Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
2swim4life - Swim 24 miles in 24 hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hillwall

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: 2swim4life - Swim 24 miles in 24 hours Reply with quote

I've just entered this

http://www.2swim4life.co.uk/

You swim 1 mile, on the hour, every hour, for 24 hours.

26th April 2013, Guildford Lido. 50. You are allowed a wetsuit if you wish.

Has anyone else done this before? Anyone got any hints or tips.

My guess it will get pretty cold during the night and warming up between swims will be tough so plenty of warm clothing and about a million towels will be required.

Should be interesting.
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a friends wife did it last year at Guildford as part of her Channel swim build up, although she may have only done a 12 hour stint, can't quite remember

If I recall correctly she really suffered with the cold and also had real nutrition issues as she just was not used to the cumulative effects of exhaustion at the time.

I would think that hot soup will be your friend

As an aside my kids' swim teacher swum 36 km in a pool in 10 hrs just before Christmas 2011 (thats 1000 lengths of a 36m pool). I am seeing him next week end and will see if he has any tips. ( He actually ended up doing 52km in 2012- cos he could), but had to stop as he was teaching swim school 15 mins later

The video is below. Pay particular attention to the last length about a minute in - it will put a smile on your face

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfaQhX6fUyw

But I'm still not going to swim
Nobbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that sounds epic in it's dullness. Swimming 24 miles is bad enough, but speading it over 24 Hours so you have to hang around in just mind bending. Are you sure it's not some special recruitment event for special forces Laughing
hillwall

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobbie wrote:
Wow, that sounds epic in it's dullness. Swimming 24 miles is bad enough, but speading it over 24 Hours so you have to hang around in just mind bending. Are you sure it's not some special recruitment event for special forces Laughing

I know it may sound boring to some but there is something epic about 24 hour events that mean in your own bubble they are strangely exciting. It never even crossed my mind that it would be boring. Anyway, you get to spend most of the time sitting around chatting with your mates.
RiRi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it sounds great. I'd definitely like a go. I wouldn't get much rest each hour though, and I'd be struggling to fit a mile in per hour towards the end.

Does sound like a good training session for a continuous deca though. Idea

And Ted could just about stand on his toes at the deep bit, if needed. Wink
KP nut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed! Sounds like it will get very tough towards the end. Not sure I could cope with stop/start all the time. You have to actively re-commit 24 times. Whereas in 24 hour runs you can disengage brain and plod on (so I am told). You just have drag your ass out of aid stations once every 2-3 hours.

My Outlaw Race Report: http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80246
Davem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be a nice way to spend my 53rd birthday. Not.

Good luck with that Will. As others have said, good training for the A2A and Continuous Deca.
Son of Fedor

Location: M6 southbound, roadside cafe on a wild, wet and windy night...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers 'hillwall'. After seeing your post late last night I managed to get myself entered as well just before the cut off Surprised
Methinks it'll be much harder mentally than physically to be honest, cos after all a 1600m isn't that far. However, at 3 in the morning when you've already done 17 miles and you've still got 7 to go it might just catch you by the danglies and get you thinking that you'd much rather be tucked up in a nice warm bed as opposed to splashing round a single digit lido Very Happy
Good luck with your training pal and look forward to meeting you in sunny Guildford.
Sir Velo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Veggieboy"]I think a friends wife did it last year at Guildford as part of her Channel swim build up, although she may have only done a 12 hour stint, can't quite remember

If I recall correctly she really suffered with the cold and also had real nutrition issues as she just was not used to the cumulative effects of exhaustion at the time.

Veggieboy, sounds like Sue. Yes she is doing it again this year. I think the 24miles swim, again in preparation for more long distance swimming. She also has the 'cold water championships' to do at Tooting first. Now that takes some doing in this weather, still it could be worse as it is actually quite mild at the moment.

SV
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sir Velo"]
Veggieboy wrote:
I think a friends wife did it last year at Guildford as part of her Channel swim build up, although she may have only done a 12 hour stint, can't quite remember

Veggieboy, sounds like Sue. Yes she is doing it again this year. I think the 24miles swim, again in preparation for more long distance swimming. She also has the 'cold water championships' to do at Tooting first. Now that takes some doing in this weather, still it could be worse as it is actually quite mild at the moment.

SV

Indeed it is Sue, our sons are in the same class at school and play football together

But I'm still not going to swim
salad_dodger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I'd heard about this event before entries closed. Shame as it sounds like a fantastic challenge. Best of luck to all who have entered!
hillwall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either I'm reading it differently but the entry is still available until 1st April. Unless everyone has suddenly gone american on us.

I can't see anywere that says it's full.

I'm going to be using this as a test event to try different nutrition as well as dealing with the cold and sleep deprivation but in a controlled environment. Should be very interesting.
chrise

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill check out the dates at work tomorrow. I actually quite fancy doing this Will.

Definitly something different, and as Dave says good training for a deca, not that im going to be doing it!!!!
salad_dodger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake re the closing date - entries actually close on April 1st. Just need to find someone to act as 'buddy' for the event now...
hillwall

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be good to have some other TTers present. Wetsuits are optional and I doubt it will be that warm at the end of April.

Just need to work out some kind of nutritional/resting plan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: