Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ultra / Trail Running - General Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Toyota_Crown




Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 15866
Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Ultra / Trail Running - General Thread Reply with quote

OK, there's too many events and only of niche interest. Put all your smaller events and tips in this thread?

Big events like Ring of Fire etc, simply create a dedicated thread.

I'm a fan of the www.runfurther.com UK Ultra Champs series, and have done the Howarth Hobble and Calderdale Hike so far. Gutted to miss my first ever HardMoors55 due to a cold, as it was stunningly frozen n snowy.

And all the http://Hardmoors110.org.uk/cms/ events in the fab and off most peoples radar North York Moors.

Big tip is the LDWA Challenge events, typically around 24 miles tho doh! for you marathon collectors. Lots of great runners turn out competitively for these events, and cheap as chips and you get fed at the finish!
http://www.ldwa.org.uk/challenge_events/events_list.php?list_type=L&event_type=N

Here's a new one, 50 or 100km in Lakes, looks like it will fill fast tho, but at a busy time of year for other long dist events and IM etc.
http://www.ultimatetrails.com/
_________________
EnduroManChamp:Euro2010-12,Deca12, Quin11,D10
HH1x2 HM30 1&3 SRock1 BelC2 GP2 VLM2h58 FellsM
Ard2 D2 FMan-11 TT2 Out16 10.15 CDS5 Ang3 IMUK-11 Jx1 Ult6 BW3 Stap1 Hel23 IMW11 Hx6 BxD1 Wx9 RR8
87IM+10DIM+D+2Q+2T=123IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
hillwall




Joined: 10 Aug 2010
Posts: 1720
Location: Norwich

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking. How many of these LDWA Challenge events are there near you? I searched for everything within 50 miles of me up until the end of the year and there are only 3 events. Are there lots more elsewhere?

In total I reckon on a yearly basis there are probably less than 10 marathons/ultras within 50 miles of me. How far do you travel each week to yours?

Top Tips?
Mine are -
Vaseline feet completely
Run wearing a cycling top and put stuff in the back pockets
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toyota_Crown




Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 15866
Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hillwall wrote:
Top Tips?
Mine are -
Vaseline feet completely
Run wearing a cycling top and put stuff in the back pockets if they're decent deep ones AND use a number belt as a top tightener to help stop stuff bouncing out
+1 but improved
3. On longer stuff, Fast Power Walk the hills or overly technical bits and refuel and recover
4. Remove your brain when descending
5. You can often get away with grippy road shoes if its reasonably dry or firm going. You may need to pick your line better and run risk of twisting your ankle etc more.

There's shed loads of LDWA oop north n midlands, and even round Macalads way in the Forbidden Zone of Beds. You should move Wink
Tho yep, I'm stupid enough to travel a 100 miles FFS

So wots the best website if any that list an ultra and or trail calendar? RW can be hit or miss tbh, tho worth a start.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/

Ultra in specific:
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/foundevents.asp?v=2&evntTitle=&evntDate=a%3afut&distance=43-&county=&area=&distanceFromHome=&evntSurface=&evntGround=&evntWheelChairAccessible=
_________________
EnduroManChamp:Euro2010-12,Deca12, Quin11,D10
HH1x2 HM30 1&3 SRock1 BelC2 GP2 VLM2h58 FellsM
Ard2 D2 FMan-11 TT2 Out16 10.15 CDS5 Ang3 IMUK-11 Jx1 Ult6 BW3 Stap1 Hel23 IMW11 Hx6 BxD1 Wx9 RR8
87IM+10DIM+D+2Q+2T=123IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pkdo75




Joined: 22 Jan 2010
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://beyondmarathon.com/12-labours-of-hercules/

Gonna give this a go as part of my step up to the magical 100 miler. Reasonably priced and set in one of my favourite parts of the Peak District.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sportsunday




Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 371

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: ultra Reply with quote

The Fellsman this weekend....www.fellsman.org.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Paolo




Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 1251
Location: Huntingdon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.monsterracing.net/ultra2013.html

This sort of thing TC, my first ever ultra....!
_________________
2016: 7 marathons in 7 days Enigma running.....BRING IT ON.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NRGevents




Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 96
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about our scottish ultra marathon series 50 mile bad boy in the beautiful Loch Ness area?

http://www.nationalracegroup.com/Home/Event/13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Internal Cake Engine




Joined: 11 Jan 2010
Posts: 756

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/races/uk.html seems to list pretty much everything but their dates are often a little vague.
_________________
Where you have muscle, I have some cake.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toyota_Crown




Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 15866
Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ultra Reply with quote

sportsunday wrote:
The Fellsman this weekend....www.fellsman.org.uk
indeed Cool
now wot kind of fool would even think of doing that legendary beastie 6 days after a destructive sub 3 VLM Wink
_________________
EnduroManChamp:Euro2010-12,Deca12, Quin11,D10
HH1x2 HM30 1&3 SRock1 BelC2 GP2 VLM2h58 FellsM
Ard2 D2 FMan-11 TT2 Out16 10.15 CDS5 Ang3 IMUK-11 Jx1 Ult6 BW3 Stap1 Hel23 IMW11 Hx6 BxD1 Wx9 RR8
87IM+10DIM+D+2Q+2T=123IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
newarktricky




Joined: 11 May 2007
Posts: 5355
Location: Newark-on-Trent, Notts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultra / Trail Running - General Thread Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
OK, there's too many events and only of niche interest. Put all your smaller events and tips in this thread?

Big events like Ring of Fire etc, simply create a dedicated thread.

I'm a fan of the www.runfurther.com UK Ultra Champs series, and have done the Howarth Hobble and Calderdale Hike so far. Gutted to miss my first ever HardMoors55 due to a cold, as it was stunningly frozen n snowy.

And all the http://Hardmoors110.org.uk/cms/ events in the fab and off most peoples radar North York Moors.

Big tip is the LDWA Challenge events, typically around 24 miles tho doh! for you marathon collectors. Lots of great runners turn out competitively for these events, and cheap as chips and you get fed at the finish!
http://www.ldwa.org.uk/challenge_events/events_list.php?list_type=L&event_type=N

Here's a new one, 50 or 100km in Lakes, looks like it will fill fast tho, but at a busy time of year for other long dist events and IM etc.
http://www.ultimatetrails.com/


Shouldn't this thread be in Off Topic rather than Events? Wink

NT Wink Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toyota_Crown




Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 15866
Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. FFS.
_________________
EnduroManChamp:Euro2010-12,Deca12, Quin11,D10
HH1x2 HM30 1&3 SRock1 BelC2 GP2 VLM2h58 FellsM
Ard2 D2 FMan-11 TT2 Out16 10.15 CDS5 Ang3 IMUK-11 Jx1 Ult6 BW3 Stap1 Hel23 IMW11 Hx6 BxD1 Wx9 RR8
87IM+10DIM+D+2Q+2T=123IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Maca_Lad




Joined: 09 Aug 2005
Posts: 1991
Location: Beds/Herts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: ultra Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
sportsunday wrote:
The Fellsman this weekend....www.fellsman.org.uk
indeed Cool
now wot kind of fool would even think of doing that legendary beastie 6 days after a destructive sub 3 VLM Wink


Fellsman? Good luck with that. I reckon you are a faster runner off road than on tarmac (compared to most) so with your fab Tarmac form at VLM I reckon you'll have a storming Fellsman.

Just don't go the wrong way! Wink

I've got a 12hr track race down in Crawley on Saturday. Just think of the panoramic views I'll have! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaronb1985




Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 2655
Location: Trashing my body

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: ultra Reply with quote

Maca_Lad wrote:
Toyota_Crown wrote:
sportsunday wrote:
The Fellsman this weekend....www.fellsman.org.uk
indeed Cool
now wot kind of fool would even think of doing that legendary beastie 6 days after a destructive sub 3 VLM Wink


Fellsman? Good luck with that. I reckon you are a faster runner off road than on tarmac (compared to most) so with your fab Tarmac form at VLM I reckon you'll have a storming Fellsman.

Just don't go the wrong way! Wink

I've got a 12hr track race down in Crawley on Saturday. Just think of the panoramic views I'll have! Wink


Worst race I've ever done that! The weather last year was abysmal, score board got blown over, gazebos got blown away. 12 hours of running in wind and rain with nothing to see was tough!Nice people and well organised though.
6 hours in and my hip was shattered when you change direction
_________________
2010-ChesterMara3:50|FM13:59:59|DIUK33:29|BW13:43
2011-GinPitMaras8.47|FM13.10|Outlaw12.40|HOTH|BW13.50
2012-Crawley12-54mi|Duk40-7:45|Enduro100-26.49|Outlaw12:57|TR24
2013-Gin Pit Maras|Lightning12Hr|FM|Outlaw|Steelman|ROF131Mi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ed_m




Joined: 15 May 2003
Posts: 8040
Location: coventry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley is a nice track.... when the weather is ok.
_________________
Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement [C.S. Lewis]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
veggieboy




Joined: 13 Jul 2007
Posts: 6095
Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
Crawley is a nice track.... when the weather is ok.


But the town is a sh1thole no matter what the weather is like
_________________
I am the Completely Fearless Overlord

But I'm still not going to swim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134  Next
Page 1 of 134
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.