Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Hever Castle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
b0redom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your definition of hills. Here's the gauntlet profile:

Agree though. Everything about the event was awesome.
Thames Turbo Race 1 - 1:20:15
Varchery Olympic - 3:21:19
Chantilly half iron - DNF - mechanical failure Sad
Hever Half Iron - 7:42:09 - the hills! Dear God! The hills!
stevegg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it's not as hilly as the lakes - I did Helvellyn last year but the Gauntlet has more hills that the Olympic. For those that have done it I am reliably informed that the bike is on a par with Wimbleball.

This was my first half and I was quite pleased with the result of just under 5:50.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, I guess it depends on what you are used to. I'd agree that if I was doing it as a straight forward bike route, it would be something I'd expect to fly around. Richmond Park which is my usual training spot has much more severe kicks in it (albeit much shorter).

But for my first event, and the first time ever immediately cycling after a decent swim, the inclines were a challenge! The cramps in calves and hamstrings were pretty bad on lap 2. Saying that, I only had to drop off the big ring twice if I remember rightly.

Still, I had a great time and I'm now just keen to train hard over the winter and get somewhat more competitive with the rest of you!
Slow swimmer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not meaning to downplay anybody's efforts which were all fantastic when I had a little joke about the hills.

It is more of an observation about people's perceptions based on where they live. I appreciate the graph appears to show lots of hills but the reality is that they are not long and depending on your bike strength, they can all be done in the top chain ring.

I guess that I live in one of hilliest areas of country and there are 1 in 4's and 1 in 5's all over place so even the 'big' climb here did not even register for me as a hill as so shallow gradient.

Does not take away from anybody's achievement as if you can do a half ironman then fantastic.

For what it is worth, I would suggest that Wimbleball bike ride is a little tougher in that the hills are longer and much steeper. However, the downhill bits are also much longer so you can get some great speed whilst recovering.

All in all, I might come back and do half Ironman next year as was so well organised and nice to squeeze one last event in after a summers racing.

It's all about getting the black T-shirt !
dhcm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant speak for the HIM course, but I would count the sprint lap as "undulating" and with a lot of twists and turns - not good for hunkering down on the TT bike for long stretches so reckon road bike would have been better. Bike times bear this out - all look slow for 20K. Mine was 40mins, my cleats didn't work and I had bad cramp in last K as a consequence, but reckon that didn't lose me much more than a couple of minutes - call it about 38mins par. Usually I would expect to be below 35 for that distance.

But by comparison to the lakes it was indeed close to "flat"!

Beer at the end was an excellent touch.
Slow swimmer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On balance, I would still have this down as TT bike course rather than road bike. Non-stop undulations but they are lovely on TT bike to get you out of the horrible aero position on regular basis.

As many undulations were so short, you can transmit a lot of power on TT bike and you were at top of climb before you knew it then back into aero.

Having said that, you would not lose that much using road bike unlike on some courses.

It's all about getting the black T-shirt !
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting reading different people's perceptions. I agree with the above about a TT bike if you're used to one and that's never having ridden one, not even used clip on aeros. Having only just got into the sport aero bars are a next year purchase item, but in training I've felt the need to reduce drag on the flat and so have adopted a pseudo aero position with my elbows inside the hoods. Took some getting used to but I'm pretty stable at it now. I adopted that on stretches of the bike segment yesterday. There were some long curvy decent/flat sections where you could really pick up speed and put the power down.

As for the argument about hilly or not, my bryton gives each ride a Tour de France KOM category rating. Yesterday it gave it a 3, so you're probably right as that would no doubt be classed as a stage for the sprinters!
smarkgee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow swimmer wrote:
On balance, I would still have this down as TT bike course rather than road bike. Non-stop undulations but they are lovely on TT bike to get you out of the horrible aero position on regular basis.

As many undulations were so short, you can transmit a lot of power on TT bike and you were at top of climb before you knew it then back into aero.

Having said that, you would not lose that much using road bike unlike on some courses.

Can I re-ignite the TT vs road debate for the Hever Gauntlet this weekend??

I've done the Gauntlet twice. My second bike time was a couple of minutes faster than the first on a TT bike. BUT I was fitter second time round.

I'm still tempted to go for the TT again this weekend but I remember that my 32T wasn't up to the job of the steeper hills and i had to grind it a bit last year.

My road bike should help me use a sensible cadence up the hills but it always feels slow to me anywhere else

HELP !
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

as a compromise - do you have any clip on tribars you could use on the road bike, and deep rim wheels you can switch onto it?? this is what I did at IM Wales many moons ago as I wanted the qualities of my road bike with the option of aero at times. I came off the bike knackered but feeling quite comfortable which helped me knock out my 2nd fastest IM run time on the lumpiest run course of an IM I've done.
tin pot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím going TT this time, but Iím not expecting to be faster than on roadie. Iím hoping the benefit is from stronger legs come the run.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way, I'm Chief Official (ref) for the BTF Middle Distance Champ event (Gauntlet) and by default the same for Bastion and aquabikes. my key focus is however the Champ event as I want everyone to have a good, fair race and a chance to be crowned BTF champ

do say hi to me - I'm easy to spot - ex-prop, large and with a white chin goatee beard.

but don't pee me off - I love handing out DQ's...... Wink
tin pot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíll say hi if I see you. Iíll be on an Argon TT with a tent on my back arriving Saturday evening.

..just got to buy a tent first.

And figure out how to get all my kit on my back.

And fix my bike.

The Gauntlet should be fun, exciting to be in a championship even without being competitive.
smarkgee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Quote:

as a compromise - do you have any clip on tribars you could use on the road bike, and deep rim wheels you can switch onto it?? this is what I did at IM Wales many moons ago as I wanted the qualities of my road bike with the option of aero at times. I came off the bike knackered but feeling quite comfortable which helped me knock out my 2nd fastest IM run time on the lumpiest run course of an IM I've done.

i'd forgot i have some spare bars that i bought precisely for this purpose. the wheels s/be ok to switch as well. that IS an option. ty

I guess i'm leaving it a bit late.

yes. i'm also thinking more spinning will leave my legs fresher and they have not been fresh on the previous outing at hever. i seem to remember at least 3 grinding hills at about 60rpm still hitting target watts
Jgav

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look out for you both. I'm in a red and black zone3 trisuit and riding a white and red Giant TCR with clip on bars. Camping down in Crowborough with the family this weekend.
tin pot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus Christ itís so hot today, I am not looking forward to the run tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: