Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Are you still a Lance fan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you still a Lance fan?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 46 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 93 ]
Total Votes : 139

pip

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I am not a Lance fan anymore, I think he sounds like a complete arsehole but I do respect the guy for what he achieved even though he is wiped from the record books.
lewiswaterworth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this on facebook earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sxuXt_R6Mw&feature=youtu.be

It reminded me of a few on here!
I'm surprised that nobody is calling for him to be stripped of his 2003 BBC overseas sports personality of the year award.
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewiswaterworth wrote:

I'm surprised that nobody is calling for him to be stripped of his 2003 BBC overseas sports personality of the year award.

Already posted about that.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2012-08-24/bbc-will-not-take-away-armstrongs-sports-personality-title/

scandalous
K.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingstonGraham wrote:
lewiswaterworth wrote:

Already posted about that.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2012-08-24/bbc-will-not-take-away-armstrongs-sports-personality-title/

scandalous

Maybe that just shows how much of a mickey mouse award it is, even in the eyes of the BBC themselves...
lewiswaterworth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a real can of worms.

I wonder how much of an edge the drugs gave him in terms of personality?
do the other leading personalities of the time feel cheated?
If striped of the award could it be reawarded?
Who came second?
Where they doped also?
user134098

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a popularity contest, sporting integrity has little to do with it
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianmcl wrote:
it's a popularity contest, sporting integrity has little to do with it

it's modern sport, integrity has little to do with it

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
jeffm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed on Strava that he's now riding a Crumpton. All the treks have disappeared!
adep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you put me down as a maybe please Confused

He wasn't the only one doping but he was the best of his time.Tricky one this.
user134098

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best what?
flyingelephant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not tricky. It's easy.

Slow day at work, and I've had a coffee, so....

Lance did more for cycling in the late 90's and 00's than anyone. Put more lardy unhealthy butts on bike seats than anyone. Has a cracking good charity. Let us not forget that. How many lives has his 'ways' saved and extended? What value can you put on a single life, let alone the multitude his charity and cycling exploits have benifitted for the better.

90's and early 00's was full of drugs, there was no question about that. I think if anyone believed he, or most other riders were clean, they lived in cookoo land. I always suspected that he took drugs, but was very clever in keeping his bloods clean or within limits. So it makes no difference to me that he has been uncoverd.

By removing the wins from him, you have to remove nearly all the pelliton from the 90's and 00's. Leave it as it was or grey out the drug fueled years, and have a footnote about PED's.

Sure, fine and criminalise them so that the trend is stopped. Clean up the sport and try to ensure it's all played out safely and fairly. I'm 100% for that. (I collect some old racing bikes, but stop at the 90's as I feel it's all about the drugs in those years, so the bike technology looses it's appeal.)
We don't hear of many cyclists not waking up in the morning anymore, which is a good sign, yes.

You don't have to like the guy. But you have to appreciate what his cancer charity has done, and the amount of butts on bikes he has encouraged. He doped by choice, in a team that had a dope culture helped along by himself, and rode against others that doped. But unlike the other riders, how many have put so much effort, time and money into something good that has touched so many lives?

Let the person who has never sinned, cast the first stone.

And by all that. I am not defending him. I am disheartened by the whole situation from the need for cyclists to take drugs way back, to the drugs culture, PEDs and the whole way the situation has been handles and has manifested itself.

Who is responsible? It has to be the cycling governing bodies, both local, national and international for letting the drugs culture take a hold of the sport and sticking their head in the sand until something like this happens.
K.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingelephant wrote:
It's not tricky. It's easy.

Slow day at work, and I've had a coffee, so....

Lance did more for cycling in the late 90's and 00's than anyone. Put more lardy unhealthy butts on bike seats than anyone. Has a cracking good charity. Let us not forget that. How many lives has his 'ways' saved and extended? What value can you put on a single life, let alone the multitude his charity and cycling exploits have benifitted for the better.

90's and early 00's was full of drugs, there was no question about that. I think if anyone believed he, or most other riders were clean, they lived in cookoo land. I always suspected that he took drugs, but was very clever in keeping his bloods clean or within limits. So it makes no difference to me that he has been uncoverd.

By removing the wins from him, you have to remove nearly all the pelliton from the 90's and 00's. Leave it as it was or grey out the drug fueled years, and have a footnote about PED's.

Sure, fine and criminalise them so that the trend is stopped. Clean up the sport and try to ensure it's all played out safely and fairly. I'm 100% for that. (I collect some old racing bikes, but stop at the 90's as I feel it's all about the drugs in those years, so the bike technology looses it's appeal.)
We don't hear of many cyclists not waking up in the morning anymore, which is a good sign, yes.

You don't have to like the guy. But you have to appreciate what his cancer charity has done, and the amount of butts on bikes he has encouraged. He doped by choice, in a team that had a dope culture helped along by himself, and rode against others that doped. But unlike the other riders, how many have put so much effort, time and money into something good that has touched so many lives?

Let the person who has never sinned, cast the first stone.

And by all that. I am not defending him. I am disheartened by the whole situation from the need for cyclists to take drugs way back, to the drugs culture, PEDs and the whole way the situation has been handles and has manifested itself.

Who is responsible? It has to be the cycling governing bodies, both local, national and international for letting the drugs culture take a hold of the sport and sticking their head in the sand until something like this happens.

*throws stone*

(well you never know... Wink )

Good post although there will be plenty that disagree of course...
user134098

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has his cancer charity done? Facts please.
K.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianmcl wrote:

Good question... this is an extract from a Bicycling.com article...

Quote:
According to its own figures and reports by watchdogs such as Charity Navigator, Livestrong has raised more than $390 million in its 14-year lifetime, including $48 million collected from 215,000 donors around the world last year. More than 81 percent of the total income has been invested directly in cancer programs, initiatives and advocacy efforts, which earns the foundation a three-star rating (out of four) by Charity Navigator

I have no idea who Charity Navigator are by the way. Wink
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K. wrote:
ianmcl wrote:

Good question... this is an extract from a Bicycling.com article...

Quote:
According to its own figures and reports by watchdogs such as Charity Navigator, Livestrong has raised more than $390 million in its 14-year lifetime, including $48 million collected from 215,000 donors around the world last year. More than 81 percent of the total income has been invested directly in cancer programs, initiatives and advocacy efforts, which earns the foundation a three-star rating (out of four) by Charity Navigator

I have no idea who Charity Navigator are by the way. Wink

Charity navigator are a charity....... Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: