Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wilmslow Half
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fast slow twitch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Wilmslow Half Reply with quote

Huge event this is that attracted some top class athletes. There were a couple of Kenyan people there. Think one won it, but have not seen results yet. What got me was their size. They are so delicate. Dont realise when you see them on tv. Very very slight. See why runners watch their weight so much now. One of the Kenyans collapsed or fell. I hope he's ok as he was on the deck when I passed.

Did the event in 90mins. 30secs quicker than 4 Villages. However, my legs are getting back to normal quicker, even as I type they are ok, which is basically the object of the exercise. Not saying I could run on them, but walking, stairs an all that ok.
Anybody else partake?
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice run FST

KENYANS AT Wilmslow, they must be lost Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done FaST Clap
--runing with the Kenyan's, moving up in the world Wink

4 secs off your last time isnt to be sniffed at, unlike me who seemed to be practising slow IM running in Cranleigh 21 Crying or Very sad
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. but I was at the Kingston 16 this morning. Very windy two lap course which took me 1hr 47m. This was some 6 minutes slower than my best in October last year but today was an exercise in pace control for the London marathon. The plan was to stick to 160 bpm for the whole race but with the strong winds, I think I averaged something around 163. When I download my heart rate profile later tonight, I should be able to get my mile splits and dtermine the extent to which I was able to hold a steady pace. I think I slowed over the last two miles but I had done another one of my mega turbo sessions yesterday so I wasn't expecting a sprint finish!

Giantman

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
AndyS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM wrote:
stick to 160 bpm for the whole race

Snippets of info like that mean a lot to me. Thats as low as I can manage for running and I feared it was too high. But if it's good enough for you!

Last edited by AndyS on Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since losing wieght i have seen my heart rate drop dramaticly when running hard

use to top 180 easy now normaly around 167/168

AndyS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My distance run (which is pretty much the same pace as any run I do Very Happy ) of 8 miles keeps my heart rate around 164.

I haven't got a great deal more weight to lose. Who'd thought I'd be able to say that, jeez how things chance. 3.5 stone gone in 8 months. Just another half to go.
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy top tip i have learnt never keep the same pace no matter what even if it means going to the treadmill and blasting your legs vary the speed or you will never change.
i have started to put speed drills in to my running and i am now showing the profits.

you get some good ones off the runners world sight, plus waiting for the Lord God GM to pass a few on

AndyS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, GM. What happened to tip of the day? You owe us about a months worth! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (I am kidding, want to make that clear!)

I run 12k in an hour, I'm quite pleased with that pace as it 3hr 40min marathon pace and 1hr 50min half marathon (for Sherborne). My plan was to stick with it and just increase distance. I do a little run on the tread mill on Wednesday's as I'm doing mini-bricks. I run 2k on number 15 (what ever that is), which feels quite fast. Knackers me out anyway.
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats enough

this is were i was making my mistake as i was going for just distance and not pace. although it has worked out well as i know i now have the endurance engine to get me there just got to inprove the pace
on the tread mill i normay run about 11/11.5kph

and fingers crossed tha will get me in under 2 hrs next week in my half marathon

and i will just follow you at Sherbourne Wink

Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giantman's Tip of the Day

Run marathons fast, it hurts if they take too long!

Seriously though, Connor is right; churning out long training miles at the same pace will teach your body to adapt to that level of fitness. No more or no less. So vay the pace and mix up your runs so that a couple of sessions are training your legs for strength, eg, hill work and long endurance, whilst others are aimed at improving your cardio-vascular efficiency, eg, intervals.

Giantman

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
Cougie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya FST - I ran yesterday - finished round the same time as you as well. I was wearing a bandana with flames on ?

Apparently that was the leading lady Kenyan that fell - tripped up? Not heard how she is though, but paramedics and the ambulance were attending.

I was about 30 secs quicker than 4 villages though, but had stitches throughout the second half, so not as quick as I'd hoped for, but if compared to previous years - I'm much further up the field.

I think the top 5 men were all Kenyan. Amazing speed.
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DID i Read right

GM said i was right

Praise from ceaser him self, oh and i ran 5 and half mile to day at 7:52 pace, what a day this is turning out to be Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Quote:
Seriously though, Connor is right
Quote:

fast slow twitch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I spotted you Cougie - you were a bit up the road, but kept seeing this bandana on a guy with a runners world top? Must have been you.

Did not notice the blonde in black who was at 4 Villages. Hoped she was a regular fixture at these half's.

Did you spot the two guys who were talking about work for the whole run? Was entertaining. I spent half of the event watching the jets from Manchester airport. Bit of an anorak on the side!
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
Cougie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was me.

The planes were fun weren't they ?At one point I remember thinking 'I hope that was a plane taking off and not a really loud van bombing down the road behind me' Surprised

Darn, I think I missed the blonde girl. Sad

I did hear those guys though - they passed me as I was suffering, and the taller guy was saying how he got a 2.35 in London on a diet of 100 mile weeks. Eeeeek !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: