Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Tallinn or Cork - anyone signed-up?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Ironman Tallinn or Cork - anyone signed-up? Reply with quote

Just wondering. A couple of new events, and we'll get to see how Tallinn goes in a few weeks. Interested to know about travel & accommodation costs/details for anyone going to either race; appreciate Cork is next June though, but Ironman is something we generally organise way in advance.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My housemate is doing Cork.

He actually doesn't think it will be much to write home about but is doing it because it's easy for his family to get to (they are in Ireland)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:

He actually doesn't think it will be much to write home about but is doing it because it's easy for his family to get to (they are in Ireland)

I'm wondering if they're trying to leverage the whole 'Ireland thing' to entice international entrants, especially north Americans? Chances are it's one of those Full distance events that doesn't stick around for long, and I have the feeling Talliin might be the same, looking at entry numbers.

Youghal looks like a small place, will accommodation be hard to find? It's like Ironman decided to 'go long' in Ireland, asked the govt there where they could hold it, and the govt thought "Youghal is dead on it's economic feet, we'll give them that".
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

I'm wondering if they're trying to leverage the whole 'Ireland thing' to entice international entrants, especially north Americans? Chances are it's one of those Full distance events that doesn't stick around for long, and I have the feeling Talliin might be the same, looking at entry numbers.

Youghal looks like a small place, will accommodation be hard to find? It's like Ironman decided to 'go long' in Ireland, asked the govt there where they could hold it, and the govt thought "Youghal is dead on it's economic feet, we'll give them that".

I have friends in my club who are from that area. None of them have seemed overly keen on the idea, and think the course itself isn't particularly special, and the logistics will be difficult.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably when they renamed the 70.3 from Dublin to Dun Laoghaire they were hoping to get a full distance IM Dublin. I can see that being a destination event that could attract Americans as well as UK and some from Europe. Cork is a harder sell and I don't think there is enough native Irish long distance demand to keep the event alive - plus Cork is a long way from most of Ireland anyway.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, not hearing much excitement for Cork, particularly from locals by the sound of it!
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a couple of friends doing Tallinn, bike sounds reasonably flat but the run has a few bumps as it goes through part of the old town a few times.

It's a really nice place, went there a few years ago, plenty of accommodation and cheap flights from quite a few places, airport is only about 4 miles from town as it's not the biggest place.

Not sure about the weather though, it can be hot, but I gather it can get wet and windy from the sea as well.

Don't really like the sound of Cork, it was a nice place but I don't recall the roads being that good, and hotels might be a problem.

I'll try and post back with their thoughts after the race.

Jeff
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Tallinn next week...will check it out...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Homer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've always been drawn to Cork, never been, but like the idea of a holiday there. Holiday destination to a race destination is a bit different though and this is what I love about this forum, the wealth of knowledge. About races, local areas, logistics, training, nutrition to name but a few.

Now having second thoughts about Cork.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iwaters

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends from club is doing Tallinn today. Seems that the airlines have managed to lose a fair few people's bikes. He is now on a borrowed bike and shoes and wetsuit.

Not sure if its the airline or the airport not used to handling bikes but it seems a fair few have gone walkies
JeffB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a few teething problems with Tallinn I think, couple of friends did it. They were very slow getting the race booklet out or responding to things.

The swim has also been in doubt because of the cold water (I suppose it's not the Baltic for nothing), but apparently water temp can fluctuate quite quickly and I think was about 16c, but it was going to be a duathlon a few days ago.

Bike is pretty flat, 700M but a couple of K short by the look of things.

Run was a bit lumpy though, 300M+ of climbing, if any of you have been there, there's a little hill near the old town that you go up 4 times.

Having said that, the lad did 9:38 despite a 1:17 swim, and his wife did an idential time as she did in Austria. Looks like he's finished 3rd M45.

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
There's been a few teething problems with Tallinn I think, couple of friends did it. They were very slow getting the race booklet out or responding to things.

The swim has also been in doubt because of the cold water (I suppose it's not the Baltic for nothing), but apparently water temp can fluctuate quite quickly and I think was about 16c, but it was going to be a duathlon a few days ago.

Bike is pretty flat, 700M but a couple of K short by the look of things.

Run was a bit lumpy though, 300M+ of climbing, if any of you have been there, there's a little hill near the old town that you go up 4 times.

Having said that, the lad did 9:38 despite a 1:17 swim, and his wife did an idential time as she did in Austria. Looks like he's finished 3rd M45.

Jeff

No results up yet, was interested to see how many did it. Looked at the leader board though, some very fast AG winners.... M40 8:56, M45 9:00, M50 9:14 Eye Popping I wonder if the bike was like a sportive.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ruled Cork out yet; I think the sporting course and geographical proximity are keeping it in the mix. Anyone else still mulling it over? I've also had another mooch on the Hamburg webpage.
Green Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water temp in Tallinn can change very quickly - was a whopping 3 degrees during race week but rallied to 15.3 for the race - that's still pretty cold. Many athletes had the shivers in T1 and out onto the bike and quite a few didn't get that far. Lots of swimmers in neoprene hats too.

Cork is just a name used as the the nearest decent sized town some distance away. The race venue and surroundings has next to no accommodation at all. Don't know where they expect 2000 athletes to stay.
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anymore updates on Tallinn?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: