Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ultra / Trail Running - General Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jezf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are loads of achilles threads on here but i just want to know if it's possible to train through it given the mileage needed for ultras. Or should i just write off the next 6 months and let it heal? Any advice appreciated
tunster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jezf wrote:
I know there are loads of achilles threads on here but i just want to know if it's possible to train through it given the mileage needed for ultras. Or should i just write off the next 6 months and let it heal? Any advice appreciated

How bad you got it?
jezf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunster wrote:
jezf wrote:

How bad you got it?

Not that bad. pain not acute but tendon quite swollen. doing eccentric heel drops etc. seem to be mixed views on internet around running vs rest. Would rather just carry on but don't want to bugger it up permanently
tunster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jezf wrote:
tunster wrote:
jezf wrote:

How bad you got it?

Not that bad. pain not acute but tendon quite swollen. doing eccentric heel drops etc. seem to be mixed views on internet around running vs rest. Would rather just carry on but don't want to bugger it up permanently

I got it when I switched to lower drop shoes. Got some help from a physio and acupuncture which sorted out the initial problem combined with a couple of weeks with no running or cycling. Gentle ramp up combined with heel drops and other specific exercises.

Hope it improves soon.
jezf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunster wrote:
jezf wrote:
tunster wrote:
jezf wrote:

How bad you got it?

I got it when I switched to lower drop shoes. Got some help from a physio and acupuncture which sorted out the initial problem combined with a couple of weeks with no running or cycling. Gentle ramp up combined with heel drops and other specific exercises.

Hope it improves soon.

Yes i need to cut out forefoot strike i think. Heel drops are helping especially since adding some weight
smitters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhittleFit wrote:
veggieboy wrote:
WhittleFit wrote:
Has anyone on TT done the Ring O Fire?

Repoman, PSF (Grom)

Thank you! I'll search for some race reports! Smile

I did day one and 14 miles of day two. My advice would be, don't underestimate the steps up and down on day one...! Its a fantastic race, very pretty. We recced the second half of the second day as this was the bit we felt could be dark and it remains one of my best ever runs, despite an apparently endless f**king beach at one point. One day I shall go back, either solo or to race it. I have refused to put my freebie t-shirt on, and I'd like to wear it at some point!
Andy916

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curry wrote:
Andy916 wrote:
Doing my first ultra in a month, Belves 50k in the Dordogne (cheap to fly and a pal who's also running has a gite nearby). Have done a decade of mara and 5 years of IM but this'll be my first time running over 26 miles.

Hi Andy

Just remember that there's no shame in walking some of it. In fact its obligatory, especially the hills.

Enjoy.

Yup, I've tended towards hilly events in last few years and can feel when it's best to walk. This French event is mostly flat though, except the initial drop down from the hill-fort town then the climb back up right at the end.

Just over one week to go now and looking forward to it. Not been the best build-up, but had a really good penultimate long-run yesterday - did 22 miles in the day, very much in the zone, with good recovery today.

Slight quandry over shoes, as I've done everything in ultra-minimal for the last couple of years (whilst working on run form), up to marathon distance. Will almost certainly stick with the familiar, which is 155g Inov8 road x-lites with a 3mm drop. Would feel strange putting back on my old cushioned trainers, at twice the weight with 12mm drop. I'm a lightweight at 62kg (170cm), with overstride pretty much banished, 182+ cadence and 230ms approx gct.
curry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy916 wrote:
curry wrote:
Andy916 wrote:
Doing my first ultra in a month, Belves 50k in the Dordogne (cheap to fly and a pal who's also running has a gite nearby). Have done a decade of mara and 5 years of IM but this'll be my first time running over 26 miles.

Hi Andy

Just remember that there's no shame in walking some of it. In fact its obligatory, especially the hills.

Enjoy.

Yup, I've tended towards hilly events in last few years and can feel when it's best to walk. This French event is mostly flat though, except the initial drop down from the hill-fort town then the climb back up right at the end.

Just over one week to go now and looking forward to it. Not been the best build-up, but had a really good penultimate long-run yesterday - did 22 miles in the day, very much in the zone, with good recovery today.

Slight quandry over shoes, as I've done everything in ultra-minimal for the last couple of years (whilst working on run form), up to marathon distance. Will almost certainly stick with the familiar, which is 155g Inov8 road x-lites with a 3mm drop. Would feel strange putting back on my old cushioned trainers, at twice the weight with 12mm drop. I'm a lightweight at 62kg (170cm), with overstride pretty much banished, 182+ cadence and 230ms approx gct.

With a flatish course you will need to factor in walk breaks using a timing strategy. I usually run the first hour then start with 40 mins run 5 mins walk then later switch to shorter run times. Also get your fuelling right, I find it best to eat little and often

2016: Enduroman Continuous Triple DNF (61:30 after 2x maras); JOGLE in 12 days

2017: The Oner (DNF); Deca UK ironman (10x1)
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this popped in to my FB feed today....quite humbling really...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilHqrDDWMVk

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
p00key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

Wow - I'd love to have half of his fitness!
curry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

He made it look so effortless

2016: Enduroman Continuous Triple DNF (61:30 after 2x maras); JOGLE in 12 days

2017: The Oner (DNF); Deca UK ironman (10x1)
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curry wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

He made it look so effortless

and just think how quick it would have been without all the bloody tourists/walkers in the way !

But I'm still not going to swim
Andy916

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a grand day in 24C full sun today, 4:29 and 3rd M50, 18th overall out of 120ish.
Chuffed with that for my first time beyond marathon distance. Took 3 brief walk breaks on the final 1-mile climb but apart from that was steady all the way. Last 15k was mostly straight open road and deserted; that part felt tough.

curry wrote:
Andy916 wrote:
curry wrote:
Andy916 wrote:

Hi Andy

Enjoy.

With a flatish course you will need to factor in walk breaks using a timing strategy. I usually run the first hour then start with 40 mins run 5 mins walk then later switch to shorter run times. Also get your fuelling right, I find it best to eat little and often

explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p00key wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Wow - I'd love to have half of his fitness!

and half his skill...an awesome performance...

explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jezf wrote:
tunster wrote:
jezf wrote:
tunster wrote:
jezf wrote:

How bad you got it?

Hope it improves soon.

Yes i need to cut out forefoot strike i think. Heel drops are helping especially since adding some weight

often tension and or a specific weakness in the calf muscles is in at least part, the culprit...

if you switched to lower differential shoes and changed your foot strike without adapting other aspects of your biomx, you may be asking too much and your Achilles.

work out the cause and you will get somewhere to finding a resolution.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136  Next
Page 133 of 136

Jump to: