Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-17/18 min 5k thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from 5k to 100 miles...great variety GB Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

I'm actually quite excited about the mile TT races on the track in July as well!! Very Happy

Pushes the point i keep telling all my friends that look for advice etc ... at our level, you've got to do what you enjoy. If you're not having fun, don't bother!

Am i giving up a couple of percentage points on each event by not focussing? Absolutely. Does it make a difference if i come 9th or 10th in a local 5km? Absolutely not. Do what you enjoy, and that'll count for so much!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

I'm actually quite excited about the mile TT races on the track in July as well!! Very Happy

Pushes the point i keep telling all my friends that look for advice etc ... at our level, you've got to do what you enjoy. If you're not having fun, don't bother!
!

That's why i drink more red wine these days...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
YKK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Am i giving up a couple of percentage points on each event by not focussing? Absolutely. Does it make a difference if i come 9th or 10th in a local 5km? Absolutely not. Do what you enjoy, and that'll count for so much!

Last year I pb'd at 100 miles and then 1 mile in 10 days Smile

But the main reason I pop onto this thread is to mention I took the easy option of finding a flat Parkrun recently and lowered my pb to 17:26. It still had 2 dead turns and was on the back of 130k in the previous 6 days so I expect there is more reduction available somewhere...
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YKK wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Last year I pb'd at 100 miles and then 1 mile in 10 days Smile

But the main reason I pop onto this thread is to mention I took the easy option of finding a flat Parkrun recently and lowered my pb to 17:26. It still had 2 dead turns and was on the back of 130k in the previous 6 days so I expect there is more reduction available somewhere...

Good stuff YKK. Dead turns in short races are a real killer!

Good to see more activity on here (definitely more of a summer thread) and seems like a few people getting their mojo back Smile
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

This!
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
TriSam wrote:
It was a Parlov session so I was running with whatever rest my partner allowed me to have! Think I averaged about 80s recovery

Although this is a quality (and fun) session...if you were to run 'off' a certain time you will be able to learn to accurately control your pace as well as gradually reduce the interval...

If you can run 68s off approx 2:30s you should be able to gradually reduce that interval down towards 2 mins.....it may mean running slightly slower initially to compensate for the reduced recovery, but it would be an excellent 4 - 6 month target

At our club back home (back in the day!) our middle distance group used to do 200m Parlaufs in pairs, but starting halfway down the straights, meaning a recovery jog across the middle of the track before your buddy completed the run. Probably meant just over 30s active recovery.

Think we only did 6 each but with the short recoveries it meant the whole thing was over very quickly and was good fun. One of my favourites.

Not one for the summer since there were Javelins about
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16:20 at a 5k down in Battersea Park this evening - new road PB Very Happy
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:

Worship
Wheezy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:

Not too shabby TriSam. Smile
twhat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:

NICE !!

Is that the Sri Chinmoy race ? Keep meaning to get down for one.
Not quite in the same league but i managed a 17.41 a few weeks ago. Only 2s off my pb so can hopefully go sub 17.30 this summer.. maybe at the next Battersea park race....
TriSam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, yeah it was the first of the summer Sri Chinmoy series, really good event. Low-key but well organised, and absolutely stacked. I was about 18th, with the winner running sub-15.

https://uk.srichinmoyraces.org/races/london
twhat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i can imagine its pretty strong. I'm kind of used to seeing that, my local park run is regularly won by a local runner in circa 14.20. He won the XC country nationals recently too. Kind of messes with a lot of people's pacing on the first 1k Very Happy

I might try and run there on the 25th....
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking running Sam. Sub 16 this year on the roads do you reckon?

I did my a speed session 9 days after my 100 yesterday ... and it showed! haha. I seem to be really wilting in the heat/humidity at the moment, not sure if that is related ot the ultras and my body being a bit 'down'? But i think that had just as much effect on me as the slow legs.

Tried 5 x 800m, 2r. There was just no real speed, and definitely no endurance. But i guess i can't have my cake and eat it, and i'll have to wait a bit to gain that freshness back. Have got a cool, low key relay event next Weds. 3.4km off road laps, local clubs which is always fun. And then a much bigger annual relay event in early July where we generally do very well as a club, so hoping to have some zip back before that.

The plan is also to head down to a few parkruns this summer and chase down the 5k time. There's normally a decent field and it's easily one of the fastest courses in the country ... and free!!! Smile

Might try some tempo work later in the week and see how the body reacts. Definitely not ready for hills yet though!
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Thanks, yeah it was the first of the summer Sri Chinmoy series, really good event. Low-key but well organised, and absolutely stacked. I was about 18th, with the winner running sub-15.

https://uk.srichinmoyraces.org/races/london

Great run Sam! Loads from my club pb'd too last night so looks like a good night for it.

How did you find the new course layout?
I do a lot of running in Battersea Park and always feel I fly down the main back straight. I've previously really struggled on the 4th km up the central avenue (even when pb-ing, that 4th k was always the slowest) so I'm thinking the new setup might work marginally in my favour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 48 of 50

Jump to: