Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Hoka Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oranj

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recoil wrote:

... to wear a pair of racy shoes in a sprint tri would be awesome... Sad

You need Hoka Clifton! Mine (size 8½) are 15g lighter each than the Adidas Adizero Boost I bought for racing a couple of years ago.
iron snorks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just awaiting my first pair of Hokas after running in Newtons for 8years lets see what they are like this week.

www.ridgesupplysocks.com
www.jaggad.com
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been running in various models of Hoka for the last 6 years, I have today taken delivery of something which claims to rectify the biggest general Hoka criticism namely the constrained toe box

http://www.accelerateuk.com/shop/product/552/Footwear/Altra-Zero-Drop-Paradigm/

These are actually zero drop rather than the minimal drop of the Hokas

Rather than gradually breaking them in I will do my normal 12.5 mile run to work tomorrow morning straight out of the box and see how they feel

Given that most people think Hokas are a little bit "niche", it will be interesting to see what comments I get

But I'm still not going to swim
recoil

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the altras, hated them...

Too hard compared to Hokas and gave me a weird pain in the achillies on one side. Felt very heavy as well in comparison to the Bondis...
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love my altras.. on my 3rd pair.. would be more if they were easier to come by.
but then I like a minimal approach rather than the silly hoka maxi thing.... altra seem to offer both options... an the one2 seemed pretty light to me.
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 12.5miles this morning straight out of the box, a mixture of road and trail

The Paradigm 1.5 is Altra's road running "maxi" with a sole of almost Hoka proportions complemented by the wide toe box and a zero drop

I did the exact same run earlier in the week wearing a pair of Hoka Bondi 4's with less than 50 miles in them.

Off road they were definitely more foot sure than Hoka road shoes tend to be

I loved the Altras. The most comfortable shoe I have ever run in. It took a while to get used to the shape and I sensed I was running with a slightly shortened stride pattern. But the freedom in the toe box compared to the Hokas is wonderful.

My running partner thought I looked a more "stable" and relaxed runner in the Altras than I look in Hoka's

themoid

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I've been looking at Altras for a while, and the physio I've just started seeing recommends them. Only problem is I've found out that they don't import them in my shoe size, but will still keep an eye out as I'd like to try them.

It will be good to see how you feel about them as you wear them more....

Stu
Cheshire_set

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the Altra Paradigm for well over 12 months, did IMUK and the L2M ultra using them. They are a great shoe, no question. Especially if like me you have a wider foot. Light trail and road no problem, anything wet or slippy forget it.

Interestingly I picked up a Hoka Bondi in the new 2E wide and I am really pleased with these too. First impression is they are more cushy than the Altra. Be good to compare over the coming months.
2017 - Sandstone Ultra, Bala middle, IM Wales
recoil

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
. an the one2 seemed pretty light to me.

Well yes, it would, its the shoe with the least cushioning of the lot so of course it will seem light. A comparable show would be the Paradigm, which is heavier than the Bondi.

Thinking about it, they probably aren't heavier as such, its just the foam isn't as "bouncy" as the Hokas, and they felt dead....
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recoil wrote:
ed_m wrote:
. an the one2 seemed pretty light to me.

Well yes, it would, its the shoe with the least cushioning of the lot so of course it will seem light. A comparable show would be the Paradigm, which is heavier than the Bondi.

oh well then I apologise for not comprehending your unwritten statement Rolling Eyes
albeit the one2 is the most cushioned altra show I've used and I was worried it was too much.
smitters

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 200 odd km in the Mafate 4 I would say they are the shoe I use most right now. I have repeatedly rolled my ankles in the past and broken each once, so I do step into higher stack shoes with caution and people with better ankle stability may not agree with my limitations list, but hey, we're all different. I tend to run on my mid to forefoot too, for reference - obviously this affects how the shoe feels and performs. Here are my thoughts.

Positives

Good for high mileage and longer runs.
Great on non-technical offroad or a mix of road and offroad.
Robust sole shows little wear after 200km of road and offroad mileage.
Upper is still in good condition, with no major flaws.
The fit is consistent, with little stretch from new.
They don't feel heavy, despite their clumpy size.
They feel very plush underfoot. This has increased with wear.

Negatives/Limitations

They are a high stack shoe - no getting away from it. This means they are not as good at rooty, rocky, cambered or similar technical trails. They are downright terrible when lost, off trail and trying to contour around a steep hidden valley in the local woodland. I wished for my Salomon Speedcross 3s at this point.
They are also pretty rubbish in mud, despite the more aggressive sole and again, the high stack and lack of overall stability is highlighted.
They lack feel offroad.

Frankly, none of the limitations are (or should be) a surprise. What it means for me is that while being a great long distance shoe, I would have to think carefully about using them in an ultra where the running was not trail-based. Crossing hummocky grass, or long contouring would highlight all their weaknesses, as well as my own weak ankles! If I had to do a towpath based ultra, or a road marathon even, I'd have no hesitation in lacing them up. Even for the minimal road running I have done this year, I've reached for these over my Asics Nimbus or Hoka Conquests as I feel they've helped me manage my shinsplints and PF. I even use these for the local parkrun.

Verdict - would buy again and would recommend without reserve.
Aldo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been a long time newton runner and a ‘fan’ of minimal running shoes in general although used the newton’s as I found I needed more protection than a zero cushion approach. I developed a foot injury when I got a new pair of Newton’s so I started looking around at alternatives and found myself reading about Hoka’s. A brand I had hated in principle but actually knew nothing about.

Well, I am now running in the Clayton and really enjoying it. It has changed my viewpoint on cushion completely and the stability of the shoe with the wide base is brilliant for running on uneven pavements under streetlight at this time of year. I’m actually now considering a second pair of Hoka to rotate with the Claytons and the Clifton 3 or Huaka 2 are probably the front runners.

How soft are the Clifton compared to the Clayton? I ran briefly in the original Brooks pureflow and hated them for absorbing all my energy and I am concerned the Clifton could have the same problem? Perhaps the Huaka 2 with the similar RMAT sole to the Clayton would work better for me? Having said that though I am interested to try the Clifton to see if it freshens up my legs post run like a lot of reviews seem to suggest.

I find it fascinating trying the maximal running world for the first time as a former hater. Will be interesting to see how things turn out!
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a firm fan of Skechers Go Run Ultra (mk1s or 2s) for the last couple of years. The original ones with the hybrid tread pattern, great on road, and can cope with trail if not too muddy.

Chrace wrote:
Never thought I'd post in the clown shoe thread, but here we go. Got a pair of Speedgoats that'll be my allrounders (mixed surface).

Still really hate the looks of them, but as long as I don't look down they seem comfy.
Any feedback on the Speedgoats? anyone
85IM+11DIM+D+2Q+2T=133IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
love my altras.. on my 3rd pair.. would be more if they were easier to come by.
but then I like a minimal approach rather than the silly hoka maxi thing.... altra seem to offer both options... an the one2 seemed pretty light to me.

likewise...am toying with buying a few as they are getting harder to come by...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
veggieboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently running in

Hoka Clifton 3
Sketchers Go Run Ultra Road version
Altra Paradigm

The hoka is the lightest Hoka I have run in so far but I do need a half size bigger

The Altra is the best fitting by a long way

The Sketchers are a happy medium and look the most normal

I will probably by the Sketchers trail version next as TC has been using them and also Graham Smedley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: