Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Hoka Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smitters

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smitters wrote:
The toebox is spacious, but I think they've changed their sizing again as even a half size up is a bit tight.

I've changed my mind - the toebox is too tight. After some longer runs, I've found my little toe and big toe are getting rubbed, not something I'd typically get in other shoes, inc my Mafate 3's. I hope things loosen up, but as it stands, I reckon even a size up, the toebox has narrowed considerably which is annoying as the length is perfect, so the next size up is no-go.

My anecdotal experience then is that the Conquests are a slimmer fit than the Mafate 3's, even a size up.
Cheshire_set

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 weeks in and I love the feel of the Cliftons. Be warned though - if you have wide feet as I do it maybe neccessary to make some cuts to the toebox area. Plenty of info online as it appears a lot of people are doing the same. Taking a sharp knife to a pair of trainers might not be everyone's idea of a good move, but it really does work a treat.
2017 - Sandstone Ultra, Bala middle, IM Wales
recoil

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bondi 4's have arrived today, as have my Skechers Go Run Ultra 2's. My Mafates have been giving me a bit of grief lately on my big toe, which is odd as it hasn't for 200 miles or so, although it could be because I'm doing longer runs.

The bondis 4's feel a touch big length wise in comparison to the Bondi B's but they are certainly feel just like the B's foam wise.

The Skechers feel really good to, although they have a weird ridge in the middle that sort of forces me onto the forefoot which actually feels quite good although this was only after a short treadmill run. Also they are 60 half the price of the Asics 33-M's and the Hoka's.
hillwall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be time for me to invest in some of these. Attempted a 24hr run at the weekend and one of my reasons for giving up well before 24hrs was up was due to feet hurting - especially on the sort of trail with stones embedded in it which eventually just felt like I was being stabbed in the feet. Throwing money at a problem rather than HTFU is what I'd prefer.

Slightly concerned by the discussion about the toe box size. I tend to blister where my little toe gets squashed in so would definitely prefer something wider. What's the current model to go for if running 50/50 road/trail (but probably not loads of mud)?
mikeaver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hillwall wrote:
I think it might be time for me to invest in some of these. Attempted a 24hr run at the weekend and one of my reasons for giving up well before 24hrs was up was due to feet hurting - especially on the sort of trail with stones embedded in it which eventually just felt like I was being stabbed in the feet. Throwing money at a problem rather than HTFU is what I'd prefer.

Slightly concerned by the discussion about the toe box size. I tend to blister where my little toe gets squashed in so would definitely prefer something wider. What's the current model to go for if running 50/50 road/trail (but probably not loads of mud)?

I had been pondering these for ages and decided to take the plunge just prior to doing the brecon marathon, I bought the atr Challenger and I must say Im delighted with them, they really protect your feet quads and calves and are comfortable from the first time you put them on your feet. The uppers dont feel very robust but only time will tell?
As you know not everyone can get on with them but for me I have nothing but good to say about them.
As regards the model to buy.......well thats the confusing part !!
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if I will be the only person at Tough Mudder today wearing Hokas?

But I'm still not going to swim
Hillseeker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have posted before Hokas don't work for me.

I do have a pair of unused Stinsons I need to part with.
Crozza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hillseeker wrote:

if they are a 10.5 or 11 I'll take them
Cheshire_set

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheshire_set wrote:
3 weeks in and I love the feel of the Cliftons. Be warned though - if you have wide feet as I do it maybe neccessary to make some cuts to the toebox area. Plenty of info online as it appears a lot of people are doing the same. Taking a sharp knife to a pair of trainers might not be everyone's idea of a good move, but it really does work a treat.

Just saw this thread pop up again so a good point for an update. The toebox issue was proving problematic on longer runs even after the cutting up. As much as I loved the plush feel of the Clifton I had to give up on them. Some expert advice pointed me in the direction of the Altra shoes (paradigm). If you need a wide toebox and also like a maximal shoe then they are a much better bet IMO.
2017 - Sandstone Ultra, Bala middle, IM Wales
Hillseeker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crozza wrote:
Hillseeker wrote:

Will double check tonight and send you a PM.
Hillseeker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hillseeker wrote:
Crozza wrote:
Hillseeker wrote:

UK 10.
Crozza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hillseeker wrote:
Hillseeker wrote:
Crozza wrote:
Hillseeker wrote:

UK 10.

bit snug for me, thanks
smitters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit thread from the dead, but I'm in my third pair of Hokas now.

My Mafate 3s have officially died, done good mileage but worn out in places, including the tread, as predicted due to my road mileage in them.

My Conquests still have plenty of mileage in them, mainly due to a love/hate relationship. They still rub my toes in the wrong socks, i.e. anything thicker than tissue paper. They're still really hard underfoot, despite looking like moon-boots, but they're in decent condition still, the sole is lasting well and toes aside, the shoe is very comfy. They are wearing just behind the big toe, on the side, where the inside of the left shoe clips the right upper, and vice versa. I now use them as part of a road-shoe rotation with some Asics Nimbus.

My latest purchase, as of 1030 this morning, is a pair of Mafate 4s. The sole is far more aggressive than the 3s, and the feeling of fit is as good as each of the previous Hokas. The tongue and upper is much thinner, more like the Conquest than the max-all-over Mafate 3, meaning more breathable, but presumably more water and dirt ingress too. They've done away with the friction closure, opting for normal laces, which I think is a smart move. I may still swap them out for elasticated laces, but at least I'm not having to cut anything off this time.

I may have finally lucked into the right size too. I started using their size guide, and ended up with snug Mafate 3s, went half a size up in Conquests (may even have been a whole size) only to find the last was thinner and shorter, thus still slightly small. I've gone really oversize this time, a full size up from their guide and initial impressions suggest they're about right. I have thin feet, so I have to crank the uppers quite tight on the mid-foot, but if I use the extra laceholes things seem pretty solid, with loads and loads of toe room. Of course, this is all written before I've taken any strides in them, but it's an initial impression.

While I don't have any plans for ultras this year, I do want a pretty high mileage year (for me) so having these in my cupboard for the summer's trail running should be a good thing.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought I'd post in the clown shoe thread, but here we go. Got a pair of Speedgoats that'll be my allrounders (mixed surface).

Still really hate the looks of them, but as long as I don't look down they seem comfy.
recoil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im now using the Bondi 4 Wides.... certainly more room in the toebox, but I've still had to go up a whole size for some reason. Getting some weird aches but that might be down to other things. I wish I could wear normal shoes without getting injured, to wear a pair of racy shoes in a sprint tri would be awesome... Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: