Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Hoka Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheshire_set

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as I said the Clifton 2 was waay too narrow. Clifton 3 I have tried and it is a much better width but I still could not get on with it, the area under the forefoot just seemed to collapse after minimal use. I always go back to Altra (should stop messing about really). Road & light trail = paradigm. Trail & mud = Olympus (size at least 1/2 up on other Altra's).
2017 - Sandstone Ultra, Bala middle, IM Wales
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I begin my Hoka journey today. I got the Odyssey 2 half price on Sportpursuit, so it's a pretty cost effective 'experiment'. I don't see much mention of the Odyssey 2 on the Internet, but they seem like the most 'normal' looking of the Hokas, and they are very light given their bulk.

One thing that's different from my Zoom Elites, is that the upper is stiffer, as a result of the nylon ribbing on it, the tongue seems pretty stiff too. Still, the sun's out, new trainers, and 10 miles for lunch...what could possibly go wrong.
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see that Hoka were the most used shoe at Kona, Saucony 2nd and Asics going from 1st to 3rd.

I'm looking st running some longer distances next year and running more in general. Is it really worth looking at moving to Hoka from Saucony? I used to wear Saucony Mirage now on the Rides until they discontinue them too Rolling Eyes

I get on with them really well but are they suitable for higher mileage?
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that this thread has popped up again.

I'm pondering a change to something that may be more easy on my calves/Achilles.

I have a history of calf/Achilles niggles from a long long time ago. Currently run in Brooks Aduro's and Adidas Ultra Boost. Both ok, however, on Saturday, gave myself a niggly calf strain.

Anyone have any experience of Skechers? Seem to be getting a lot of press just now?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:

I'm pondering a change to something that may be more easy on my calves/Achilles.

I have a history of calf/Achilles niggles from a long long time ago. Currently run in Brooks Aduro's and Adidas Ultra Boost. Both ok, however, on Saturday, gave myself a niggly calf strain.

Anyone have any experience of Skechers? Seem to be getting a lot of press just now?

resolving what causes those niggles is the answer...although you can perhaps move them around with a different type of shoe...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:

resolving what causes those niggles is the answer...although you can perhaps move them around with a different type of shoe...

That's the problem. These are very old injuries that weren't dealt with properly at the time. I've been told that as the scar tissue is so old nothing more can be done, other than being careful.

Same old story, up the mileage/intensity too quickly and it causes issues.

Not had any issues for a good while, however, was stupid last week and jumped back into it after a week of no running following a tough half marathon. Felt it on Saturday on a 6 mile run, stupidly carried on, then went out Monday morning and hey presto, I now have a very niggly calf that I am not going to aggravate. It's easing off with lots of foam rolling etc.

Doesn't help that I do very little warm up before I run and I tend to go about 30 to 40 minutes after getting up in the morning.

Just wondered if a change of shoe may be of benefit.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, you knowing didn't recover effectively after a race, don't do an effective warm up, went out too far/fast on your return and continued when your body gave you a warning signal.

assuming that your new shoes will overcome all the above, you should be ready to roll Smile

Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
so, you knowing didn't recover effectively after a race, don't do an effective warm up, went out too far/fast on your return and continued when your body gave you a warning signal.

assuming that your new shoes will overcome all the above, you should be ready to roll Smile

Yeah, when you put it like that, pretty stupid. That's my problem, far too impatient. I know what I should be doing.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original question!

Are Hoka's more forgiving on a battered old body, assuming everything else is done properly ie recovery, warm up etc?

Not looking for a miracle here, just something that potentially gives a more forgiving run.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Back to the original question!

Are Hoka's more forgiving on a battered old body, assuming everything else is done properly ie recovery, warm up etc?

Not looking for a miracle here, just something that potentially gives a more forgiving run.

yes, and no....they provide more cushioning - great, but provide less feel and the inability to use the forefoot/toes as a platform for running

arthur itictoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of back ground.
I have been doing tri since 1994 and during the last 10 years or so have been doing the LD stuff. About 4 years ago I had an op on my left medial meniscus and my knee has never been the same again Ė probably arthritis related. I have done 2 IMs since the operation but my run training prior to both was inconsistent and curtailed as I kept getting pain and swelling in that knee the result being that both IM marathons were awful.
I did a couple of sprint distance tri in May/June 2016 which went OK. In June 2016 we went to the Canaries and had a day in Fuereventura walking up miles of sand dunes. My knee didnít like it and flared up again. I was so hacked off I decided to bin running and therefore triathlon altogether and just do biking. I really missed it. In August 2017 having not run for over a year I bought a pair of Hoka Bondi 5 over the internet Ė I just took a punt. Previously I have worn Saucony Grid . I find the Hokas brilliant with so much cushioning that they are so much easier on my knees. They are the most comfortable pair of trainers I have ever had. I have gradually built up to running 3 miles twice a week which is pretty pathetic I know [ 8.15 per mile] but they have allowed me back in the game. Before my knee used to take a while to warm up and I used to limp during the first 5 or 6 minutes. With the Hokas I do some activation work and a brief jog before starting to run and when I start running I donít experience any pain.
Really happy that they have allowed me to carry on doing the sport I love
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthur itictoe wrote:
A bit of back ground.
I have been doing tri since 1994 and during the last 10 years or so have been doing the LD stuff. About 4 years ago I had an op on my left medial meniscus and my knee has never been the same again Ė probably arthritis related. I have done 2 IMs since the operation but my run training prior to both was inconsistent and curtailed as I kept getting pain and swelling in that knee the result being that both IM marathons were awful.
I did a couple of sprint distance tri in May/June 2016 which went OK. In June 2016 we went to the Canaries and had a day in Fuereventura walking up miles of sand dunes. My knee didnít like it and flared up again. I was so hacked off I decided to bin running and therefore triathlon altogether and just do biking. I really missed it. In August 2017 having not run for over a year I bought a pair of Hoka Bondi 5 over the internet Ė I just took a punt. Previously I have worn Saucony Grid . I find the Hokas brilliant with so much cushioning that they are so much easier on my knees. They are the most comfortable pair of trainers I have ever had. I have gradually built up to running 3 miles twice a week which is pretty pathetic I know [ 8.15 per mile] but they have allowed me back in the game. Before my knee used to take a while to warm up and I used to limp during the first 5 or 6 minutes. With the Hokas I do some activation work and a brief jog before starting to run and when I start running I donít experience any pain.
Really happy that they have allowed me to carry on doing the sport I love

i am pleased to hear it. Did your knee still bother you after activation work and warm up in the Sauconys?

hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:

I love my sketchers, although the low drop isnt for everyone and may take some building up to. I like them so much i imported a pair this year from the US as they didnt have them on sale in the UK (Go Speed Meb) the mebs are more traditional flats, but i also had some go runs in the past which are like slippers. great but only a training / short distance shoe. 10k at most i ran and they could leave your feet a bit sore from the pounding on hard ground and very soft soles

the mebs have a reasonably wide toe box and are very light and flexible. considering meb designed them for marathon they are perfect for long distances as well. YMMV obvs.

I also bought some inov-8 road talons which would be equally brilliant, downside the narrow toe box so i keep them as my dreadmill shoe but if you have narrower feet id recommend them also
blindcider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pair of speedgoats and they are beautifully comfortable until I have to run in them. Anything over 5km and they cause the most horrendous blisters just behind the ball of the foot.

Guess my feet are the wrong shape for them, tried changing the insoles and that hasn't helped either.

Shame, but glad I got them on sale and they seem fine as an off road walking shoe at least
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindcider wrote:
I bought a pair of speedgoats and they are beautifully comfortable until I have to run in them. Anything over 5km and they cause the most horrendous blisters just behind the ball of the foot.

Guess my feet are the wrong shape for them, tried changing the insoles and that hasn't helped either.

Shame, but glad I got them on sale and they seem fine as an off road walking shoe at least

is this because it altered your foot strike or because of the reduced proprioception?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: