Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Weymouth 2017

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xcrogers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Weymouth 2017 Reply with quote

Did some quick searching and didn't see a 2017 thread on the race so figured what the hell. This will be my first year at Weymouth, any pro tips? Race specific rookie mistakes to avoid? Hoping to round my season out with a good race here and nab a 2018 WC spot. See how the day goes! Good luck to everyone racing!
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice race Weymouth. Main things to consider:
- make sure you are used to sea swimming. The year I did it the swim was glorious, finest I have ever done in the Uk, but it can be rougher - was shortened one year when a challenge event.
- ride is hillier than I expected

With regards to the WC slots make sure you hang around for the ENTIRE roll down. These are not like Kona slots, they roll a long way and some AG;s do not take up their allocation and these roll back into the larger AG's. Especially with South Africa a long haul destination.

Mate of mine really wanted to go to Chattanooga for the Worlds this year (two of us already Q'd - I got mine at Weymouth last year) and did Staffs. Was 'tired' after the race so left after his AG was done, only to find he could have got a later slot from the AG that did not take up all their allocation. He regrets it hugely; don't make the same mistake!!
chickenboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, great race and location, lovely sea swim if calm. If sunny then wear tinted goggles as sighting to first buoy will be directly into the sun. Road surfaces are a bit #@?# in certain parts, make sure you secure the loose bits, i.e behind seat bottles, on your bike. Spin the hills. Pan flat run course! I'm gunning for a WC slot too 45-49, although there are some racing snakes on the startlist in my AG
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Nice race Weymouth. Main things to consider:
- make sure you are used to sea swimming. The year I did it the swim was glorious, finest I have ever done in the Uk, but it can be rougher - was shortened one year when a challenge event.
- ride is hillier than I expected

With regards to the WC slots make sure you hang around for the ENTIRE roll down. These are not like Kona slots, they roll a long way and some AG;s do not take up their allocation and these roll back into the larger AG's. Especially with South Africa a long haul destination.

Mate of mine really wanted to go to Chattanooga for the Worlds this year (two of us already Q'd - I got mine at Weymouth last year) and did Staffs. Was 'tired' after the race so left after his AG was done, only to find he could have got a later slot from the AG that did not take up all their allocation. He regrets it hugely; don't make the same mistake!!

I've been to loads of slot 70.3 allocations. What TRO says is spot on. You'd be surprised where the slots end up and you have to be there!
xcrogers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips so far, though perhaps I should have specified I'm actually looking for any tips on the race, not the WC qualifications. Maybe things like... the turn on to so and so road is #@?#... watch out... or miles 10-20 are haul ass.

At the end of the day my place (and time) is what it is. I'd like to do well but so much is out of ones control.

My question was more for race specific oddities people might have picked up from doing the race before. I find the WTC briefings to a joke (and increasingly hilariously commercialized) and getting first hand knowledge from people who have raced before far more valuable.

Thanks!!!!!!
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xcrogers wrote:
Thanks for the tips so far, though perhaps I should have specified I'm actually looking for any tips on the race, not the WC qualifications. Maybe things like... the turn on to so and so road is #@?#... watch out... or miles 10-20 are haul ass.

At the end of the day my place (and time) is what it is. I'd like to do well but so much is out of ones control.

My question was more for race specific oddities people might have picked up from doing the race before. I find the WTC briefings to a joke (and increasingly hilariously commercialized) and getting first hand knowledge from people who have raced before far more valuable.

Thanks!!!!!!

Seafront run can be very windy. I saw a lot get very cold last year although some of them could have been doing the full. There were foil blankets at one of the aid stations on the way out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: