Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-17/18 min 5k thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

HAVE to go under 3 at the 10km in July now, surely! Rolling Eyes Wink

That's some 10k.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:

HAVE to go under 3 at the 10km in July now, surely! Rolling Eyes Wink

That's some 10k.

Haha - 35! Although 34 would be nice Wink
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should smash 35 mate! I've just signed up for the Kent 10k Championships in June, so finally have a bit of an aim for my running rather than drifting around aimlessly like I have been recently.
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
Nice stuff TriSam - that's not a bad 10K off the bike at all! How easy was the win?

I really enjoyed the sprint, came 15th in a decent-ish field for a 1:08 something (400m Swim, 24k bike leg) so I think that represents a sprint PB for me. Certainly felt my best race over the 3 disciplines.

Averaged 3:37s for the 4.8K run which equates to just over 18mins, so losing roughly 1 minute on my standalone road 5K PB. Not sure how that compares to others? Looking at the top of the field they appear to be able to run not far outside their standalone PBs which is impressive.

Sounds about right in terms of sprint distance racing for me to be honest, normally between 30-60 seconds for me.

And I'd like to say the race was a hotly contested battle, but I was first by 8 minutes haha! Rolling Eyes
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9:50 in a 3K on the track last night. I was hoping to go out at 9:45 pace but that felt a bit too quick, but in the end finished quite strong so possibly more in the tank than I realized (first time I'd run a 3K). Daniels Vdot for my recent 5K has 9:45 as the 3K equivalent so am making that another target for this summer.

Have to say that joining a club is great - get the option to do so many races (which for a 35 yearly fee is not bad value at all), plus getting cheered around the track is a nice bonus.

Anyone racing this weekend?
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great effort there PP. I've done a few 3km track races now and love them, think the distance suits me, but am definitely still learning and have plenty left to give.

I couldn't agree more about joining a club. I joined mine about 2.5 years ago now and it has seriously pushed me forward in ways that i never would have achieved on my lonesome. We have a really good team now as well for such a small club, so there's plenty of inter as well as intra club rivalry spurring us on.

I also benefit from having a group of friends that are into their off road ultras, as it keeps the training varied. The probelm is i'm trying to get quick on the road, want to get involved in crazy ultras and also don't want to forget about tri. I just have to accept that something has to give if i want to play at all three, but im happy with that.

We have a cool 4 x 4km relay event next Friday which will be my next race, and am really looking forward to that. Should be hotly contested between two of our teams and one from the big smoke (Exeter!).

Oh and the first 1 mile TT of the year on our rustic (read rutted & potholed) cinder track tonight which is always fun.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also just found your Strava - and we have remarkably similar PBs across quite a few distances!
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Also just found your Strava - and we have remarkably similar PBs across quite a few distances!

Yeah I recall you put yours up in another thread (sub 3-hr?) and they were pretty similar but yeah we appear to have near identical curves/lines up to HM! Hopefully we can spur each other on ... certainly threads like this are a really good motivational tool also.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good race for me on Friday in a 4 x 4km relay event in the pouring rain.

After totally messing up my last relay (last year) by going out WAY too fast, i was determined to not make that mistake again. Echoed by all of team mates, plus some of my friends/competitors from other teams!! It seems nobody was about to let me forget it!!

Weather was owful, with a stiff headwind on one section and lots of rain, but the atmosphere was still good.

I was (for some reason) put on the anchor leg. I started off in 2nd place, about 30secs behind a team of marines, but i knew that their captian was the slowest of the lot and slower than me. But wasn't sure if 30 secs would be too much to catch. I then had a much quicker runner than me about the same distance behind. He was the one i was more worried about, being a sub-16 5km runner.

Set out nice and steady (maybe even too steady) and just let the first half drift by. I knew the runner behind was catching, as there are quite a few double backs, bridges etc to navigate, but i also knew i was slowly catching the runner in front. with about 1.6km to go the runner behind me made his move just as i was about to overtake the one in front.

I put in a little effort to make sure the marine knew he couldn't catch me - but that's what the lad in front did to me as well! I tried to hang on to him, but he was too quick, so i just concentrated on keeping 2nd place and running a good leg. The fastest of our team which i was surprised at!

Finshed with a 3:18 average which is 4 secs quicker than the 5km two weeks before in worse weather conditions, running solo and with a steady start.

I think i could keep that average pace over 5km if i started a tiny bit harder and didn't ease in the middle. Would also be much easier if i could find another couple of runners to group up with. But we'll see.

Either way, was a good confidence booster and i'm hopeful that the PB will keep coming down this summer. I've set myself a tough target, but i'm feeling good about it.

Smile
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff GB, nothing like a bit of relay/race competition to provide that extra bit of incentive!

Seems like you're now into a good period of consistent training/racing. With the training benefit of these recent races bedded in you should be in good shape to kick on. Hopeful of a 16:30?

I've had a very tight left calf that I can't shake, even with some massage and foam rolling so dialled back the running even more at the moment! Then did something to my right foot whilst on the beers last weekend which is a bit niggly also. Neither one really enough to stop running altogether but just want to be careful.

Eyeing up the Guildford sprint tri on Sunday, and first 10 mile TT tomorrow night too which I'm really looking forward to. Next track league is June 1st and toying with the idea of doing 800 and 1500 there (or at least one of them) rather than the 3K just for a change.
Proud Red

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to take a good step towards sub 18 last night - with a 18.10 (few seconds of a pb) to finish in our local 10km last night (3.42,3.42,3.42,3.36 & 3.28 ). The last km was fkn horrendous, but it's 100% confirmed sub 18 is on - just need to find a fast 5k now!

https://www.strava.com/activities/601867271/pace-analysis

Last edited by Proud Red on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn straight it's on Callum! Great running dude, and a huge confidence builder i'm sure. All those miles are getting ready to be converted into free speed!!

On the flip side it was a proper crap night for me last night. Went ot he latest 5km with designs on a significant PB. Was over 20 degrees still at 7.30 and the wind was much stronger than i'd hoped.

Planned to set off with a 3:15 to start, then settle into a few 3:18-3:20's then see what the last km held ... but it wasn't to be!

First km was on target, but it felt hard. No first km should ever feel hard! Then into the wind i just felt like i was fighting the clock, watching my lap pace (per km) dribble downwards. tried to make a move on the mini group i was with to push the pace back up but i think i knew before half way that the game was up. Tried fighting it up to km 3 but i was rapidly slowing down. The 4th km into the wind was horrendous and i let the guy in front of me go, and slowly got caught by the 2 behind me.

Totally lost it physically and mentlaly by this point and pretty much just trotted home. Super lame as i've never given up in a race before, but i just didn't have the strength to fight my way to the end for a time 20 odd seconds over my PB.

Can't put my finger on why it happened, as i felt in really good form coming in to the race. Been smashing the track and interval work with the club. Will just have to scratch it off as 'one of those days' and move on. But me being me, i can't help but feel a massive sense of deflation and a drop in confidence.

Just need to MTFU and get on with it! haha
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great run Callum, monster surge for the line towards the end too! How much did you knock off your PB?

It's frustrating to have an empty day in training, let alone in a race, so I'm not surprised you're feeling a bit crap after that. But it happens to everyone at one stage or another, just be glad it wasn't in your marathon! You're in good form so I'm sure the times will come tumbling down soon
Proud Red

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers folks, mega pleased with how it went. Previous PB was 37.08 so a baw hair off 30 secs of a pb - set in May last year - with 3 failed attempts since then to get under 37.

Our 3rd club standard is 37 dead, and a main goal of mine since I started running was to get myself in sub 37 shape - so 36.59 was the only target in mind.

Most pleased about my pacing. My target was to go at even 3.42's and then ramp it up with 1-2km to go depending on how I felt - I knew if I was on 37 pace I could MTFU in the final km to get comfortably under it. Bar the first km at 3.39 due a rapid first 3-400m trying to keep myself out of the trouble of a busy start line - k's 2-8 were all between 3.40-3.43. Helped being in a small group of 4/5 for the first half, then a couple dropped off leaving myself and one other until the final turn just after 8k where we slowly picked off a few ahead of us. Managed a wee speed up here to drop him, then at 9k ish I just went for it - pretty much an eyes closed job in the final 500m to try block out the pain Very Happy

Shame GB - you've been fkn rapid on what appears to be low mileage the past couple of months. Dust yerself down, get entered into another race asap and put it right.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers PR - and agreed.

Your pacing was what impressed me the most as well - when i saw your strava it looked frickin metronomic!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 35 of 39

Jump to: