Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-17/18 min 5k thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jgav

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to 20min 5k thread

Last edited by Jgav on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
So I don't really belong in the sub 18min 5k thread but...I have my first 5km timetrial since October later today (the group I run with do them monthly).

Last time out was 22.26 and my recent 1km and 2km target pace intervals have been around 4m/km, ran a 8m10 2km this week. I really want to get under that 20min barrier but think realistically that 21m is more achievable.

You know there's a sub 20min 5k thread
Jgav

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Jgav wrote:
So I don't really belong in the sub 18min 5k thread but...I have my first 5km timetrial since October later today (the group I run with do them monthly).

Last time out was 22.26 and my recent 1km and 2km target pace intervals have been around 4m/km, ran a 8m10 2km this week. I really want to get under that 20min barrier but think realistically that 21m is more achievable.

Didn't know about that one...off we go there.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Jgav wrote:

And then you must come back here once you've broken 20 Very Happy
Jgav

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
Jgav wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Jgav wrote:

And then you must come back here once you've broken 20 Very Happy

When I go under 19 and decide to target 18, I'll be back.
daetho

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went 18:45 in January (not flat course) so my target is to go sub 18 by the end of the year. Although the thought of holding 3:35 per km sounds like a big ask atm! Looking back over my PBs I've been improving by 1 min every year so it should be doable!
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daetho wrote:
Looking back over my PBs I've been improving by 1 min every year so it should be doable!

I guess congratulations on your 2024 Olympic 5km gold?
daetho

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
daetho wrote:
Looking back over my PBs I've been improving by 1 min every year so it should be doable!

I guess congratulations on your 2024 Olympic 5km gold?

Very Happy Winner
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, 2017 track season is nearly here so I'll be hopefully dipping in and out of here over the next few months.

Did a 10K on Saturday in 34:23 which is a large PB and suggests I'm around 16:30 5K shape, which is where I got to last summer, although I haven't done so much speed work this year yet so hoping for good things later into the season.

I'm doing the 5K at first round of the Southerns on Easter Saturday so will be aiming at 16:40 pace or thereabouts and see what happens, then got a 3K the weekend after on the track also.

Went up to vet status this year, which although is depressing in a way, offers the opportunity of the vets league track meets on Monday evenings, so hoping this means the chance to have a dab at more 800s and 1500s.

Targets for this year are 16:15 5K (might be a stretch!) and sub 9:30 3K (3:10s still feel pretty fast so I've not got my head around this one quite yet).
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive running on the weekend PP, and i suspect your 10 will likley drop even further if you race that as well.

Interesting how you haven't broken 9.30 for the 3k though. I run a 9.26 last year, unsure of my fitness and very conservatively. I 'think' i could get that closer to 9.10 ... yet i still haven't got rid of this nasty <35 10km monkey in about 5 attempts!
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers GB.

Yeah I remember your 3K and thought it was very impressive! 9:10 would be seriously good if you got down there - maybe when you see 2:35:50 at 39K at London maybe? Wink
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a 16:40 on Saturday on the track, 15sec quicker than the same weekend/fixture last year, and without the benefit of any shelter from the wind, so fairly happy with that, although I did get lapped!

It was a double fixture so had a large field in the 5000 for once, but the next group ahead were all doing 16:20 pace and went off quick so I never had anyone to work off until the last lap, when one of them appeared about 25m ahead and gave me a lovely carrot to chase - think I'd have been high 16:40s without that.

Hurdles and a 400m leg of the relay afterwards and I had a slight Achilles niggle by the end - will pay attention to it this week, but it's not been sore at all since then so fingers crossed.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now feel entitled to post to this thread as finally broke 20 mins with a 19:40 Parkrun - it is a slow parkrun due to being 5.1km and having 2 really tight corners on each of its 4 laps. I feel that An 18.xx 5km is now possible on a decent course.

Since long distance is my goal, 5km PB's are a bit of fun, and I am not doing any 5km specific training, however, it is encouraging that I am getting consistently faster

Last edited by mattsurf on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mungo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt...congrats!

Goodtime and good attitude if your A race is IM Wales. A blistering three mile effort won't really help total time in full distance but its all fitness and good fun.

My calf issue has put paid to speedwork as I want to finish my first 70.3 in June.
TriSam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Matt, what course was that on?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 38 of 40

Jump to: