Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ultra / Trail Running - General Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143, 144  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
themoid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm doing UTMB this year, haven't gotten around to entering any other events yet before it.

Obvs I'll be doing some hill work in training, but can anyone recommend some nice hilly ultras to look at doing ? I have looked down race listings but it's always good to get recommendations.

Cheers
Stu
tunster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoid wrote:
Hi all, I'm doing UTMB this year, haven't gotten around to entering any other events yet before it.

Obvs I'll be doing some hill work in training, but can anyone recommend some nice hilly ultras to look at doing ? I have looked down race listings but it's always good to get recommendations.

Cheers
Stu

hill reps on the biggest hill you can find. Boring as hell but can't beat it for training.

Hill reps on Snowdon good as well - from Llanberis to the top 1000m or so. Plod the ups and hammer the downs to toughen up the quads. Jez Bragg did a lot of these - 3 on one day, overnight in B&B, followed by 2 reps the day after. Tough. Only thing I have come across in the UK that simulates some of the long climbs on UTMB course.
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunster wrote:
themoid wrote:

Cheers
Stu

hill reps on the biggest hill you can find. Boring as hell but can't beat it for training.

Hill reps on Snowdon good as well - from Llanberis to the top 1000m or so. Plod the ups and hammer the downs to toughen up the quads. Jez Bragg did a lot of these - 3 on one day, overnight in B&B, followed by 2 reps the day after. Tough. Only thing I have come across in the UK that simulates some of the long climbs on UTMB course.

Various ultra and fan dancie type organisers in the brecons, not too bad from MK.... or a few out & backs along the malverns is what I've been doing lately.
Also got in with a couple of Cambrian mountain events which are fairly low key but fairly brutal & remote terrain in mid wales...
There's dead sheep of course but maybe a bit soon Smile

Talking of which ...
Feeling a bit monstrous lately having just finished a 170km training week including one planned & one forced rest day... and the below jaunt in the snow on sunday.
First 20miles solo, second with a friend.. the east side was like the day after tomorrow and we turned back several times due to drifts up to mid thigh!
Bit nippy but all good fun Smile
https://www.strava.com/activities/1460452746

Location for Dead Sheep has been revealed and I'm neither too surprised nor too worried about it ... still a big ask within the cut off but that's kind of the idea.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurassic Coast 50km/100km/100m in early June. Nice and hilly.

That sounds like a beast of a week Ed!!!!

Mine started alright, have managed a few 40km weeks in a row now, so starting to feel slightly less lethargic. Work and snow stopped any running over the past 4 days though. No big issue, as my next race is only for a bit of fun anyway. Just would be nice to not ocmpletely die!
smitters

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too enjoyed the snow this weekend. 90km on the South Downs Way on Saturday, on a bike mind, but still not for the feint of heart or those who enjoy feeling in their toes - I'll let you know when it returns...

Backed it up with a 30km run on the Cotswold Way as recce for the Race to the Tower. Covered the first 15km of 85 as an out and back, and somehow managed to "enjoy" a quarter of the race's total climb. That's worth knowing - go out hard early and you will get nailed by the rolling hills.

I'm now eating all of the food.
themoid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas chaps, really useful. Def plan to do a few ups and downs of Snowdon, and the Jurassic coast races look good. Smile
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooookay.... final weekend done... a little jaunt in mid wales
(https://www.strava.com/activities/1482305879) .. more snow naturally.

And a bit of a sneaky recce of the top secret race venue for Dead Sheep 100.

Will be kicking off from 8pm this Friday.
- 5 x 20mile loops with +++ of climbing.
- Route revealed 10mins before individual start times.
- 30hr cut off.
- No phone, no gps. Map & Compass only.
- A hammer is on the mandatory kit list.
Borderline unfinishable.[/url]
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:

- 30hr cut off.

I'm super intrigued by this Ed ... it seems very eclectic! Does it state the size of your required hammer?! Very Happy Judging by most of your runs lately, you'd be better off with an axe!

Which leads me seamlessly into my next race Exe to Axe on Sunday. I have barely been able to get out over the past fortnight due to family and work stuff. My last attempted session failed within 2km with super tight calves and painful shins. Luckily (in a way) i have had this a number of times before, and know that it is just down to severe tightness. So i'm booked in for a sports massage today, and that should fix things. Might try 5km tempo on thursday to loosen things up again before the race on Sunday.

Hoping that the weather is going to be kind. Was helping out at the Devon Coast to Coast challeneg on the weekend and that was pretty epic. They ended up having to pull people off of Exmoor on the second night due to awful weather conditions. The ground conditions were just atrocious throughout, but the first finisher still managed to do it in just over 26hrs!!

That's 117 miles of boggy, muddy crap! We think it is the new FKT for the official Two Moors Way trail and the full Coast to Coast trail. Impressive stuff!!
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

I'm super intrigued by this Ed ... it seems very eclectic! Does it state the size of your required hammer?! Very Happy Judging by most of your runs lately, you'd be better off with an axe!

Yes 4oz or 8oz.. 8oz preferred.
And yes... I've been training with mine Very Happy
doug

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hammer Confused

Have a good one ed - it sounds Bark(ley)ing mad Very Happy
sb20

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoid wrote:

Cheers
Stu

You will love it.

There is nothing like training on the course - this may prove more valuable than entering an ultra. I can recommend flying to Geneva on the first flight in the morning, get an Alpy bus to Les Houches and then run to Crois d'bonhomme refuge. Get a move on and you will be there for food at 7pm. Then up first thing and crack on to Refugio Bonnati for 7pm dinner again. Then up first thing and on to Trient, you got it, for the 7pm meal and finally up and finish in Cham. Alpy bus back to geneva and fly home. In 3 1/2 days you will have done the route, all in day light. You will then go home S!!t your self and spend the next month running up and down hills. and i mean down hills. It is the down that kills. Also you can stop for photos on the way round meaning you wont need to in th event.

The UTMB is awesome.

Also get used to using poles.

PM me for more info if you like
First Tri an evening sprint in 2008 done a few since then inc 2x Roth, IM Wales, 2x Celtman, Alps d'Huez Long, O till O, Ceasers Camp 100 x2, Norseman, Ring O Fire, St Oswalds 100, Cambrian trail, 2 Race to the King, UTMB and so it goes on!
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:

- 30hr cut off.

Good luck ed, sounds crazy!
tunster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb20 wrote:
themoid wrote:

Cheers
Stu

You will love it.

There is nothing like training on the course - this may prove more valuable than entering an ultra. I can recommend flying to Geneva on the first flight in the morning, get an Alpy bus to Les Houches and then run to Crois d'bonhomme refuge. Get a move on and you will be there for food at 7pm. Then up first thing and crack on to Refugio Bonnati for 7pm dinner again. Then up first thing and on to Trient, you got it, for the 7pm meal and finally up and finish in Cham. Alpy bus back to geneva and fly home. In 3 1/2 days you will have done the route, all in day light. You will then go home S!!t your self and spend the next month running up and down hills. and i mean down hills. It is the down that kills. Also you can stop for photos on the way round meaning you wont need to in th event.

The UTMB is awesome.

Also get used to using poles.

PM me for more info if you like

End of June at earliest for a course recce in my experience - too soon and there will be a lot of snow high up - especially this year with a lot of snow this winter
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/video-the-year-the-barkley-won?utm_content=buffer1f216&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

25 min video of this years Barkley Marathons taken by a runner on his race.
sb20

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunster wrote:

End of June at earliest for a course recce in my experience - too soon and there will be a lot of snow high up - especially this year with a lot of snow this winter

For sure! I went round fist weekend of July and had snow above about 2,000m. Made it very pretty.
First Tri an evening sprint in 2008 done a few since then inc 2x Roth, IM Wales, 2x Celtman, Alps d'Huez Long, O till O, Ceasers Camp 100 x2, Norseman, Ring O Fire, St Oswalds 100, Cambrian trail, 2 Race to the King, UTMB and so it goes on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143, 144  Next
Page 142 of 144

Jump to: