Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Positive its my job on recruitment site!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paolo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Positive its my job on recruitment site!!! Reply with quote

I work for an Investment Manager in London and it has undergone a huge restructure recently which has led to me leading a team in the "reporting" area - this is not my strength. As background I have worked here for 12 years. and have around 9 years experience of leading teams.

Recently I have voiced my concerns to my Manager in that I feel I am underperforming due to being outside my knowledge and skillset and outcome is basically get on with it.

Looking at other opportunities on websites, I decided to look at the recruitment site we mainly use for our vacancies, due to historically good candidates...anyway I came across a job which I am certain is mine. No company is listed as this site does not do that, although there are one/two specifics that I feel could only relate to my position and unlikely to be another company, although of course this could be incorrect on my thinking.

We have no headcount for an extra position so I am dismayed that something underhand may be about to happen - what would the TT massive suggest I do?

Should I question this with the agency, who know me - not sure I would actually get a response and hell, I could look a right numpty if I am wrong?

Approach my boss explaining my fears, yet I was the one on the recruitment site!!

Approach HR with my concerns - although am sure this would get back to my boss, as no matter what "confidentiality" means it never happens...

Anything else - help me please as probably worrying about nothing but wish to address in case I really am being pushed out... Mad
alanperu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any friendly ex-colleagues who could reasonably pass as interested parties in the job and contact the agency to find out a bit more information?

Personally I'd probably try and get a bit more info out of the agency before going to management/HR.
SteveI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your company have an internal website for vacancies where it would go as well as on the 3rd party external website?
Paolo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanperu wrote:
Do you have any friendly ex-colleagues who could reasonably pass as interested parties in the job and contact the agency to find out a bit more information?

Personally I'd probably try and get a bit more info out of the agency before going to management/HR.

Yeah have thought of this approach, unfortunately the agencies want so much information from people and almost a committment to interview before they even divulge the slightlist inkling who the company may be!
Paolo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveI wrote:
Does your company have an internal website for vacancies where it would go as well as on the 3rd party external website?

We do yes, following the restructure though there has been a couple of vacancies filled by using external people only which didnt go on the internal net...which got me thinking about this.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wouldn't want to stereotype the Investment Banking world Shocked

Hope this all 'comes out in the wash' for you. If you're a good worker, then I'm sure there are positions out there elsewhere that you can fill. As far as questioning HR, just say someone else has tipped you off; doesn't have to be you that found the ad.

Last edited by Jorgan on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
andyb28

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a friend to phone the agency up but say that they parted badly with a particular firm and want to be sure they are not applying to work at said firm.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyb28 wrote:
I would get a friend to phone the agency up but say that they parted badly with a particular firm and want to be sure they are not applying to work at said firm.

+1

Nothing wrong with that - go for it.
pip

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that agencies will put fake jobs on recruitment sites to get people to send CVs in so that they have a good database when a real job comes up.
Tigger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
andyb28 wrote:

+1

Nothing wrong with that - go for it.

I'd do that myself. Just make sure that you use a phone that does not come up on caller display.
theprawn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll never prove it's your job on there, and why would you bother trying? sounds like your manager is chump but it's hard to get rid of someone who is not guilty of gross misconduct or doesn't want to go themselves.

you've already admitted you don't like / have the skills for your job, so just get on with searching for something else and make a move to something you're happier with. life is too short. i know i was at a firm for 8 years once and feared i'd not be able to make the switch / find anything else. i did and it was all fine.
BackMarker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theprawn wrote:
you'll never prove it's your job on there, and why would you bother trying? sounds like your manager is chump but it's hard to get rid of someone who is not guilty of gross misconduct or doesn't want to go themselves.

you've already admitted you don't like / have the skills for your job, so just get on with searching for something else and make a move to something you're happier with. life is too short. i know i was at a firm for 8 years once and feared i'd not be able to make the switch / find anything else. i did and it was all fine.

I am with prawn on this. Ive had to manage people over the years and getting rid of someone (after 1 years service) is very difficult and can take several months if you don't wanna be in a tribunal. If this was happening to you then you would have already begun this path of warnings, objective setting etc.

Also, if the jobs not right for you or you for your employer your best having a look for something else but at your leisure.
Paolo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the thoughts guys, I will carry on looking elsewhere and internally as I am no use to the business in my present role..

It would be disappointing if it were my role, appreciate never to be proved as relationship with my boss is good and I am nowhere near to being performance managed or anything else of that ilk...all just seems a bit underhanded, of course I could be talking bollox and it is not even my role.......who knows!

Now where is that lottery ticket
pip

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously as I said before, it could well be the recruitment agent making the job up so they have lots of CVs. Might be worth giving them a call, don't say who you are, but quiz them and try and tell if they are bluffing. If it's a real job they should be able to give you a clear status of where they are in the process. If not, they will probably be more vague.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pip wrote:
Seriously as I said before, it could well be the recruitment agent making the job up so they have lots of CVs. Might be worth giving them a call, don't say who you are, but quiz them and try and tell if they are bluffing. If it's a real job they should be able to give you a clear status of where they are in the process. If not, they will probably be more vague.

and if the agent is doing that, then they are breaking the law. agents are not allowed to advertise fictitious jobs.

I'm a Director of a Recruitment Agency btw... Smile

there are many jobs with many companies that are similar and it may be simply that the job is genuine but with another firm. simple as.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: