Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
10% Turnouts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BikeRide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: 10% Turnouts Reply with quote

In Wiltshire, the first police area to announce results, only 15.3 per cent of eligible voters turned up to cast their vote. According to Police Exchange, the think tank which originally proposed the commissioners's role, turnout will be the lowest of any national poll in British history.

Only 15 per cent of the public are expected to vote, which is significantly lower than the 23 per cent who turned out in the 1999 European elections, the worst ever turnout in a national poll.

The newly elected commissioners will be responsible for the budgets, strategies and priorities of their respective police forces, and will be paid up to 100,000 per year.

Voters around the country have taken to the social networking site Twitter to report low turnout at poll booths across the country.

One voter, Paul Taylor, said: "Voted in West Oxfordshire around 16:00. First voter in two hours said staff".

Another vote, Ian Storey-Less, said: "Walked into our polling station at 14:25 and the staff jumped a mile when we opened the door".

Just what difference are Police Commissioners going to make?
BikeRide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11% turnout in Staffordshire.
Welsh Moz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BikeRide wrote:
11% turnout in Staffordshire.

11%??? Pah, bloody amateurs - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-20355358?SThisFB
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised. I received no information on any candidate and have had to prioritise other things. My mp isn't even doing her job ffs and I'm busy trying to get a resolution to that

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk
www.naturalrunningform.wordpress.com
Running analysis and feedback

Raising money for Help For Heroes.......standby for another world record attempt coming soon...
GrahamO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 10% Turnouts Reply with quote

BikeRide wrote:
Just what difference are Police Commissioners going to make?

The ability to determine the priorities of the local plod - like actually walking the beat rather than hiding inside police stations when the weather is cold, dark or riany.

There a senior police officer (Manchester area I think) who had crime drop massively in his area when he shut down the police stations at night apart from a single desk officer and made the police on duty stay out of the station unless actually booking a miscreant into a cell.

Stopping low leve crime seems to be popular with the public yet the police don't seem to want to get involved. Sure, there are limited resources, but we the public cannot complain about the police when we have no say in the priorities. Better we determine the priorities and then we will feel the consequences for good or bad. If bad, then maybe we will appreciate a little more the job the police do, and if it works out, then we were right all along Wink

Just like the fire brigade predicting death, destruction and the country in flames if changes were made, and thus far we continue to live in a waterlogged country, predictably devoid of places burning down every day.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
I'm not surprised. I received no information on any candidate and have had to prioritise other things.

Perhaps reading the paper or reading the news because it was said right at the outset that candidates would not be funded to generate tons of paperwork advertising which ends up trashed but they would get access to a common website whic they could fill out.

Thereby stopping the major parties from dominating the successful candidates by outspending everyone and using party faithful to call at everyones houses.

Its what will happen when political spending gets limited and/or capped by virtue of being state funded.
Pete the Triathlete?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never asked if I wanted a police commissioner in the first place so why should I then vote for another level of bureaucracy and more wasted public money. If there had been a 'none of the above' or 'no commissioner' option then turnout would probably have been higher and the public purse would be a few 100k richer!!!!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
I'm not surprised. I received no information on any candidate and have had to prioritise other things.

Perhaps reading the paper or reading the news because it was said right at the outset that candidates would not be funded to generate tons of paperwork advertising which ends up trashed but they would get access to a common website whic they could fill out.

Thereby stopping the major parties from dominating the successful candidates by outspending everyone and using party faithful to call at everyones houses.

Its what will happen when political spending gets limited and/or capped by virtue of being state funded.

I get my news in slims.......

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk
www.naturalrunningform.wordpress.com
Running analysis and feedback

Raising money for Help For Heroes.......standby for another world record attempt coming soon...
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete the Triathlete? wrote:
I was never asked if I wanted a police commissioner in the first place so why should I then vote for another level of bureaucracy and more wasted public money. If there had been a 'none of the above' or 'no commissioner' option then turnout would probably have been higher and the public purse would be a few 100k richer!!!!

I didn't even receive a polling card! Complete clusterfcuk IMO

Blog
Dazzer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted

I couldn't have held my head up high if this.........

was in charge of the Humberside Police.

I think he's had enough sponging off the taxpayer for one lifetime.
irondog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted. I have a postal vote set up, so that it's easy to fill it in and post it. The way I see it, my great uncle had to kill lots of Germans on the Somme to allow me to vote. He quite liked Germans, (the NW of England Manchester way had a large Anglo German population pre 1914), and hated having to do what he did. So, I always vote when I can, to honour Fred.

But Police commissioners? Why would anyone want to attempt to add potential political bias to an institution which is largely politically free (well, apart from the masonic issues)?
haych_seedy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

irondog wrote:
I voted. I have a postal vote set up, so that it's easy to fill it in and post it. The way I see it, my great uncle had to kill lots of Germans on the Somme to allow me to vote. He quite liked Germans, (the NW of England Manchester way had a large Anglo German population pre 1914), and hated having to do what he did. So, I always vote when I can, to honour Fred.

But Police commissioners? Why would anyone want to attempt to add potential political bias to an institution which is largely politically free (well, apart from the masonic issues)?

I'm also on postal vote so mine went in and I also found myself questioning the role of political influence on the position so voted for an independent candidate. As it happens a politician won but at least my view was counted.
Runaway_Nan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haych_seedy wrote:

I'm also on postal vote so mine went in and I also found myself questioning the role of political influence on the position so voted for an independent candidate. As it happens a politician won but at least my view was counted.

+1

I always wander down to the local polling station. Think I've only ever missed one vote.
BikeRide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
I'm not surprised. I received no information on any candidate and have had to prioritise other things. My mp isn't even doing her job ffs and I'm busy trying to get a resolution to that

Thought MP for Woburn was Mark Lancaster.

You talk'in about that woman on Celebrity Jungle Juice?
BikeRide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete the Triathlete? wrote:

Yes should have voted on whether to have one and who it was at the same time. Should have also timed it with other elections - Europe, Council, Parish whatever. Where's our referendum on Europe?

Need to put all these elections in one go and do a free call telephone in voting system.

I suprised there was a 11% turnout. Last night on the News they were emptying empty ballot boxes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: