Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-17/18 min 5k thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parkrun on Saturday, first of a 5K trilogy this week! 17:02, which is a 1s PB on the course and I was pretty happy. Mainly because the calves didn't flare up and hopefully now overcoming recent niggles. Was 8:30 on the first lap and 8:32 on the second and felt strong going up the gradual incline early in the lap - although the legs ran out of power at the end on the twisty off-road bits. This course always come out a tad short on Garmin though so always feel it's a bit of a cheat time but I'll blame all the overhanging tress Smile

Got a pan-flat, road 5K this evening then a track 5K on Saturday, so aiming to hit 3:20s and see what happens at these.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16:29 in the 5K last night \o/ \o/

Proper chuffed (and surprised) with the run, started at 3:20 and it felt relatively comfortable. The race had a pretty deep field so was probably 25th after the first k but then was reeling in people who'd gone off too quick the whole way which really helped, always nice when everyone else is breathing harder than you are! Ended up around 10th I think and was dead at the end (lost 2 places back in the last 100m as I'd started my finishing push too early and had an 'oh #@?#' moment when I saw how for I still had to go)
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive stuff Philleus!! That's blistering pace! 16:15 next then!!

I'll be interested to see if your body can recover quick enough to give the track 5km a real go ...

Do you have a strava link for that run?
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Impressive stuff Philleus!! That's blistering pace! 16:15 next then!!

I'll be interested to see if your body can recover quick enough to give the track 5km a real go ...

Do you have a strava link for that run?

Ta! Here you go:
https://www.strava.com/activities/608713009/overview

Yeah, will be interesting to see how much is left for Saturday. Certainly two hard 5ks in 3 days actually worked out OK. Just need to figure out how much biking to do this week.

When's your next race? Hope you can but the previous run to bed soon.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got another relay event on the 1st July - about 4km race but it's quite hilly. Got some revenge for last year on this course to take though!

For such a small club our captain is having a nightmare putting the teams together as we have 8-10 people that could all make the 'A' team. Nice probelm to have though.

Can't make July's 5km in the usual location, so i'll just build into my 10k in the middle of July. That's a hard one for me as i just don't know what pace to go out at. Too fast and it's game over for another year (as i doubt i'll do another one this summer), too slow and i'll potentially miss out on time for what will hopefully be a PB. That and i HATE 10ks! For me they're the hardest distance.

Off onto Dartmoor for my first ever run up there in the daylight tomorrow which i'm looking forward to! Always seemed to miss out on the group runs up there with my friends. Hoping to do a 50km crossing of the moor in Sept as well, helping a friend out as an unofficial marshall for his event. He's also doing a Welsh 3000's 2 day event this year and a <24hr one next year - both look very interesting indeed!

Last edited by gingerbongo on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also ... what's with all the fruit references on other people's Strava that did this race???
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Also ... what's with all the fruit references on other people's Strava that did this race???

Seems that the prizes for first 7 males and females were pineapples!
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
I've got another relay event on the 1st July - about 4km race but it's quite hilly. Got some revenge for last year on this course to take though!

For such a small club our captain is having a nightmare putting the teams together as we have 8-10 people that could all make the 'A' team. Nice probelm to have though.

Can't make July's 5km in the usual location, so i'll just build into my 10k in the middle of July. That's a hard one for me as i just don't know what pace to go out at. Too fast and it's game over for another year (as i doubt i'll do another one this summer), too slow and i'll potentially miss out on time for what will hopefully be a PB. That and i HATE 10ks! For me they're the hardest distance.

Off onto Dartmoor for my first ever run in the daylight tomorrow which i'm looking forward to! Always seemed to miss out on the group runs up there with my friends. Hoping to do a 50km crossing of the moor in Sept as well, helping a friend out as an unofficial marshall for his event. He's also doing a Welsh 3000's 2 day event this year and a <24hr one next year - both look very interesting indeed!

Haha - you really are hoping to operate at both ends of the spectrum!

Know what you mean about 10k races. My guage runs for a 10k are either a 5k tempo about a week out (should be done with no taper at all) on my own or 5x2km with 90s rests about 2-3 weeks out. For example when I did 35:07 (windy and solo in that race) in the autumn I was able to just about do both at 3:30 per km and the sessions felt hard.

Given you've now gone under 17 surely you should be aiming for a 17:30 first 5K or a bit quicker? Depends how you like to run too I suppose - I know a few masochists that like to get ahead of things, beat the opposition and try to hold on but that's a painful way to run Smile
Proud Red

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, great running PP with great pacing.

Our club session last night was 6 * 1k off 2min recovery (on a gentle slope, with a dead turn at half way so not ideal for pacing) so aimed for "hopeful" 5k pace at 3.35k's. Managed to get them all between 3.25-3.28 (granted I was pushing somewhat) so a good sign that the speed is getting there.

Just need to find a decent race now or a Saturday morning parkrun where its nay 20 mph winds like most weeks here!
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proud Red wrote:
Aye, great running PP with great pacing.

Our club session last night was 6 * 1k off 2min recovery (on a gentle slope, with a dead turn at half way so not ideal for pacing) so aimed for "hopeful" 5k pace at 3.35k's. Managed to get them all between 3.25-3.28 (granted I was pushing somewhat) so a good sign that the speed is getting there.

Just need to find a decent race now or a Saturday morning parkrun where its nay 20 mph winds like most weeks here!

Good session that (although if I'm being picky there's probably a bit too much rest in between Smile ) as a confidence booster. I think I saw you' dinged your leg over the weekend - anything serious?
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a 16:31 on the track on Saturday in the Southern League match.

Conditions were OK, bit of a head wind in the home straight though. I'd been for-warned there was a guy looking to run 16:20 so I decided to try and follow him and see what happened. He started a bit slower than me so I was leading our group of 3 for the first 800m or so but this guy then took up the pace (first 2 guys in the race were both easily sub-16 so went off on their own). So I was nicely tucked in up to 3k behind this guy and one other, hitting out consistent 3:17-18s and I was feeling just about comfortable. He then wound it up ever so slightly between 3-4k and I suddenly hit a limit, breathing got tight and I just couldn't hold on so drifted off the back to finish about 5s behind him, and 8-9s behind the other guy who'd had an armchair ride and then burned off on the last lap - fair play!

Enjoyable race though, and hoping the training effect of this racing spell might mean a 16:20 is possible in 4-5 weeks.

Did a 110 hurdles about 10 minutes after the 5K as we had no B-runner and it was close for first in the match at the time so I decided to take one for the team. Enjoyed the novelty of a new event but have been stiff for 3 days since Rolling Eyes
Proud Red

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:

Good session that (although if I'm being picky there's probably a bit too much rest in between Smile ) as a confidence booster. I think I saw you' dinged your leg over the weekend - anything serious?

First couple of reps I agree, 2 mins felt too long. Last one I would have been happy with 20 mins Very Happy

Honestly not sure. Was 100% convinced it was a tear on Friday night, could poke around and identify the pain no problem. Same on Saturdays easy parkrun. Spent the guts of 10 hours on Saturday heating and icing off and on. Couple of ultra tentative jogs suggest nothing is wrong since then, but then sitting at my desk just now I'm feeling it.

Got a handicap race tonight and a trail marathon on Sunday - so I'll soon find out for sure I guess!
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, i found out last week that 'proper' speedwork absolutely ruins you! It's taken me close to a week to run without my hamstrings feeling like they were going to snap in two from the tension!

Did a 5x300m, 5x200m, 5x100m session that was just savage on the body. We had a really good group of guys so lots of compeittion on each sprint keeping the quality really high. Don't think i fancy a session like that again for a while though!

Think i may give PP's idea a go next week and do a solo 5km tt to determine what sort of 10km shape i'm in for that race.

Booked in with the physio this week to try to reset my legs again after completely falling off the S&C wagon. Hopefully that'll be the catalyst to start again - after all it's for injury PREVENTION!! haha. Still ... so, so boring!
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooof, that is a quick session. I agree with you, I've had similar experiences on track nights where some proper fast intervals are called for and it's torpedoed the next week's training somewhat.

Unfortunately, if you don't do these all the time and instead do them as one-offs, they do basically mean you can't do any other quality sessions for a while so are essentially detrimental unless you're actually trying to do middl-distance racing on the track.

However it is quite fun to do different sessions like this, particularly if they're competitive so sometimes you just need to say "F&*k it!!" and have some fun Very Happy (and hope you don't twang a calf or achilles!)
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Did a 5x300m, 5x200m, 5x100m session that was just savage on the body. We had a really good group of guys so lots of compeittion on each sprint keeping the quality really high. Don't think i fancy a session like that again for a while though!

Sounds like they were run too fast to me, assuming the rest interval was relatively low, then the intention is they're aerobic training, but you've screwed your legs on them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 36 of 39

Jump to: