Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ultra / Trail Running - General Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 153, 154, 155  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldenboots

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two days running across the Hadrian's Wall path with a couple of mates over the weekend - 46 miles and then 42 miles. Considering I didn't really train other than some low mileage autumn mara training, and have never ran over 30 miles before... I was quite happy to finish in one piece.

Very different "running" at that pace for hours on end. Not sure I could do anything like that if there was a number pinned on me though.
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has run or mtb'd The Clarendon Way? Looks to be 24miles Winchester to Salisbury. Is it all off road?
tunster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Have to say, I'm getting more and more drawn to these type of events, they look pretty chilled. been watching a lot of Ginger Runner and Film My Run , with the latter, I had no idea there are so many trail runs in the south of Eng.

I like the idea of Race to the Stones or something next year. Then again I also like the sound of the 24hr Mountain Mayhem MTB event, and all the dates seem to clash Sad

I'm not a vegan hippy, so not sure how successful I can be at trail running Wink

Race to the Stones is a very popular event and can be very congested at the start - done it twice and good fun. You can also run the full Ridgeway on the Ridgeway Challenge - full 86 miles on the August Bank Holiday weekend - excellent event for a fraction of the price. Good Facebook page for Ridgeway Challenge if you want to take a peek.
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunster wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Have to say, I'm getting more and more drawn to these type of events, they look pretty chilled. been watching a lot of Ginger Runner and Film My Run , with the latter, I had no idea there are so many trail runs in the south of Eng.

I like the idea of Race to the Stones or something next year. Then again I also like the sound of the 24hr Mountain Mayhem MTB event, and all the dates seem to clash Sad

I'm not a vegan hippy, so not sure how successful I can be at trail running Wink

Race to the Stones is a very popular event and can be very congested at the start - done it twice and good fun. You can also run the full Ridgeway on the Ridgeway Challenge - full 86 miles on the August Bank Holiday weekend - excellent event for a fraction of the price. Good Facebook page for Ridgeway Challenge if you want to take a peek.

Cheers mate, good info. I'm figuring patience at the start of RttS would be key, as it's a long day and a lot will be doing the split thing. I like the idea of the lower key stuff in the future but I've never gone past 42.2km before, so the all singing, dancing 'catered day out' approach appeals for my first bash at it Very Happy

Plus those UTMB points are a bit of a lure Wink
Norsemandave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has run or mtb'd The Clarendon Way? Looks to be 24miles Winchester to Salisbury. Is it all off road?

Yep ran it in both directions as an organised marathon normally in early October. 95% off road and easy to follow route. Last time i ran it a few years ago they ran out of water at one of the later CP's but as I was running with a hydration pack not a problem but was for some as it was a hot day.

Nothing too challenging but an enjoyable race.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norsemandave wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Yep ran it in both directions as an organised marathon normally in early October. 95% off road and easy to follow route. Last time i ran it a few years ago they ran out of water at one of the later CP's but as I was running with a hydration pack not a problem but was for some as it was a hot day.

Nothing too challenging but an enjoyable race.

Cheers mate Cool
tunster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
tunster wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Cheers mate, good info. I'm figuring patience at the start of RttS would be key, as it's a long day and a lot will be doing the split thing. I like the idea of the lower key stuff in the future but I've never gone past 42.2km before, so the all singing, dancing 'catered day out' approach appeals for my first bash at it Very Happy

Patience the key at the start of any ultra - RTTS forces it on you due to the congestion but no bad thing as long as you don't join the occasional nutter wanting to barge past to save some seconds at the start of 100km - there are always some!

It was my first ultra and a great route through southern England - was surprised how little civilisation you see along the route. Going to walk the route of the full Ridgeway with the Mrs and the dog over an extended Easter Bank holiday weekend - can't wait

Aid stations best of any ultra that I have done - don't forget - don't linger too long!!! Grab and go, beware the chair Very Happy
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunster wrote:
FatPom wrote:
tunster wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Patience the key at the start of any ultra - RTTS forces it on you due to the congestion but no bad thing as long as you don't join the occasional nutter wanting to barge past to save some seconds at the start of 100km - there are always some!

It was my first ultra and a great route through southern England - was surprised how little civilisation you see along the route. Going to walk the route of the full Ridgeway with the Mrs and the dog over an extended Easter Bank holiday weekend - can't wait

Aid stations best of any ultra that I have done - don't forget - don't linger too long!!! Grab and go, beware the chair Very Happy

Sounds like great advice mate. these two agree with you! I've watched this a few times, it's pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKG4F4My7qU&t=9s
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultras are the way forward FP!

I've been dabbling over the last few years, partly as my group of friends have angled that way, partly as one of my friends has been putting on said events and partly because with a young family it is MUCH easier (and cheaper, so much cheaper) to train and race than tris!!

When you start going long, as long as you have a decent base (which you will have form your history in tri, IM Wales last year etc) then it's just about management. Pace management, food management, water management, pain management and spirit management in my opinion (unless you're right at the pointy end).

It's like riding in zone 2, it feels ridiculously easy for hours, until it's simply the time on bum (or feet) that starts to grind you down; assuming you have fuelled properly. Manage that fuel and the ever increasing pain (or discomfort) and frame yourself mental state appropriately and you'll do well. Break the race into manageable bitesize chunks and tick them off as you go. All the while enjoying the scenery, chatting away and eating. What a winner!!

Unashamed plug here, but look up the Climb South West ultras, all based in Devon, for some cracking options in some of the most scenic areas of the country.

I'm actually planning on my return to the race fold next year. Looking at the Ham-Lyme 50k ultra by Albion Running. A nice, low key, local-ish event that my team/friends and i are going to make a bit of an event. They do a 100k as well, but it's just an out and back. Haven't tried to race a 50 before, so would be interesting to see how quick i can go. One of my friends is a previous winner, and he's keen to get his course record back.

First things first though, i need to get my knee fixed an get actual running!!!

Last edited by gingerbongo on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerbongo, that is great info mate, much appreciated.

I must admit, my ego will struggle with watching my (modest) FTP go down the pan but I'm hoping to keep 3-4hrs of cycling in there somewhere. Still wondering about endurance mtb.

Basocally I know I want to do something different, just not sure how the mix will shake out. I love my TTing still.
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardmoors had a new 80 miler last weekend, Hardwolds 80 on Wolds Way E.Yorks. Bloomin marvellous. Cool

Dunno if there are any more 80s out there other than The Oner but maybe I'm first person to do both? Both are top events.
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just entered 'The General' trail race at Matterley nr Winchester. Did it earlier this year, it's a 20.5km ball buster. Great early hit out Cool
tunster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another year (3 now) of disappointment in the Western States lottery draw Sad
doug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion Autumn 100 entered, first time attempting two 100s in a year, the other is the SDW100.

Next up though is the Pilgrim Challenge 66miles over 2 days in Feb (again, done it twice, it makes for good training for longer races later).

Also planning on the Amersham 50k in March (coz it is local) and the Devils Challenge (99miles over 3 days) as a SDW recce.
p00key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
Centurion Autumn 100 entered, first time attempting two 100s in a year, the other is the SDW100.

Next up though is the Pilgrim Challenge 66miles over 2 days in Feb (again, done it twice, it makes for good training for longer races later).

Also planning on the Amersham 50k in March (coz it is local) and the Devils Challenge (99miles over 3 days) as a SDW recce.

I'm doing the Grand Slam next year , so see you on the start line Doug Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 153, 154, 155  Next
Page 150 of 155

Jump to: