Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Are you still a Lance fan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you still a Lance fan?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 46 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 93 ]
Total Votes : 139

Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobbie wrote:
I've said my piece on a few threads but kept out of the recent stuff deliberately:
- I think it's a waste of money going after LA now
- I think the process to reduce bans for other cyclists to testify against somebody who's retired is stupid and unfair
- To go after LA and not go after everybody else makes a mockery of the system

I've voted 'fan' because I still admire his achievements - fan is going rather too far as I've also always thought he was a total knob (which of course doesn't affect his cycling). Having realised some considerable time ago that this he was almost certainly doping and that I still admired him came as a bit of a shock to me - I put it down to:
- Everybody else of any note was doing it ... and had been for years (let's not be naive here Smile )
- If other sports were to test at the same level I bet we'd see comparable levels of doping. We got an inkling of this with the tennis nandralone situation and I'd bet money that if every premiership footballer was surprise tested this week we'd see 1-10% fails.
- Most importantly, I still think he did a lot for cycling and his off-road trip is probably the most impressive pro sporting achievement I've seen

Just my opinion as always Smile
pretty much +1 as he was still the best (doped) TdF rider of his generation, no one can take that away
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
user134098

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
best (doped) TdF rider of his generation, no one can take that away

Check back in about an hour
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
Cobbie wrote:
I've said my piece on a few threads but kept out of the recent stuff deliberately:
- I think the process to reduce bans for other cyclists to testify against somebody who's retired is stupid and unfair

I've voted 'fan' because I still admire his achievements - fan is going rather too far as I've also always thought he was a total knob (which of course doesn't affect his cycling). Having realised some considerable time ago that this he was almost certainly doping and that I still admired him came as a bit of a shock to me - I put it down to:
- Everybody else of any note was doing it ... and had been for years (let's not be naive here :) )
- If other sports were to test at the same level I bet we'd see comparable levels of doping. We got an inkling of this with the tennis nandralone situation and I'd bet money that if every premiership footballer was surprise tested this week we'd see 1-10% fails.
- Most importantly, I still think he did a lot for cycling and his off-road trip is probably the most impressive pro sporting achievement I've seen

Just my opinion as always :)
pretty much +1 as he was still the best (doped) TdF rider of his generation, no one can take that away

Best of the riders who were prepared to cheat. Who knows who else was out there?
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im waiting for the 'Lance Armstrong is Gay' headline
K.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransitionTed wrote:
Im waiting for the 'Lance Armstrong is Gay' headline

That would hardly be news...

I've not voted yet. I can't decide.
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:

pretty much +1 as he was still the best (doped) TdF rider of his generation, no one can take that away[/b]

cant help thinking that s a dubious claim to fame and not one id want to share with my grandchildren around a roaring fire one christmas eve

Last edited by TransitionTed on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
user134098

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingstonGraham wrote:
Toyota_Crown wrote:
Cobbie wrote:

- Everybody else of any note was doing it ... and had been for years (let's not be naive here Smile )

Best of the riders who were prepared to cheat. Who knows who else was out there?

..or how they'd have got on if they'd all been clean
Nobbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
Cobbie wrote:

I used to think that fair enough, everyone was doping so Lance was still the best rider, but given all that has come out I suspect he was just the most organised and determined doper of them all and not necessarily the best rider. Certainly not a fan given the way he's treated others.
harry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chucked my LA books on the woodburner last night. A cheat is a cheat.
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harry wrote:
I chucked my LA books on the woodburner last night. A cheat is a cheat.

did the fumes make you high?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least he was honest enough to say that it wasn't about the bike

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobbie wrote:
Toyota_Crown wrote:
Cobbie wrote:

I used to think that fair enough, everyone was doping so Lance was still the best rider, but given all that has come out I suspect he was just the most organised and determined doper of them all and not necessarily the best rider. Certainly not a fan given the way he's treated others.
being the best TdFer also means being the best organised/team/manipulator etc its not just about being the best (doped) rider on the bike. I admire his tw@ttishness Laughing
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
fatandfast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the lance "7 wins TDF " DVD, i was just wondering should i keep it to show my grankids in years to come as a piece of cycling history, that all went so wrong, or maybe that drugs dont work ( or they do until you get caught).

Maybe it could shown to wannabe lawyers on how to make lots of money out of sport?

All i know is that guilty or not, i enjoyed many years of watching TDF and i dont believe we will ever see racing like it again.

Can we talk about footballers wages now and why they should get paid so much money for trotting around a pitch for 90 minutes a couple of times a week.
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatandfast wrote:

Can we talk about footballers wages now and why they should get paid so much money for trotting around a pitch for 90 minutes a couple of times a week.

yer becasue thats really all they do isnt it.

perhaps ask the money men how much those footballers earn them? Just look how much is the latest samsung sponsorship deal at the chavs and then ask how much HTC paid for cycling?
patriciaa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooooooooz wrote:
He's still good-looking, athletic, rich, sexy etc , and now he's dangerous to know........

t'was too good to be true Sad sigh Sad Angel Upset
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: