Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Hever Castle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
b0redom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it for the last 2 years, and will do it again this year. The bike is indeed 'lumpy'.
Thames Turbo Race 1 - 1:20:15
Varchery Olympic - 3:21:19
Chantilly half iron - DNF - mechanical failure Sad
Hever Half Iron - 7:42:09 - the hills! Dear God! The hills!
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

This years Hever Castle triathlon will be my first. I got talked in to the mid-distance as a friend was signed up. It's only just come to my attention quite how "off track" it is!

My main question relates to the transitions. Before I read about the gravel car park, I was intending on having my shoes clipped in already and running barefoot through transition. That no longer sounds like a great idea! So I'm interested to know what people who have been before would suggest...

1. Man up and run on the gravel!
2. Put my SPD-SL shoes on and "hobble" to the mount line. The same back to the rack at T2.
3. Switch to my commuter bike SPD pedals and weare my MTB SPD trainer-shoes that I could at least jog in.

1 seems unnecessarily painful. 2 seems like a waste of time at T1 and T2 but at least I get stiff soled road shoes for the 40km bike, which is long enough it might matter. 3 will speed up the transitions but I prefer the stiff soles for longer rides. Saying that I have done London-Brighton in the MTB shoes before I got my decent road bike.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma, so would appreciate some advice from people who have been there and done it!

Thanks!
b0redom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it a couple of times, and I'm sticking with #2. I'm not confident putting on shoes on the fly, and if you get gravel stuck in your shoes it'll take longer to stop and empty it out IMO.
Elty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the actual transition area at hever is uneven and grassy until you get to the chutes for the run out and bike out/in at which point they are gravelly.

if its wet then you will want shoes on obviously. depending on where you rack it can be 100m+ to run with the bike before you get to the mount line.

I will be putting my shoes on (SPD-SL) before I grab the bike from the rack.

El Rey is anatomically my natural enemy/best friend.
tin pot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

The gravel is brief and after the mount point, but I will be donning my SPD-SL shoes any way.
Slow swimmer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why when over 5000 people are entered into this event, is there barely a 2 page thread on this event ?? Obviously, deepest Kent is not a Tritalk stronghold.

Anyway, I am about to set off from Yorkshire to have a crack at this one for a change. A bit of a change from the usual hilly events that I prefer doing so I hope these undulations are steeper than indicated.

Gravel sounds fun - I will be keeping my cycling shoes on as don't want to get gravel on my feet and be the muppet who cocks up trying to leave shoes on the bike.

Any updates on the water temperature? Last week it was still tropical. Has it dropped much?

It's all about getting the black T-shirt !
Elty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to the website it was 14 degrees on Wednesday at 1pm....

http://www.castletriathlonseries.co.uk/en/hever-2013-race-admin-copy/

El Rey is anatomically my natural enemy/best friend.
tin pot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forecast is pretty good.

I hope the ground is a bit softer than it was in July.
dhcm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck tomorrow to all the kids + adult sprinters
Slow swimmer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to this change of scenery now and having a crack at this course. Probably foolishly did a 5K Park Run this morning as with so many around the country on Saturday morning, thought would try it near where I was staying. Managed to stay semi sensible but still won it. Hopefully will not tire legs too much for tomorrow.

Chris_Swyer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am doing the Oly tomorrow, first time moving up from Sprint distance should be fun although bike / swim training have been non-existent with Half Marathon focus.

14 degrees sounds relatively barmy after my earlier season efforts.

Cycling / Triathlon blog: www.richmondrider.wordpress.com
dhcm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good fun in the sprint distance today - short course but tough, lots of hills on bike, think TT bike was not the ideal choice (road bike with clips-ons probably better). My left cleat was broken, so not best day on the bike, but great scenery etc

Afternoon was great - 1,300 kids aged 8-15, good to see them having a shot at a real tri with a real lake swim incl. washing machine (my daughter took a big kick to the head but hung in), some of the older ones looking v.quick (but then again, they are only a few years younger than brownlees I guess)
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback all. I went with #2. It was actually not too bad running on grass in the bike shoes.

Pretty happy with my performance for a first time. I did the mid distance (800m/40k/8k) and came just inside the top 40% overall. Having not been able to do a swim/bike brick session in training though, that was an experience! I was cramping really badly up the big climb at the start of lap 2, and really struggled to drink or eat anything which I've never had a problem with on a vanilla bike session. I just felt really sick. And the gravelly slope at the end of the run lap was a real killer!

Thought the organisation was good, especially the marshals and traffic management guys out on the road for the bike. And everything was really well sign posted at all points. Our wave started quite a bit behind schedule, but that's about the only criticism and that was nothing important.

Time to plan my calendar for next year now. I've definitely got the bug!
b0redom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to break the half iron duck on this course, but boy was it hard.

Race report if anyone's bored:

http://ferroustom.wordpress.com/2013/09/30/thegauntlet-hevercastle2013-racereport/
Slow swimmer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say that very impressed with the organisation here. Large events can be very impersonal and feel disorganised. Have to say that credit to the organisers as logistically it was almost flawless which takes some exceptional planning and just an all round lovely event.

Whilst I still prefer my usual events in the Lake District, this is one that I would now thoroughly recommend. Traffic management on bike course was flawless and they even built a bridge to take runners over bike course to prevent issues.

Had my usual type of race, as I came out of swim in about 500th of the 808 who did the Olympic distance. Then overtook loads on bike as was around 40th on bike followed by a good run and did a 41 min 10k which I was pleased with having raced at 5k on day before so legs tired a bit from that.

Had to laugh at all people saying the bike course was hilly. Where were the hills? I accept there was no flat but they were just gentle undulations and none of them kicked up at all. A lovely bike course as undulations prevent the back aching too much by being in time trial position all the time.

And a pint of alcohol free beer at finish......can't be bad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: