Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-17/18 min 5k thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:
Did a 5x300m, 5x200m, 5x100m session that was just savage on the body. We had a really good group of guys so lots of compeittion on each sprint keeping the quality really high. Don't think i fancy a session like that again for a while though!

Sounds like they were run too fast to me, assuming the rest interval was relatively low, then the intention is they're aerobic training, but you've screwed your legs on them?

to be perfectly honest i think the intention was to get a few of the trackophobes from the club to join in, as it's much easier to run a session like this with vastly different abilities than it is on longer reps. That and it's good to have a good old fashioned blow out of the cobwebs.

Rest intervals were equal jog recovery between reps and 3 mins between sets. In reality this was working out at around 2-3 mins between reps and probably a bit longer between sets.

The legs didn't feel like they were tiring during the session per se, more that they just got ridiculously tight after. I'm no expert and just do whatever track sessions the club are putting on as i like the social aspect and just hope that it's doing more good than me just plodding around on my own!
Proud Red

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a #@?# of a run from me yesterday.

Ankle has been proper fecked all week after going over it during a marathon hill race last weekend. However the swelling went down a load on Thurs/Fri, so with absolute minimal running done all week I popped a load of painkillers yesterday morning thinking I would take advantage of rested legs and a forecast of minimal wind and get myself down to parkrun.

Both 3km time (10.07) and 10km time (36.39) point towards a 17.30ish. However the only goal just now is for 17.59 so the plan was to do exactly that. Should have been easy, but lost it completely after the 2nd km and frankly was hating life and wanting to stop by 4km. Came in at 18.06. Just can't fathom how I can run at 3.22 min/k ish for 3k, and at 3.40's for 10km, but cant hold 3.35's for 5? Makes feck all sense!

https://www.strava.com/activities/627254461

Plan on having a very easy week to let the ankle recover fully, then either going again this weekend or trying to get some decent reps in next week and going the following weekend. Really want this sub 18 monkey off my back!
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those recent 3K/10K times? If so, particularly the 3K one suggests 18min should be a doddle.

In which case it's probably a case of a bad day at the office, perhaps caused by residual fatigue from the hilly marathon at the weekend? I know a lot of people that struggle with 5K race pace after long races. I wouldn't read too much into it.

If you spent a couple of weeks throwing in some intervals at 5K pace with short rests, you should be easy under 18 in ~ 4 weeks assuming you've no other long races. You're possibly just missing some consistent 5k specificity in your training?
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i'd agree with PP. You're body has to be carrying fatigue from the long races and high mileage and the gammy ankle isn't going to have helped. Painkillers will have masked the pain, but the joint won't have been as efficient or strong so could have been losing a lot of power running at speed that will result in loss of pace.

I managed to get my first win last week at a local relay, albeit it was mainly down to having a very good runner in our team! Managed to run a controlled race knowing that i just needed to keep the first placed runner no more than 30 secs ahaead of me for our guy to do his thing. Was a bit disappointed on the hills though, just don't think i'm cut out for running quick up hill. Always seems to struggle.

Need to try to get my head down for 2 weeks now building into a 10k, although i'm feeling lazy and lethargic at the moment for some reason.
Proud Red

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Was a bit disappointed on the hills though, just don't think i'm cut out for running quick up hill. Always seems to struggle.

If only we could find a mid-point - I scream past people on the ups who on the flat are a similar pace, and they get me back on the downs!

Yip, both recent times PP. 3k was may I think (few days before an ultra so was well tapered) and 10k a few weeks back.

Thanks for the tips - I tend to go with the interval sessions the club have planned, but assuming the ankle heals up I'll have a few weeks of 1-2km reps at 5km pace.

Not that big a deal however, my focus is Berlin mara now. It's purely just pissed me off I've not got sub 18 when I know I can Very Happy
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tried a 5 x 2km on PP's advice last night, and it wasn't particularly enjoyable!

Aimed for 3.25 pace but probably averaged across the 5 about 3.29 pace, so a bit disappointed really. Have felt a bit lethargic for a while now, probably due to broken sleep with the little one, but hoping i'll find my inner mojo a little more in the coming weeks.

I'm think at my 10k race in a fortnight i'm still going to set out at 3.25 pace and see what happens ... as long as it's not windy!

I think the session probably would have been a bit easier with some company though. Running solo was a mental challenge.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you should be too down, that's a great session. Your splits were all 7min or just under which is good going given they were solo.

In my experience on race day with other people to race against you'll find that pace OK for the most part, just make sure to not go off too fast.

I'd reckon between 3:25-30s for the first half would be about right.
YKK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
YKK wrote:
So can I join the club?

Official park run time is 18 dead.

Nope, go do it again... Sorry.

So two years to the weekend after being rejected, I finally made it under.

17:51, all part of the latest marathon training stint.

This has been a lose target since about 2011 when I ran 18:13 after my first sub 3 marathon. So am pretty happy.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YKK wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
YKK wrote:
So can I join the club?

Official park run time is 18 dead.

Nope, go do it again... Sorry.

So two years to the weekend after being rejected, I finally made it under.

Great! I'm glad my motivational comment got you over the line!
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be down at parkrun for the first time in ages this weekend, right in the middle of a long run (probably 14-15 miles). Would like to be below 17, but who knows on the day
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see some recent activity on this thread Smile

Congrats YKK on your 17:51!

Sam, sub-17 as part of a longer run is just showing off Wink
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the sub-16 minute 5k thread?

Twisted Evil
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's on a need to know basis ... and i defs don't need to know!!

Super running last night mate!
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bud, shame I had nobody to run with. Next fastest 5k of the night was 18:58, so lapped everyone else 2+ times.

Apparently next 5k we do, they're going to try and get a relay together of people to race me Very Happy
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught up on this via Strava - well done Sam, that's a great run, even more so considering it's solo.

Seeing that has whet my appetite for the upcoming track season ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 37 of 41

Jump to: