Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ultra / Trail Running - General Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Burgau, Portugal last week. Between Sun-Thurs, I ran 35kms on the gnarly coastal trails. Very beautiful, however, on Friday morning, I decided to do 'just one more run' of 7km, and just 400mtrs from the end took a big stumble and banged myself up a bit. Mostly broken skin but I've done something bad to my right calf and running is out of the question at the moment.

What an idiot Evil or Very Mad
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, into the final week countdown now to my 2nd 100 miler this year. The more i say that, the more ridiculous i realise it is! In a 4 month span as well! Twisted Evil

Having gone from completely unprepared, fat, lazy and out of shape after a week's holiday, 2.5 weeks of solid trainig later with a wide variety of sessions - longest was one 6hr race pace effort on the big hills, supplemented by a number of intense, shorter workouts on the hills and the track - that probably aren't typically on the 100 mile menu!

That said, it seems to have kick started things in my body and i'm feeling fit(ter), fresh and most importantly highly motivated! I have no idea how the body will cope over the course of the event but i'm super excited either way. Doing it in a group of 6 good mates makes it even more fun!

Saw the physio yesterday as my injury i picked up in the Arc hasn't really gone (though weirdly no pain when i run), and hopefully that will help mitigate some of the pain that is inevitably coming!

'A' target is going to be 24 hrs. That'll be tough with 4/4,500m of elevation, but the trails are bone dry and there'll only be about 6hrs of darkness this time (as opposed to over 13 in the Arc!). Weather is looking alright at the moment as well, not too hot. Though it is hard to get a forecast for a point to point 100 miler!! haha

Getting into that nervous/impatient/distracted last 7 days now. My wife hates it, as she knows my mind is elsewhere! luckily i've got two days next week just me and my toddler, so she'll keep me distracted with a couple of adventures!

Anyone else got anything coming up?

Last edited by gingerbongo on Fri May 25, 2018 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck GB Cool

Nothing trail wise on the horizon for me but I did notice there is a 8mile trail race in Hungerford on July 1st.

Just got to get through Marlow HIM first!
doug

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great race gingerbongo

I'm about to head to Glasgow for something a wee bit shorter - the 95mile West Highland Way Challenge Race starting at midnight Eye Popping

I'll report back what this alternative to the longstanding WHW race is like.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
Have a great race gingerbongo

I'm about to head to Glasgow for something a wee bit shorter - the 95mile West Highland Way Challenge Race starting at midnight Eye Popping

I'll report back what this alternative to the longstanding WHW race is like.

Nice, that one looks good. Is it just a different provider then, or a direct rival?
doug

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

Nice, that one looks good. Is it just a different provider then, or a direct rival?

It was set up by someone who disagreed with the management of the other race. Smaller scale but has the advantage of no ballot and no race crew needed

Now on the Milngavie train.

Weather looks warm and sunny Sun Sun Sun
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck GB, hope you'll be posting a tracking page?

The Hardmoors 160 started tonight, 160 miles round the NY Moors, I can't get my head round it! The shorter 110 starts tomorrow, a lad I know is doing it, was half expecting to see TC on the startlist but can't see him.

Jeff
JeffB

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I was wrong about TC in the Hardmoors and he's popped up on the tracker, currently doing well in second place around halfway through.

At this rate he might be finished around 6AM!

http://live.opentracking.co.uk/hm1602018/

Still can't get my head round being out on the moors in the middle of the night, sadly there isn't likely to be much moonlight tonight to help.

On the section he's just heading to there's been adder sightings recently and an Eagle Owl that has been attacking people! But if it sees those jeans Laughing

Jeff
FatPom

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope TC is going well. Big storm forecast for tonight,,,eek!
JeffB

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

Not sure there's any storms forecast round here? Although the mist is starting to come down on the tops, it's not that high in reality, only peaks out around 300M I think but can easily get visibility down to next to nothing if you don't know route.

Jeff
ed_m

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe he is "known" to the organisers so they probably have a slot spare for him.... I crewed a friend round the 160 a couple of years ago.. it was pretty epic.. and hard work crewing.
He seemed to have expected moorland not to be too hilly.... oh dear.
FatPom

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Not sure there's any storms forecast round here? Although the mist is starting to come down on the tops, it's not that high in reality, only peaks out around 300M I think but can easily get visibility down to next to nothing if you don't know route.

Jeff

Good to hear. I'm in Hampshire, apparently the French are throwing something nasty our way overnight Exclamation
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
I believe he is "known" to the organisers so they probably have a slot spare for him.... I crewed a friend round the 160 a couple of years ago.. it was pretty epic.. and hard work crewing.

Ha, yes probably known to most organisers! He came third overall so a good performance.

I can't imagine it's very easy for the crews having to get round everywhere and access to some of those places isn't brilliant.

Yes, it might be moorland and not particularly high but it is rolling and rarely flat, I did some tail walking a couple of years ago and walked with some poor Danish bloke, he was also surprised how hard it was, turns out Denmark is pretty much flat with a high point of barely 200M, I've never actually seen someone be happy about being timed out of a race when he found out he got a lift back!

Jeff
ed_m

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one we know in GUCR this year ?
curry

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
ed_m wrote:

Ha, yes probably known to most organisers! He came third overall so a good performance.

I can't imagine it's very easy for the crews having to get round everywhere and access to some of those places isn't brilliant.

Yes, it might be moorland and not particularly high but it is rolling and rarely flat, I did some tail walking a couple of years ago and walked with some poor Danish bloke, he was also surprised how hard it was, turns out Denmark is pretty much flat with a high point of barely 200M, I've never actually seen someone be happy about being timed out of a race when he found out he got a lift back!

Jeff

Don't believ TC had crew. As far as I can tell Paul was following the tracker and calling on his mobile to inform him when he was off course, which was not infrequent (aka should have come 2nd). I suppose you could call that crewing TC style.

2016: Enduroman Continuous Triple DNF (61:30 after 2x maras); JOGLE in 12 days

2017: The Oner (DNF); Deca UK ironman (10x1) DNS

2018: IM Lanzarote (DNS)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149  Next
Page 146 of 149

Jump to: