Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Best head torch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiscoWreck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Best head torch Reply with quote

Looking ahead to next year and The Brutal catches my eye but looking at it a head torch would be required so any recommendations. Will be useful when walking the dog over the winter months as well

Value for money as well

Thanks in advance
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do links from my phone, but I've got a couple of Alpkit Gammas. Although not the most expensive, they are well regarded on this forum & others & I find the beam easilt as good as my Princeton Tec Apex which was considerably more. Get yourself one, see how you get on over the winter.

Alternatively ,train harder so you can get up & dowm Snowdon in daylight.
ttowel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having trained and raced at night for many years, the Alpkit Gamma is my weapon of choice for most nights, i have used others. There are brighter, with bigger batter packs, such as the LED lenser, but for 12 its a bargain.

No matter how good the torch is, you should look for an ebay chinese hand held jobbie from deal extreme or indeed ebay, as running with a torch lower down helps you see a lot more in terms of depth of field rather than just distance of beam.
Ben S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a triathlete who presumably rides bikes I'm going left field and recommending the Exposure joystick bike light! It can be clipped to your bars, put on a helmet mount (when mtbing as an addition to a bigger bar mounted light) and you can get an elastic headband to wear it as a head torch. To be honest you could make the headband with a bit of old elastic but they are not that expensive.

I've got an old joystick (mk2?) which was OK but not really enough for road riding on its own. The newer ones are much brighter and great for road night rides. Either the old one or the new one have been what I've reached for when running in the dark for the last 12 months and the head torches I own have sat gathering dust.

Buying an alpkit gamma would be A LOT cheaper but this is a great way to justify a new bike light! I won't tell you how little I paid for the joystick mk7 in a wiggle sale a while back as it'll make you sad (70% off don't happen that often!)!
Compo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent most of my spare time over the years on steep rock and ice, and took to triathlon to maintain fitness levels. Have used Petzls throughout, using the Myo XP. Expensive, but I am not willing to compromise on safety. Rarely need to change the batteries and throws out enough light for me to run off-road at night.
wiz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpkit gamma for roads then add a hand held for off roading at night

2011; 3 broken ribs, broken hand x 2

2012;March right clavicle, April shattered elbow (i see a pattern developing)
patriciaa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my petzl
chunkytfg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had to run with it yet but I got issued at work a Silva Sprint headtorch and its a beast of a light. You could MTB quite happily with it I would think the amount of light it gives out.

NOt light or cheap though.

Oly PB=2.47.01 @18.5stone!

Will hopefully one day make 'race weight' !!
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my LED Lensa and it's teamed up with a Fenix hand torch as Hywel suggests.
Never used alpkit, bu they seem good for the money
repoman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Ring of Fire (where I was out in the dark for a long time Rolling Eyes ) I used my new Petzl Nao for the first time and it was superb. It's USP is a sensor which varies the amount of light put out according to demand. If you are reading a map for example it puts out less light than if you are looking across a pitch black field. I wouldn't recommend it for biking but for running it is superb and the battery duration was exceptional. It's pricey though at > 100

I also reccomend a hand torch in addition: I use a Fenix.
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ayup-lights.com/products/246/

Not to everyone's taste or budget but I have them on my bikes

If you want to run in daylight, these are the kiddies

But I'm still not going to swim
markie r

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

led lenser H7. you puts it on your head, you switch it on, you adjust the beam width, you run. I've also got a P7 which is the handeheld version and just as good. pricey though.
Daz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petzl Myo RXP for me too. I take out a cyberlite for training runs, which you can wrap around the wrist quite nicely and forget it's there. Serves as a back-up for overnight ultra races.
martinp....ink

Location: Running on the trails laughin at the tarmac munchers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pricey but you can off road mtb with it as well so dual purpose, I use a Hope R4 1200 lumens on full with 3 settings, I have the endurance battery as well to double burn times.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markie r wrote:
led lenser H7. you puts it on your head, you switch it on, you adjust the beam width, you run. I've also got a P7 which is the handeheld version and just as good. pricey though.

I got a new P7 with a free K3 thrown in for 17 inc. post on ebay last week. Was expecting them to be fake but turned up and were genuine. Just kept putting a low bid on all the auction items and eventually got lucky when no-one else bid. Great lights. Seller seems to have gone bust now - can't imagine why!
Also got a Chinese 3-head Boruit head-torch on ebay for 17 inc delivery Uses a pair of 18650 rechargeables which can be recharged in place.

Not the most amazing quality, but ok. Light output is very good, although I doubt is the 4000LM claimed. Compares well with my Magicshine MJ-872 though, which is a more realistic 1800lm. The Boruit is very lightweight though, as does not have heavy duty aluminium casing, more a plasticcy-metallic combo. By no means the worst quality and a few more gromits, zip-ties and maybe even a dab of solder would strengthen all the cable entry/exit points which my wife is so expert at destroying given half a chance. No CE markings on the tiny power adapter and travel adapter is always something to be a little cautious of with rechargeable Chinese stuff - best to buy a decent spec external charger and batteries, or otherwise be cautious where, when and how you use the unrated items. Might kill your TV reception, or maybe a whole lot worse.
Am currently spending a lot of time at work validating power adapter approvals markings and chasing down the suppliers and test bodies to make sure the two have actually ever heard of each other. Meanwhile our sales/logistics channels just keep trying to supply any old cheap unmarked garbage to go with the precision equipment we manufacture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: