Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Sub 11 Ironman Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2 scheds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub 11 at IM Wales you say...

Tasty.

Twisted Evil
SidSnot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 scheds wrote:
Sub 11 at IM Wales you say...

Tasty.

Twisted Evil

Yup, you with me?

So what's the plan fella's?
Foggy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want sub 11 at Switzerland next year. My plan is, over winter, to concentrate on the bike, some more biking and then bike a bit more after that.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of things will need to go well for me to get sub 11 at Tenby. But I did IM UK with an FTP of 276, rode 5:57 and blew on the run.

Tenby is a harder ride, so if I don't have at least 25 watts extra under the bonnet next season it's game over before I start.

Me, the gym's Watt Bike and the phrases 'threshold interval' and 'pain' are going to become very well acquainted with each other over Winter.
DanL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going for sub-11 at Roth. Did 12.14 at Copenhagen on the back of not much training at all for four months and a two year break from triathlon - previously around 12.30 at Austria and Outlaw.

Plan is fairly simple for me.

1. Swim: I'm a strong swimmer so aim to be out of the water in an hour feeling fresh (1:09 at Copenhagen)

2. Bike: reading posts on the sub-10 thread I do too much cycling in the easy zone. Also don't get anywhere near aero enough for long enough. Have bought a turbo to mainly practice getting aero over the winter. Have four bike sessions a week planned: 1. LSD at 3/4 hours through to the end of January. 2. Tempo session at about 2 hours. 3. Turbo session focussing on maintaining aero, getting comfortable. 4. Spin class (not sure about the spin class - idea was to have some intensity in there but recovery might be better use of the time). (5:51 at Copenhagen on a pretty generous course and winds on the day - think I'm more of a 6:15 ability really)

3) Running; easily my weakness. Need to be consistent. Four runs planned: 1. LSD up to two hours, maybe 2.30 if it doesn't do me in. 2. Tempo. 1 hour at slightly uncomfortable pace. Would like to get under 50min for 10k and 1:45 for half marathon although I can't tell you what that's got to do with going sub 11. 3. Interval run. Not quite sure what this is for either but everyone tells me I should do them. 4. Steady 10k at target IM marathon pace (4hours). Without this run it doesn't seem like I'm doing enough mileage so thought I'd better stick it in.

As you can see - hardly a scientific approach and the plan is mainly pieced together from stuff I've read on here and other places cobbled together with my experience.

Also need to get my weight down from 15 stone 7lbs to at least 14 stone and preferably 13 stone 7lbs through sensible, planned eating linked to my training load.

Signed up to Challenge Roth.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need a list. Smile

Wheezy. 65 / 5:30 / 3:59 / 10. Cotswold226 or Challenge Weymouth

So the plan for me? Just be consistent. Get my body to the point where I can actually run a marathon so I guess some strength and core work will be important. Other than that, do whatever Coach Cox tells me.
DanL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:

So the plan for me? Just be consistent. Get my body to the point where I can actually run a marathon so I guess some strength and core work will be important. Other than that, do whatever Coach Cox tells me.

Have you just killed your own thread?
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanL wrote:
Wheezy wrote:

Have you just killed your own thread?

Smile

Nah. Whether I'm following my plan or someone else's it's always going to be a stretch for me. Ultimately, I'm guessing there's a lot more of us going for this type of target than a sub 10.
DanL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only kidding.

Interesting comment about 'doing what your coach tells you though' - I think this is a mistake I've made in the past.

I had a coach who I really like and trusted to make much better use of my time than I was but I don't think I engaged with the whole process enough and gave him enough feedback to be able to get the most out of me.

Getting a coach and setting up the relationship is probably a good thing to talk about - lots of coaches seem to be setting the parameters about how it's going to work (I'm talking generally - not about 'Coach Cox') so how did you set yours up to make sure it was best for you?
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dan. my remark about 'doing whatever I'm told' was very flippant and is not how it works. I know that I am a very average triathlete and I ummed and ahhed quite a while about whether it was for me, but with the thought of tackling Embrunman I really felt that I wanted some support and wanted to approach my training better so that I would have a race that I could look back on and be proud of. I felt it was worth a shot to help me be consistent and graduate my training rather than the famine and feast way that has been which I have done on the past.

There is feedback from Russ and he's adapted my plans as things have come up so that the next cycle reflects what I am and am not capable of.

I think the thing that I am getting from it is patience. This may seem an odd thing, but with an event up to a year away this is key for me. By now, on my own and even with the achilles injury that I have I would be trying to ramp up my run milege instead of keeping it lower and playing the long game.

Ultimately, the sessions have been different and enjoyable and fit into the time that I have available. I'm looking at the moment at about 8hrs per week which isnt that much and in terms of brunman and sub 11 prep will be a challenge on itself.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dan. my remark about 'doing whatever I'm told' was very flippant and is not how it works. I know that I am a very average triathlete and I ummed and ahhed quite a while about whether it was for me, but with the thought of tackling Embrunman I really felt that I wanted some support and wanted to approach my training better so that I would have a race that I could look back on and be proud of. I felt it was worth a shot to help me be consistent and graduate my training rather than the famine and feast way that has been which I have done on the past.

There is feedback from Russ and he's adapted my plans as things have come up so that the next cycle reflects what I am and am not capable of.

I think the thing that I am getting from it is patience. This may seem an odd thing, but with an event up to a year away this is key for me. By now, on my own and even with the achilles injury that I have I would be trying to ramp up my run milege instead of keeping it lower and playing the long game.

Ultimately, the sessions have been different and enjoyable and fit into the time that I have available. I'm looking at the moment at about 8hrs per week which isnt that much and in terms of brunman and sub 11 prep will be a challenge on itself.
skipper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely this thread is not going to be any different then the sub 10 thread, there's not really anything you would do differently generally the sessions are going to be pretty similar.

I think one thing which a lot of people do is just to much slow stuff and they completely neglect the speed work. I think the key, certainly for me is to work on the speed work with one long run and one long ride a week, quite often I will go fr a few weeks without doing a long run depending on races but then I do interval sessions with the running club where were running at sub 5 pace and by the time you've added w/u and w/d you've got 10 miles+. These are the sessions I feel which make a difference.

But in short I think focusing on speed until the last 6-8 weeks then do some specific Ironman Sessions and you won't go far wrong. Oh and buy a power meter of some sort. It really will bring your cycling on.

a very average blog!!!
joeskipper.co.uk
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skipper wrote:
Oh and buy a power meter of some sort. It really will bring your cycling on.

Talking of this, I hadn't heard of 'Stages' PMs until yesterday, when I heard I could get a deal on them through work. They look like a very convenient solutuion i.e. you just buy a L/H Shimano, SRAM or Cannondale crank and off you go (provided you have a computer that'll read the ANT+ signal!)

Would I love an SRM...hell yes, would I pay that money... hell no!
Wheezy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skipper wrote:
Surely this thread is not going to be any different then the sub 10 thread, there's not really anything you would do differently generally the sessions are going to be pretty similar.

I think one thing which a lot of people do is just to much slow stuff and they completely neglect the speed work. I think the key, certainly for me is to work on the speed work with one long run and one long ride a week, quite often I will go fr a few weeks without doing a long run depending on races but then I do interval sessions with the running club where were running at sub 5 pace and by the time you've added w/u and w/d you've got 10 miles+. These are the sessions I feel which make a difference.

But in short I think focusing on speed until the last 6-8 weeks then do some specific Ironman Sessions and you won't go far wrong. Oh and buy a power meter of some sort. It really will bring your cycling on.

Some similarity between this an the 10 hr thread I am sure but there could still be quite a bit of difference between someone aiming for low 9 hrs and there training when compared to someone like me who's probably going to be just sneaking in under 11? If nothing else a thread to share chat and training ideas. When I've got more time I'll stick up what I am currently doing. Have somewhere else to be. Rolling Eyes
davesm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 10.50 in Roth in 2011 but was trying to get as close to 10.00 as i could but the heat did for me. Prior to that my best was 11.40 at the Outlaw in 2010.

The changes I made were:
1) got Russ C to coach me
2) bought a power meter for training
3) Russ moved me towards more focussed bike sessions
4) More specific pace work in longer runs and other runs.

My plan in Roth was to swim 1hr (did 59 at the Outlaw), ride around 5.30 and run 3.30 ish. I knew it was a gamble as I was unsure whether i had the run condition to allow me to run at 3.30 pace. In the end I swam 1.06 (terrible for some reason), biked around 5.30-40 and ran 4.02 I think.

What screwed me was the heat and I got severely dehydrated and sunburnt on the bike leading to mild heat stroke. I also cocked up my nutrition on the early stages of the bike, which didn't help. I remember v little of the run as I was a bit of a shambles by that point. I spent the next week of a holiday with dressings on my burns on my back which made sleeping a tad tricky!

What I learnt was that
a)pacing on the bike was v difficult in such a big race. I was forever under or over my power cap trying to avoid drafting i.e. either having to speed up to get past folks or having to drop back. I hadn't experienced this before. There were mini-peletons all over the place and i wanted to play by the rules.
b) Nail my nutrition more thoroughly
c) Find the bloody suncream in transition!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 2 of 29

Jump to: