Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-17/18 min 5k thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
Entered a 5km tomorrow, yeovilton. Gunning for 17.59 or better. Current pb 18.20 but have run a lot recently and am not as fat as normal

Yeovilton is a quick course. Doesn't look too windy, but you're going to get it in the face on the last 1km on that big open road. Dig deep and suffer!

PP - cracking racing lately. I think a 16:30 is in there somewhere, just nee dthe right race. I think the same for me, but don't think it will happen this year.

Ejc - embrace the wheeze my friend!

I ran a 5km last week on my usual course a week after the failed mara attempt. Wanted to just put my body on th eline a bit and see what happened. Didn't obsess over time but just tried to run hard. my heart hasn't been up at those levels in a long time with my training style of the last 9 months.

Still managed a 17.02 which i was very chuffed with. The legs were feeling it in the 4th km especially. Managed to hold a young lad off in the sprint finish over the last 300m though! I'm not that old yet sunshine! Put 5secs into him in the final 200m! haha.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
Jc
That's a good start after the knee issue.

Racing this year?

probably not this year - not seriously, at least....I am out with the Kitzbuhel team next month, team manager for the LD duathlon team at zofingen and team manager for ETU Sprint (Glasgow) next year which means attending qualifiers..

if nothing else, this will hopefully mean I can ease through my return and work on restoring a base over the winter...

will aim for a comeback next season Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

Ejc - embrace the wheeze my friend!

yep...back on an inhaler...and a chest xray next week...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
I would love to get down to that mate, but sub 16 in a recognised 5k? Not a chance. Entry for the 10k is a piece of pish compared to that. Keen on the the 5000, but 10,000 on a track might be a bit much for me.

If/when the entries open up to a slightly easier time, even sub-17, could you let me know? I'm sure I'll forget to check

Would be good to have a thrash around a track together

Weird - I didn't check when I posted the link, but it seems like the 5000 entry criteria have changed since I first looked at it a month or so ago, it was sub-19 for the 5000 as well for while.

There are some people on the start list I know are high 16s for 5K so you should get a slot I'd have thought.

My original entry messed up as the card details were wrong so I've lost my place - have just entered again so will let you know ASAP if I get a slot.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
TriSam wrote:
I would love to get down to that mate, but sub 16 in a recognised 5k? Not a chance. Entry for the 10k is a piece of pish compared to that. Keen on the the 5000, but 10,000 on a track might be a bit much for me.

If/when the entries open up to a slightly easier time, even sub-17, could you let me know? I'm sure I'll forget to check

Would be good to have a thrash around a track together

Weird - I didn't check when I posted the link, but it seems like the 5000 entry criteria have changed since I first looked at it a month or so ago, it was sub-19 for the 5000 as well for while.

There are some people on the start list I know are high 16s for 5K so you should get a slot I'd have thought.

My original entry messed up as the card details were wrong so I've lost my place - have just entered again so will let you know ASAP if I get a slot.

Indeed, due to popular demand they are limiting entries to sub-16 at the moment on the 5Ks, so I'm on the waiting list.

How elitist!
fruit thief

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, just hauled my aging frame around Yeovilton in perfect conditions. 18.16, a PB, but back to the drawing board for that sub 18!
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
Ah well, just hauled my aging frame around Yeovilton in perfect conditions. 18.16, a PB, but back to the drawing board for that sub 18!

Interesting - my club mate's Strava post was whining about the 'massive headwind for 2km' !! He does always have an excuse for everything though!! Very Happy

Ace on the PB though!!! You'll find those few seconds ... just blame the wind! Wink
daetho

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inching towards my goal with 18:27 at Clumber Parkrun in April (which had some mini hills and windy).
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to the tritalk.co.uk massive. I just smashed my pb, got so so close to being able to feel myself a member of this thread, and yet I'm second from last as a tritalk strava group member!
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Kudos to the tritalk.co.uk massive. I just smashed my pb, got so so close to being able to feel myself a member of this thread, and yet I'm second from last as a tritalk strava group member!

So is it saying only 6 tritalk people have ever run 5km?

Sounds believable...
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, just on that specific course in Battersea Park. I guess you could say it's surprising it's not a higher number of tritalkers who have participated in an event there as there are races there most Mondays in the summer, but my surprise was more related to quite how "punchy" basically all of those times were.

That said, the winner last night did 14.30ish, which is just insanely fast!
Tri it man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

Was trying to work out when I did this as don't remember doing a 5k at Battersea and it was actually a 10k from 2013. Did 35:30 that day and this was the last 5k split.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
No, just on that specific course in Battersea Park. I guess you could say it's surprising it's not a higher number of tritalkers who have participated in an event there as there are races there most Mondays in the summer, but my surprise was more related to quite how "punchy" basically all of those times were.

That said, the winner last night did 14.30ish, which is just insanely fast!

Well done stenard - good sizeable PB.

But more importantly thanks for adding the screenshot Smile

I'm going to be doing next Monday's race there to see if I can improve any further.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make any further improvements?
I managed to duck under 18 this week, with 17.56, so rather pleased! Passed 3k in exactly the same time as last week (10.31) but managed to stave off the 4th km fade a bit better it would seem and had a slightly stronger finish when I saw sub18 was on.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Did you make any further improvements?
I managed to duck under 18 this week, with 17.56, so rather pleased! Passed 3k in exactly the same time as last week (10.31) but managed to stave off the 4th km fade a bit better it would seem and had a slightly stronger finish when I saw sub18 was on.

Congrats - 17:56 is getting serious Smile

I didn't run in the end, had a heavier weekend than expected on the booze so wasn't feeling like a PB run was on the cards.

Plus Game of Thrones was waiting to be watched ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 40 of 41

Jump to: