins?

losing weight will net my biggest gains

I have had a very patchy period of training, so just some consistency would be nice. In terms of specifics, I am a member of the local athletics club and we get an email from our coach every week with sessions for Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Our endurance group is coached by a potential Olympian (and sub 13:30 5k runner!) and our training tends to target whatever races are coming up, but generally 3k-10k, with some 1/2 mara stuff too.

The week looks very roughly like this:
Tues - track/hills. shorter, fast reps
Thurs - steady run, maybe some tempo
Sat - longer reps, maybe hills or XC, maybe some tempo too

By way of illustration this week's session are:
Tues:10x70s @5k pace, 45 secs recovery.
4 mins recovery - jog slow lap
6x70s @3k pace, 45 secs recovery
4 mins recovery jog slow lap
4x70s @1500m pace, 45 secs recovery
(this was my first track session in nearly 6 months, and an absolute beast with the pace and short recoveries)

Thurs: 10 miles steady, 6x100m strides at finish

Sat: 5x4 min hill reps, jog down recovery

I tend to join the group for Tuesday's session
Thursday is a bike day for me where I am often doing reps of between 6-20 mins, and seems to replace the running session quite well
Sat I will do the set session on my own, or something else like 6x1 mile, 10x1k

In a perfect week I would do (running wise)
Mon - 45-60 mins easy (6-9 miles, 6:30-7:30 pace)
Tues - track/hills
Weds - 45-60 mins easy
Sat - reps
Sun - in summer maybe 30 mins running off long bike

well you did ask!
Tigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a 5km only you're trying to improve on, without the biking, then speedy sessions are sometimes good. I personally don't see a point to anything that is just so much than race pace that it's a sheer speed workout.
As a multisporter... and running my best ever running times, I only ever ran one session a week. All my other running was steady, no tempo, no hills. Intensity is hard to recover from, and proper speed workouts at a 1500m pace needs to be built up to over time.

What Crozza has done there as a first session in 6 months is just pure bonkers? Well it's certainly not something I'd do or advise either. The only time I run a session like that, is trying to peak for an event where those 5-10secs count.

I spent the best part of 15 years racing 5-10km events, from pure running to duathlon even the odd triathlon, and during those years I'd be on the track weekly. Sessions varying, but there is one thing I learned early on. If I went and did a session at or faster than my 1500m time, my 5km time did not improve. My biggest gains were made by longer efforts, some with short rest, some with a running recovery and very seldom faster than 5km race pace.

I've set many a sessions for many people in my time and biggest success and improvement I see is in pyramid work and when it's longer reps off short recover at between 5 and 10km pace. When you can run a sessions that are built up to 10km of hard running at slightly faster than your 10km race pace with recovery runs of less than 25% of hard running time, then you know it's time for a couple of weeks of 400's off a short rest at 5km pace or a little quicker, and bam... you'll have yourself a 5km PB!
Crozza

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigga wrote:
What Crozza has done there as a first session in 6 months is just pure bonkers? Well it's certainly not something I'd do or advise either. The only time I run a session like that, is trying to peak for an event where those 5-10secs count.

might be worth a little context. Whilst it was my first time on the track in 6 months, I have still been doing hills and some 5k pace stuff off the track, so was not completely cold. plus I have been doing track work consistently for 5 years

The sessions are set for pure runners (although a lot of triathletes go along too). Outside of that session they will be doing lots of steady/easy runs too

we very rarely do 1500m/3k pace work. we will now start to do a lot of 5k pace work (7x800m, 16x400m stuff like that). so over-distance at 5k pace, off varying recoveries.

Tuesday's session I think was minded towards the fact that a few people are targeting the inter-counties XC in a couple of weeks and wanted to get their speed up after a winter of hills and steady runs
AJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, just been out for a few hours and came back to plenty of interesting stuff- It is interesting to hear from other people who are in a situation to me...It is true that 17 mins seems to be an entirely different class to 18 mins, the leap between the two seems to be really tough for a lot of people to achieve! Another question: How do people's 'pure' 5k/10k run times compare to their run splits off the bike?
Grifter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just the ticket for me. My 5k PB is 17:33 but would love to get under 17. Be keen to hear what sort of distances/speeds sub-17 people are doing in training. Currently marathon training so not sure I'm geared to it at present but it is definitely on my 'to do' list for this season.
lonestar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subscribed
K.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran Falkirk park run at the weekend which is a pretty tough course in 19.08 - this is after about 6 weeks of steady run training with no real speed work. I reckon if I do some speed work and hard hill reps I could get this down to 18.30.

That said if I did a flat 5k I could definitely go sub 18 without too much more work than I'm doing at present. The point is though that the course you choose co UHF have a significant impact on your times.
tri_bore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would also agree that going from 18 to 17 is quite a decent improvement, unless you are barely running and doing zero speed work

nominally i am in, tho when i ever get a chance run a 5km RACE i dont know. maybe a 10km and take a split....

did a 5km as part of a sprint tri last month. 18.4x IIRC. hilly 3 lap x country loop. would hope to go sub 17.30 standalone, but wouldnt like to bet my last quid on it
stu l-p

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub 18 is my "head" run goal for this year, although my "heart" target is sub 17.30 Smile . Did 18.29 last year on a road TT course I use.

This winter I've done 1 one hour run per week in December, added a 30min XC timed course in January and then a hard 30min short hills session in February. I'll start the Furman First 12 week 5k programme in March.

I managed 19:15 a couple of weeks ago, which is 45 secs quicker than this time last year Very Happy

Good luck everyone Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 2 of 51

Jump to: