Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ultra / Trail Running - General Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went for a 27km run this morning, plan was to hold 5.30kms and managed 5.27s, happy.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice going FP. Good to start getting the sessions under the belt!

I've been struggling a little with mojo since Xmas. Combination of no major events, very busy in work, house extension underway and two young children is making any sort of consitency very difficult! The difference this time (compared to similar periods of mojo loss) i think is my maturity. In that i mean i'm not letting it stress me out or get frustrated by it. I'm getting out when i can, i know that i currently need to lean on others more than normal i.e. booking runs with friends to ensure i get out as i found myself binning solo runs. Normally i'm happy to do 90% of my training solo.

Then, seeing a few of my friends running the Arc of Attrition on Friday/Saturday got all my competitive juices firing again!! I was (surprisingly) massively gutted to not be with them again this year, and whilst i loved dot watchign the whole thing it did really make me jealous!

So i am going to focus on quality for the next few weeks. It's going to be a while until things settle down at home and in work, so i know i can't get out 5/6 times a week. So concentrate on at least 3 runs, ensuring that one is a solid hill session. I'll try to get hills in at every opportunity, as my legs are lacking in their old strength uphill!!

We'll see how it goes! Feb already!!!!!
smitters

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I'm not the only one suffering from mojo loss!

Got a marathon in 8 weeks and I'm woefully under-trained due to shin splints and flu, though at least ill and injured at the same time prevents running too early and aggravating the shins! Silver linings and all that.

I'm hopeful of an interesting year though - a 24 hour event in Pembrey in May, a tilt at the Cotswold Way in September and then a 24 hour track race in November. The May 24 hour is more a night test than a full effort, so I'll have an easy Saturday, run through the night and then do what I fancy after dawn.

I still need to check what the UTMB points are going to be set at for 2020. I'll be 40, so I'm torn between Cham and having a go at Comrades.
awildt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comrades is a down run in 2020... just saying... Wink
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smitters wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one suffering from mojo loss!

Got a marathon in 8 weeks and I'm woefully under-trained due to shin splints and flu, though at least ill and injured at the same time prevents running too early and aggravating the shins! Silver linings and all that.

I'm hopeful of an interesting year though - a 24 hour event in Pembrey in May, a tilt at the Cotswold Way in September and then a 24 hour track race in November. The May 24 hour is more a night test than a full effort, so I'll have an easy Saturday, run through the night and then do what I fancy after dawn.

I still need to check what the UTMB points are going to be set at for 2020. I'll be 40, so I'm torn between Cham and having a go at Comrades.

Good luck for the marathon mate. I've had a bit of a quad issue which has been annoying. I have the Bramley 20 miler this Sunday. Hoping for a sub 3 but we'll see.

Ginger Bongo, I'm sure things will come good for you, it's just that time of year.

Do any of you guys watch the 'Film my Run' channel?
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 50 is in 4 weeks, I'm generally looking forward to it, despite only reaching 20 miles so far. I always knew it was going to be hard work but I've been enjoying getting out on the hills for some running including a night run with a few people from the club on Monday.

I've been struggling to motivate myself to do much cycling though and the weather hasn't helped.

Jeff
tunster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First 20 miler of the year today. I have got a lot of catching up to do Sad
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunster wrote:
First 20 miler of the year today. I have got a lot of catching up to do Sad

Mine too. (road). Did the Bramley 20 miler was targeting sub 3 and scraped in a 2:55:30

Last edited by FatPom on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year's first 20 miler yesterday for me, Bob Graham leg 1 recce, fun day out!
smitters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers FP.

Did 12 miles of run walking on Saturday morning and then races 9km xc on Sunday and don't feel too bad for it, aside from normal DOMS, so I think I'm past the worst of the lurgy, injury and general malaise. The fact I got out of the door at 4.45 on Saturday morning showed me I'm more motivated. I'll be repeating that start a few times and adding more running to improve the distance for the same two to two and a half hours on my feet.

That should see me OK into the marathon and onwards to Pembrey 24. I'll also be spectating the last day of the Dragon's Back race, partly to see what it's about, party to ask Shane about sensible levels of experience and partly to fanboi over Sally McRae. Kill me now, but I'm considering getting a Nike t-shirt specifically for her to sign.

Before you judge me though, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHoXgYPvj6o&t=2s

Yep - I'm still a divvy.

ETA - I have seen the Film My Run CCC vid, which I was using as motivation/info gathering. He seems a nice enough chap - more normal than the pro-style stuff from the US like Billy Yang, GingerRunner or Run Steep Get High, but that also makes it irritating at times because the bar's been set really high.
tunster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smitters wrote:

ETA - I have seen the Film My Run CCC vid, which I was using as motivation/info gathering. He seems a nice enough chap - more normal than the pro-style stuff from the US like Billy Yang, GingerRunner or Run Steep Get High, but that also makes it irritating at times because the bar's been set really high.

Saw his video on the South Downs Way 100 which was really useful before running it for the first time last year - also met him while doing the event - nice fella
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice going Smitters. Sally McRae he? That's trail royalty!

Re Film My Run, I like his stuff, mostly. He's a bit self promotional and I get the impression he's dragging his family around like some kind of triathlete tragic, they always look like they'd rather be somewhere else.

On the whole though, he gives great insight into what a course is really like and he's pretty quick, so you know when he's struggling, it must be hard.

I like most of the US stuff, Billy Yang is a master at creating atmosphere, Ethan Newbury is great at reviews and I like the Monday night interviews but he talks so damned fast! I quite like Run Steep Get High but his content either hits the mark with me or misses it completely.

Back to the UK and I also watch Clare Maxted on Wild Ginger Running, she puts in a lot of hard yards on her channel and deserves more subs IMO.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've just set out my stall for my season ... well i say season, i mean my one big race of the year! haha

Just booked on to The Exodus. A nice 100 mile winter ultra that runs the length of the Beacons Way. Looks pretty epic, and being at the start of December, who knows what weather may be waiting!! I do love a toughy! There's a mini crew of us from my newly formed running club heading out, so should be a good laugh regardless.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Well i've just set out my stall for my season ... well i say season, i mean my one big race of the year! haha

Just booked on to The Exodus. A nice 100 mile winter ultra that runs the length of the Beacons Way. Looks pretty epic, and being at the start of December, who knows what weather may be waiting!! I do love a toughy! There's a mini crew of us from my newly formed running club heading out, so should be a good laugh regardless.

That's hardcore mate. I'm going for the namby pamby fully catered summer offerings. Very Happy
tunster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:

That's hardcore mate. I'm going for the namby pamby fully catered summer offerings. Very Happy

+1 - if there is no race buffet count me out 😀
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 153 of 157

Jump to: