Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bosworth Tri

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newMan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Bosworth Tri Reply with quote

I cycled out to this event over the weekend to watch a friend who was racing. It all seemed a shamble! People were told it would be none wet suite via email the day before but on arrival they could actually choose. The swim end to T1 was a massive run. Maybe 500-600m. The waves were running 20+ mins late and it really felt like they could of been putting closer to each other. We traveled back by the car. Unfortunately when leaving the site we had to leave directly there bike were entering and exiting transition! We literally had racers passing the car as they were hopping on/off their bikes! Then I heard, from the friend racing, that the run was more like 8.8k not 10k
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple of friends doing the half distance & they tell me the run was 2 miles short.
fruit thief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still,I guess all racers had the same conditions. So it was still a race. I did a race at Bosworth in 1997 - didn't enjoy it very much, Terrapin wetsuit got stuck on.
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps the water temp dropped over night? BTF ref has final decision on that so not really the RD's fault except maybe he shouldnt have pre-empmted but just warned it was currently non wetsuit. Unless he did that and it was misunderstood. without the email we wont know.

500m massive run into T1? logistics cant be helped, have you seen Ironman Wales!
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
perhaps the water temp dropped over night? BTF ref has final decision on that so not really the RD's fault except maybe he shouldnt have pre-empmted but just warned it was currently non wetsuit. Unless he did that and it was misunderstood. without the email we wont know.

500m massive run into T1? logistics cant be helped, have you seen Ironman Wales!

water temp drops can happen quickly - I've seen it go from 24C to 21C overnight which is unusual but can depend on depth, how the water is fed (river/spring can be cold even in warm weather), and of course quality of measuring tool.

I had an issue recently where in advance of the event the organisers were quoting temps of 19/20C - on race morning (and evening before as measured by the swim safety team) it was 26C. so athletes were led to believe it would be a wetsuit optional swim, but when I banned them on race morning you could feel the daggers in my back, and the level of disbelief was amazing.

simple answer to RDs - don't mislead; simple answer to athletes - be prepared for non-wetsuit swims by doing some training without them!

my local lake is just under 24C - lovely without a wetsuit, but I can't believe how many are still putting them on to swim.
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
hammerer wrote:

water temp drops can happen quickly - I've seen it go from 24C to 21C overnight which is unusual but can depend on depth, how the water is fed (river/spring can be cold even in warm weather), and of course quality of measuring tool.

I had an issue recently where in advance of the event the organisers were quoting temps of 19/20C - on race morning (and evening before as measured by the swim safety team) it was 26C. so athletes were led to believe it would be a wetsuit optional swim, but when I banned them on race morning you could feel the daggers in my back, and the level of disbelief was amazing.

simple answer to RDs - don't mislead; simple answer to athletes - be prepared for non-wetsuit swims by doing some training without them!

my local lake is just under 24C - lovely without a wetsuit, but I can't believe how many are still putting them on to swim.

I overheard some people talking at Hever once the ban had come in. One of them basically admitted he couldn't swim and wetsuit was needed for him to move forward. Maybe people were throwing shade but no daggers.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
hammerer wrote:

I overheard some people talking at Hever once the ban had come in. One of them basically admitted he couldn't swim and wetsuit was needed for him to move forward. Maybe people were throwing shade but no daggers.

not surprised by that at all. far too many beginners don't have the basic swimming skills they should learn in a pool and trust all on a wetsuit keeping them afloat.

best was a lady competing in one of the aquabike events who came up to me to ask if she could really, really, really use her wetsuit. I said no but asked why. turns out she had nothing to wear for a non-wetsuit swim and was going naked underneath it and use the changing tent to get into her bike kit after the swim. I suggested she visit one of the expo kit tents and see what she could get - she rocked up to the swim start in a swimsuit and gave me a big thumbs up.
ed_m

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosworth Tri Reply with quote

newMan wrote:
I cycled out to this event over the weekend to watch a friend who was racing. It all seemed a shamble! People were told it would be none wet suite via email the day before but on arrival they could actually choose. The swim end to T1 was a massive run. Maybe 500-600m. The waves were running 20+ mins late and it really felt like they could of been putting closer to each other. We traveled back by the car. Unfortunately when leaving the site we had to leave directly there bike were entering and exiting transition! We literally had racers passing the car as they were hopping on/off their bikes! Then I heard, from the friend racing, that the run was more like 8.8k not 10k

500-600m from swim exit to T1 ?..
in most directions at bossie you'd have left the water park !
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non wetsuit at Tartu....1,750m downstream....what's not to like?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raced it, very disappointed, some things outside organisers control like water temp, but their reaction to it wasn't ideal.
Non-wetsuit doesn't bother me, rules are clearly determined by race temp. Water temp dropped from 26 to 18 overnight because site pumped cold water in to maintain aquatic life. Not their fault but no mention of this anywhere, was only seeing people wearing wetsuits in earlier waves that triggered questions.
Run course was dull, multiple laps of out and back over uneven grass without paths (4for Oly, 8 for 1/2). I got 8.6km for Oly meaning 1/2 must have been very short, yet Oly was sold as being an 11km run for same course. Busy public park so lots children playing on the run course, smoky BBQs to run through, crowds stood drinking oblivious to the race.
And yes transition was another thing should have been better thought considering they host the event there every year and say nationals were there in past. Same in/out bike so people crossing, plus cars leaving park at same time and car barriers down for part of the morning so had to run through very narrow gap with bike.
ttowel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bosworth Tri Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
newMan wrote:

500-600m from swim exit to T1 ?..
in most directions at bossie you'd have left the water park !

Why let facts get in the way of a good story?

This was run by a different events company to Speedhub/1485 tri club events which are normally very good, but think this was Onyourmarks events and made a complete hash of it, which has now spoilt the reputation of the speedhub events.

Shame.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY DO PEOPLE SPEND 8 MONTHS A YEAR TRAINING IN A POOL IN A SWIMSUIT- THEN SH1T THEMSELVES WHEN A RACE IS NON-WETSUIT Question

Get a grip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: