Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training for fun?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Training for fun? Reply with quote

Am I the only one who likes to train for training's sake, rather than for the purpose of entering races?

I don't know if it's the cost of the events or the fact that training specifically for them is too much like having another job but I'm starting to realise that all this training malarkey is losing its fun factor.

So I'm standing up to be counted:

1 - I hate swimming for exercise and particularly hate doing boring lengths. I want to swim to have fun, play water polo, splash around, go snorkelling. NOT to go up and down a depressing pool for an hour!

2 - I hate time trials. See above - they're as boring as hell. I want to cycle with a group of friends, looking further than their back wheel, enjoy the countryside without having to worry about HRs....

3 - Running. I like running now - never used to. But I'd like to run without these run-freaks who take it waaaaaaaaay too seriously. It's only running - it's not ballet!

4 - Nutrition. Enough of all this carb calculus, GIs, fat ratio, refuelling techniques, etc...It's doing my head in! What's wrong with just plain, fresh food? So what if I don't meet my 25% quota of fat?

My name's Robert and I'm a funaholic....
AndyS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Robert.

I like training but I need races to bring a point to it. I've trained before and without an aim it gets boring because I wasn't working towards anything. I cycled. Then cycled a bit more. Than cycled a bit faster. But there was no point and without focus it's easy to give one a miss for some reason then it all goes and you become a fat beer drinking chip eating lard ar$e.

I love the scenery (and it's the same scenery as yours, probably) but doing the same ride three times a week gets dull. To ride out to a new part of the world takes ages and is impractical to do too often. But I like the solitude and time to think to myself.

I was getting bored with swimming on my own (used to swim on a Tuesday afternoon) but masters swim club is good fun. Not knowing what the set is until after you've warmed is good too. If I knew in advance that it involved butterfly I wouldn't go! They're good people and now I've been a few times people are much more friendly and up for a laugh. Several are triathletes so it's good to chat about tri while I'm there (gasping for air!).

To sum up, I like training for training sake but need races to keep me going.

My name is Andrew, I'm.. errr.. dunno. Rolling Eyes
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, thats a brave thing to stick your head above the parapet and say on a tri forum Very Happy

But what you say has to be true - this sport of ours has GOT to be fun otherwise what's the point? The hours of training can't be just for the races, it's got to be enjoyable in its own right otherwise I'd never do it. It's for the fun of a bikeride with a group of mates, or the solitude of a run in the hills on your own, the buzz of feeling that your swim stroke is coming together, and also the sheer high of race day itself.

The day it stops being fun is the day I give up tri.
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate and detest training.

The only reason I do it, is that I like racing, and the way being fit feels. Fitness has completely changed the way I look at, and interact with, the world.

BB
Delboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I train to race, there is no point in training to train!! you might as well be one of those ppl who go to the gym everyday just to say that they have trained today and think that they are super fit.

How do you know if your fitness is improving without doing races/test and improving your PB?
dr dre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My names Steve and I love training too, but I love racing as well. nothing beats the feeling of running into transition and grabbing your bike.

I am also really enjoying distance swim training in prep for the swimathon, and will be sad when its over - 3800mtrs just doesnt seem long any more. I think I may enter the 10k swimathon next year so I have an excuse for swimming long all year.

Therefore I race so I can train. Idea
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say, Dre. 1 hr 20 mins for the 3.8k! You're going to beast the swim of the ironman you do next year! Wink

BB
doug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to race (running), but got a bit bored, stoppped racing, but continued to run, then slowly, year by year, I went running less often, started putting on weight, the running became less fun, I ran less, put on more weight, and so on.

Last year I set myself a couple of target events (an off road mtb enduro and a local xc run), suddenly things seemed more fun (I had a target), the running (and cycling) seemed more fun than they had for years, the weight fell off.

I enjoy training, but need a target to "focus" my energies Very Happy
RuthE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre, Why dont you do a channe swim or something if you are enjoyig the swimming so much?
bulgar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever rocks your boat, I think.

I don't keep a log and don't feel any pressure to do X miles today. I find time to train around my other commitments, don't have a training schedule written down and don't take myself that seriously at all.

But it just wouldn't be the same without a race in my mind. Something to look forward to. I try to improve and get better at anything I do, without being painfully competitive of course, and just going for a run to keep fit and not thinking of improving would be very hard for me.

So, training for me is fun ....when there is a race at the end of it. Training just for fun... not just yet Wink
dr dre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuthE wrote:
Dre, Why dont you do a channe swim or something if you are enjoyig the swimming so much?

urrghh no thanks i get freaked out by deep water ( and heights , boats , rollercoasters , small monkeys etc )
simon(aka Scotboy)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last season I trained way to much and to be honest took it way to seriously, my life revolved around training and racing. Something had to give, I was on holiday in Barbados in mid june and all I could think of was how much training I was missing.... Exclamation Exclamation

When I got home the first thing I did was phone my training partner and tell him how much I'd missed my training and how the 3 week break had ruined my training and fitness, my wife over heard and a few tense words were exchanged.......she pointed out that we'd just had the holiday of a lifetime and all I could do was think about triathlon.............The moral of this story is I enjoy training and racing, but never again will I lose sight of what is really important in my life Very Happy
doug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon(aka Scotboy) wrote:
I was on holiday in Barbados in mid june and all I could think of was how much training I was missing.... Exclamation Exclamation

I guess I'm quite lucky my wife is my training partner Very Happy

Last year my 2 hols were mountain biking in Morocco and a tour of DC, Virginia and West Virginia (by car) where we managed to fit in 4 bike rides (one was a 1/2 century) and several hikes. This year we have 2 weeks road biking in Turkey in April and plan on an MTB and trekking trip to Peru in Sept.

So although my holidays are not often as intense as my training, we still try to keep active and in shape.
Mail Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bulgar, i don't have a training plan and just do whatever i feel like at the time and simply try to maintain a level of 4/5 sessions a week.
Living in the new forest i'm really lucky in that i have great surroundings to run and cycle in all year round, and a nearby sea for open water swimming - summer only - so my training is mainly for fun with races an added bonus.
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, there is a cure for your pain. There is a Barbados Marathon. You arrive a week beforehand, spend a week or two acclimatising and tapering (i.e. doing no excercise) and then spend the rest of the holiday recovering from the marathon (i.e. doing no excercise).

You have spent a relaxing holiday, not missing any training, and come back with a suntan and a chunky medal. Problem solved!

This is how I did the Sydney marathon. It works a treat!

BB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: