Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
just below the left shoulder blade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: just below the left shoulder blade Reply with quote

i keep picking up this injury a sharp pain just below the left shoulder blade
cant isolate it down to anyone exercise and cant afford physio at the moment.
anyone any suggestions or similar problem
magpie
AndyS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try these people:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/index.htm

I find that once you can find out what the bit is called you can then seach using that word and get back some info. There's a lot going on in your back so you'd need to look at the link above to isolate what's going on.

Good luck.
Robert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's prob due to tension in another part of your back, e.g., tense right shoulder would pull in one direction, with the left side getting strained.

Sports massage would do the trick. Otherwise get someone to rub Tiger Balm on your shoulders!
Daz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magpie, what sort of training do you do?
you swim much, use weights?

i have experienced pains along the shoulder blade in the past from lat pull downs, chin-ups, bicep raises and swimming with hand-paddles.
magpie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darryl
swim three times per week,weights once,cycle and run three,seems to flare up after a run but may just be aggrivating it,
once flaired up dont train at all for three or four days,
magpie
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know what you mean - noticing the pain when running. i think it's overuse or trainign too much with somethign yuo are not used to. i had this a fair bit when I picked my swimming up a few years back. I kept wanting to drop my arms when I ran because they ached so much.....?
edlcsre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Magpie,

Sorry to hear about your pain, never an ideal thing to have to deal with, especially somewhere like that (not easy to rub better!!)

Quick question, if I may. Whilst I have got to be the least qualified person to give any sort of fitness advice, being, as I am, a splat of lard with legs, I wondered what sort of stretches you're doing? Also, what line of work you're in.

I ask as I work with computers and, at a point in time where I was doing 12 hours a day hunched in front of a keyboard, i used to get pains in my back (the one you described, as well as others) that were just about too painful to deal with. I mentioned it at the gym and they told me it was due to lack of flexibility within the back itself; we stretch everywhere else, but quite often overlook the back.
I was encouraged to perform a series of stretches, which made me look ridiculous at the gym, but, after a short while, they really did make a bit of a difference. It *could* be that the pain you experience is simply a lack of flexibility, and so, when you're running, a muscle somewhere is just keeping a little more taught than it could be, and its this which cases the pain, either that muscle or one associated with it.

Of course, you may be more flexible than a barclaycard, in which case I've no idea what it could be, but certainly consider stretches designed for the back if you're not already. Very Happy

If you train at the gym, see if they've got one of those stretching machines, like a seat with handlebars, as that is really good for the back muscles, or else the other one that worked for me was basically being on all fours, and arching your back as high as you can (like a cat does) holding it for 5-8 seconds, and then doing the opposite, curving your back as much as you can so your stomach is as close to the floor as you can. Worked for me, but its REALLY not one for the self conscious at a crowded gym!! Wink

Hope you find something which works for you soon

Cheers

Chris
flyingelephant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the running. Go down to your running shop with your trainers and get them to anaylise your running style. A slight twist at one point could offbalacne you and cause problems elsewhere.
Also check your bike setup, maybe adjust it to take more weight off your arms.
Check you're doing the weights correctly, get someone to watch and advise.
Swimming normly creates problems with the shoulders with all the soft tissue around the joint.
Other than that see a physio to find the cause. Get your doctor to send you to the local hospital physio department.
AndyS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort yourself a sports massage. They're miracle workers.

There's a woman at work who's doing that walk/run in your bra thing for Breast Cancer Awareness thingy charity. Its marathon distance and she aims to run it. I've been telling her to get herself a massage and she's been putting it off. A few weeks ago she hurt her back badly. Doctors though it was a slipped disc and sent her for a scan which couldn't find anything. Then she saw someone else who said it was gall stones. Both said she’d need an op.

To get to the point, she ended up at the sports massage man who found a tight gluteus, he freed it and within two days she’s back out walking. The tight gluteus was tilting her pelvis and putting way too much strain on her back muscles that were being damaged as they were having to do things they're not supposed to.

Seriously, everyone, get yourself a massage. At least know where there is one and go there when you get a twinge. I go once a month and it's a miracle.
flyingelephant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sports massage may cure the problem, but is not finding the cause.
You really need to find the cause. This will help you go faster, more efficiantly, less pain and injury.
You have to cure the cause.
AndyS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tight knotty muscles could be the cause. It doesn't have to be a major injury to hurt like crazy.
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy - I think he means the cause of the knotty muscles!

Prob work-related but could also be coz we're no longer taught to sit and stand upright ("in my day..." Rolling Eyes ). Could also mean that you could be running with your shoulders tense and not even know it - if your shoulders hunch forward, it puts additional stress on the lower trapezium. Running accentuates that through the shockwaves from the feet.

Oh, to have a totally relaxed body....mind you, it'd prob flop into the nearest couch!
flyingelephant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats is the point I was aiming at.
Check out you running shoes to where the wear is. and how you use your arms when you run.
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingelephant wrote:
and how you use your arms when you run.

I use mine to elbow competitors out of the way Twisted Evil
AndyS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see. My mistake. Sorry.

I thought knots happened due to over use, not because of any particular problem elsewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: