Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ultra / Trail Running - General Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156, 157  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wells

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff

Tried a local independent which had a promising selection of shoes but only one in my size which was a poor fit for my hobbits feet. Advice was limited.

had some inov8 roadclaws previously which worked ok so may risk giving some of their line up a go.
tunster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Jebb - Hardmoors is a great race -did it the year before last and the weather was pretty grim as well (but not as bad as last year I think when they had the snow).

Know what you mean about those tricky last few miles.
tunster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wells wrote:
After some footwear advice from those with experience - all replies appreciated.

Making the transition to the trails this year in the Hampshire/Dorset area and entered for a trail marathon (Clarendon Way) in October. Mixture of muddy paths, packed trails and occasionally a mile or so on the road from home before reaching the trails. Really enjoying the variety but after 25km of sliding in the mud on Sunday fancied getting some trainers more specific for the task.

Feet on the smaller side so shops tend to have limited selection in my size so tend to end up ordering online and sending back. High arch and wide forefoot. Always tended to be happy with Asics Nimbus for the road.

Done some reading and left a little confused by all the marketing and lack of good online reviews (that I can find). 8mm lugs seem bit extreme for my requirements. Would 4mm not give me enough traction on muddy paths?

Thanks for your time.

only ever run in Salomon off road
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wells wrote:
After some footwear advice from those with experience - all replies appreciated.

Making the transition to the trails this year in the Hampshire/Dorset area and entered for a trail marathon (Clarendon Way) in October. Mixture of muddy paths, packed trails and occasionally a mile or so on the road from home before reaching the trails. Really enjoying the variety but after 25km of sliding in the mud on Sunday fancied getting some trainers more specific for the task.

Feet on the smaller side so shops tend to have limited selection in my size so tend to end up ordering online and sending back. High arch and wide forefoot. Always tended to be happy with Asics Nimbus for the road.

Done some reading and left a little confused by all the marketing and lack of good online reviews (that I can find). 8mm lugs seem bit extreme for my requirements. Would 4mm not give me enough traction on muddy paths?

Thanks for your time.

I'm about to replace my trail shoes and going through a similar thought process. I've been in Hoka Speedgoat IIs for two seasons, no real complaints as long as I use the SweetFeet insoles (which I do for all Hokas).

If you are ever close to Frome in Somerset, there is a great little shop called 'Deka Wear' in town. They stock a lot of trail brands and trail stuff (as well as road). I go there a whenever I'm visiting my Mum's house.
Wells

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

@Fatpom how do you find the Hokas?

The oversized cushioned soles always look intriguing?
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wells wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

@Fatpom how do you find the Hokas?

The oversized cushioned soles always look intriguing?

Road wise, I've had some that have worked and some not. Currently use Clifton 4s for long training and IM type stuff. (use Saucony ISO for fast road runs)

As far as the Speedgoats go, I really like them. I've had Walsh trail shoes before which i found grippy but harsh. I like the SG II a lot, apparently the original version was rubbish.
The only time I've found them wanting was on an extremely muddy trail run, ankle deep type of stuff and anything off camber would see them slipping sideways. It would be hard to imagine any shoe that would have coped though.

The other thing I like is they are a good mix between being good for trails but more than adequate for a road run, which means if you have a mix of terrains like I do, they cope very well.

Get the sizing right though, as my first pair were a little large and my toes would slide a bit on the descents, causing some very black nails!

Personally, I can't use any Hokas without the SweetFeet insoles though, as the arch on Hokas seems very high.
Wells

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fatpom.

High arch sounds good from my side.

Seem to remember from a relocation thread few years back that we may live in a similar part of the world so would want a shoe that can manage a bit of road to get me to the trails.
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wells wrote:
Thanks Fatpom.

High arch sounds good from my side.

Seem to remember from a relocation thread few years back that we may live in a similar part of the world so would want a shoe that can manage a bit of road to get me to the trails.

No worries mate. When I say high arch, what I mean is that the high arch means a high seam, which for me = blisters Crying or Very sad

I was right in Winchester city but just bought a house in Kings Worthy. Cool

BTW, the 20km trail race 'The General' is on Apr 6th. I did it last year, it's a good event in Mattersley Bowl
Wells

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensible move. One we've looked at. Better than Southampton Wink

Will have a look at the General. Wife is in exam mode currently so have held off events till they are over.
tunster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not strictly ultra territory great weekend of running at the Gin Pit Marathons - good to see KL, Repo and Grom working hard this weekend. If nothing else a good reminder that I used to be a lot fitter than I am now Shocked
Poet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw repo and groms efforts on Strava.
Looks like a good course.
Back-to-back marathons is probably ultra-territory!
smitters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Jeff. Ultras can often be simply managing one problem after the other while running. It's a mentally tiring place to be, but you did it, and still ran 50+ miles!

I've binned my long year this year - I'm not allowing myself enough recovery from my shin splints, so I've deferred my Welsh Marathon entry to 2020 and the build for that starts here really. My 24 hour race in May was cancelled so the last iron in the fire is a track 24, way off in November.

This has given me a lot of freedom, so aside from a trail half for fun, I'll be focusing initially on 5-10km and gaining speed, plus keeping my eye in with 90-120 minute long runs when family allows. Got a few local short races over the summer to keep me on my toes and I'll see if I can go from speed to distance instead of my previous approach of building distance and then adding speed.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to say that i think that'll work for you Smitters. You've got years of base endurance already in the bag, clearly, so i think shocking the body with a new stimulus, building that strength that comes with speed and then overlaying with endurance will work well.

Let's be honest, with most reasonably trained ultra runners, with some sort of background in the sport, it's not what we'd describe as traditional 'fitness' that is the limiter. At the speeds most of us are going, the limiter is conditioning of the muscles, tendons, ligaments etc, mental fortitude and then strength endurance - well that's my take on it anyway.

I've got a last couple of decent sessions planned this week, and am about 12 days from race day. Doing a track session on Thurs (won't add anything to the race fitness, i just want to chase some of my old speed back for some shorter stuff in the summer) and a hilly 19km run on the route nice and steady. Then a proper easy week's taper and see how it goes!

Was looking back over some of my training since my injury, and even though it's totally obvious, sometimes it's nice to get that benchmarked indication of fitness improvements.

Found a 10km on the track i did about 3 months ago, a few weeks after the injury. I did a hard 10km this sunday so compared the two. Both pretty much as hard as i could for a solo run.

Latest run was: 15 secs/km faster, almost 100m elevation vs track, 10 beats lower HR avg and off the back of bigger volume and intensity of previous weeks' training. Obvious, but positive nonetheless!
p00key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a bit of nightmare at the moment blacked out when running last week - so have to have tests to find out why - luckily we have private healthcare at work . So should find out sooner rather than later . But I'm not allowed to run until we find the cause... TP100 5 weeks .....
doug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that p00key, hope all is well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 155 of 157

Jump to: