Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
2swim4life - Swim 24 miles in 24 hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hillwall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I wouldn't be so sure that wearing a wetsuit isn't harder. Because of the time taken to remove and put a wetsuit back on I only stripped mine down to my waist each time meaning I was always sat around in wet gear getting cold. And putting on a damp wetsuit at 4am in the cold is a miserable experience in itself. My friend who completed without a wetsuit said she never felt like the water was cold and it was only the part standing on the side before getting in that was bad. Not to say she was warm, but maybe slightly less cold. She is double hard though.
martinp....ink

Location: Running on the trails laughin at the tarmac munchers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris/Will - I'm not as strong a swimmer as you two, I'll have much less of a wait between miles.

After spending all of 2013 running, I fancy a different challenge for 2014 n swimblin could be it Smile
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what the slowest mile times were?

But I'm still not going to swim
RiRi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veggieboy wrote:
Any idea what the slowest mile times were?

I was wondering the same thing. Surely not everyone is as freakishly fast as Hillwall?! Wink Smile
hillwall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about slowest times but we had put down our planned mile times down at 28 minutes which seeded us in lane 4 of 10 (although we were a bit faster than that in general). We were actually very consistently overtaking quite a few in lanes 1-3 as well.

I would guess the slowest regular mile times were approx. 40 minutes although not certain about this. I am sure that some individual miles people did near the end would have been significantly slower.

It was excellently low key though with no real pressure and was thoroughly enjoyable for this. I think many had only planned to complete the first 12 hours or so.
RiRi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hillwall wrote:
Not sure about slowest times but we had put down our planned mile times down at 28 minutes which seeded us in lane 4 of 10 (although we were a bit faster than that in general). We were actually very consistently overtaking quite a few in lanes 1-3 as well.

I would guess the slowest regular mile times were approx. 40 minutes although not certain about this. I am sure that some individual miles people did near the end would have been significantly slower.

It was excellently low key though with no real pressure and was thoroughly enjoyable for this. I think many had only planned to complete the first 12 hours or so.

You're definitely selling it to me. Smile

Hope it happens again next year.
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiRi wrote:
hillwall wrote:

Well I'd defo be in the slow lane then !

But with a wet suit I should be able to trot out quite a few

But I'm still not going to swim
martinp....ink

Location: Running on the trails laughin at the tarmac munchers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veggieboy wrote:
RiRi wrote:
hillwall wrote:

Well I'd defo be in the slow lane then !

But with a wet suit I should be able to trot out quite a few

Nuttas Twisted Evil
chrise

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hillwall wrote:

I was in lane 9 so towards the slow swimmers, I think I estimated my time as being 35's. I was swimming 28 - 31s, with the last three taking 34's.

I've been thinking about non-wetsuit v wetsuit for this event, and I think if you could train properly for it, abit like Mark Padley did, non - wetsuit is the way ahead. I found it really hard getting warm then having to put the cold wetsuit back on.

Great event, would i do it again.........???
chrise

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fedor wrote:
chrise wrote:
Son of Fedor wrote:

The wife was helping me get dry after my shower this morning (ooooer!) and said 'I suppose you'll be thinking of a bloody Deca Ironman next then will you?
Mmmmmm, now there's a thought eh?

Continuous Deca next year then?!!!

Aye, I reckon mate. Maybe not next year though as I reckon I'll need a wee bit of training behind me (miles in the legs and all that). Is it better to do a continuous deca or 10 x IM distance to break it all up???

Thats a whole seperate debate!!

My gut feeling having just done this swim is that a 10 x 1 is much easier than the continuous. I'm sure peeps on the Enduroman thread will have their opinion aswell!
Son of Fedor

Location: M6 southbound, roadside cafe on a wild, wet and windy night...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hillwall wrote:
Actually, I wouldn't be so sure that wearing a wetsuit isn't harder. Because of the time taken to remove and put a wetsuit back on I only stripped mine down to my waist each time meaning I was always sat around in wet gear getting cold. And putting on a damp wetsuit at 4am in the cold is a miserable experience in itself. My friend who completed without a wetsuit said she never felt like the water was cold and it was only the part standing on the side before getting in that was bad. Not to say she was warm, but maybe slightly less cold. She is double hard though.

Totally agree on this point. I wore a wetsuit from the start and stripped down to the waist (at least until mile 20 when I just left the bloody thing on and put clothes over the top). The feeling of having to put a wet and cold wetsuit back on and then geting in the water was one of the hardest things to cope with. That and the fact that with each tumble turn you got a cold dose of water down your back means wearing one wasn't a cop out.
You guys who are thinking of doing this as a challenge and something 'different' should give it a shot, you won't regret it. It's every two years (so 2015) and the organiser has promised a 'twist' next time - God knows what this could be as I can't actually imagine it being any harder than it already is ha!
If you want to have a look at the event as seen from my support crew's perspective have a wee shufty at the link below. Please excuse the crying, it was really dusty at the Lido Surprised
http://youtu.be/gouEpuTqiWY
Son of Fedor

Location: M6 southbound, roadside cafe on a wild, wet and windy night...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hillwall wrote:

Totally agree on this point. I wore a wetsuit from the start and stripped down to the waist (at least until mile 20 when I just left the bloody thing on and put clothes over the top). The feeling of having to put a wet and cold wetsuit back on and then geting in the water was one of the hardest things to cope with. That and the fact that with each tumble turn you got a cold dose of water down your back means wearing one wasn't a cop out.
You guys who are thinking of doing this as a challenge and something 'different' should give it a shot, you won't regret it. It's every two years (so 2015) and the organiser has promised a 'twist' next time - God knows what this could be as I can't actually imagine it being any harder than it already is ha!
If you want to have a look at the event as seen from my support crew's perspective have a wee shufty at the link below. Please excuse the crying, it was really dusty at the Lido Surprised
hillwall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video. Well done. I completely forgot about using the hot tub at any stage. And only went in the 'warm' tent once but decided it was a bit too much moving around for me to walk over there and back. Basically I just got out of water, added loads of warm clothing and sat down for half an hour trying to move as little as possible.
aaronb1985

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fedor wrote:
It's every two years (so 2015) and the organiser has promised a 'twist' next time - God knows what this could be as I can't actually imagine it being any harder than it already is ha!

Gutted. Was hoping I'd be able to do next year as continuous quin training (enduroman deca/quin are even years now)
2010-ChesterMara3:50|FM13:59:59|DIUK33:29|BW13:43
2011-GinPitMaras8.47|FM13.10|Outlaw12.40|HOTH|BW13.50
2012-Crawley12-54mi|Duk40-7:45|Enduro100-26.49|Outlaw12:57|TR24
2013-Gin Pit Maras|Lightning12Hr|FM|Outlaw|Steelman|ROF131Mi
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hillwall wrote:
I finished as well although there were plenty of dropouts by the morning. Was very cold overnight and spend about 10 hours feeling very sick meaning I couldn't swim quite as well as I'd hoped. Fastest mile was mile 6! where I for some reason did a 23:50 mile - my fastest ever I think. Slowest was mile 22 at 27:55 before I finally perked up for the last couple.

So hard to get warm in the night with the debate between removing wetsuit and the time it takes to do this/uncomfortable dread of putting it back on again.

Legs didn't feel tired after the run but had a very bad nights sleep in between the two. Was desperately trying to stay awake for the A2A race brief but needed a couple of hours kip afterwards.

My biggest pains are a very sore left wrist and territble sunburn I picked up on the run. Now off for beer to recover.
feckin ace work m8ey, huge respect. May g0d give you favourable tides and a record A2A time Cool
87IM+10DIM+D+2Q+2T=123IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: