Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Sub 11 Ironman Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

185km run so far 2017, Longest run built up to 18km which has been a lot of progress for me, just need to keep buildng the muscle/soft tissue resilience to go longer.

First couple of bikes outside ~50-60k @27-28kph, so a lot of work to do there. Now have time for a weekend ride plus 1-2hours on wattbike through the week so hopefully start putting in the miles.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krispy wrote:

Potential splits:
Swim: 1hr20
Bike: 5hr40
Run: 3hr45
T1+T2: 10mins

You shouldn't need more than 6 min for transitions, provided you are well sorted (which event?). I would say work on the swim, as you could probably save 5 min+ and the added swim fitness will help you through T1 and the rest of the event.

In my long experience of hunting hour markers, you really need to be in a place where you can theoretically go 20-25 min under that time to stand a chance on race day. Just sneaking in there by having everything go 100% to plan on the day rarely ever works.

Oh, and ride the first 60km like you're going down to the shops.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

what, full on high intensity mash up??? Very Happy

Yep, pace management is all...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key to sub 11 - pick the right race!

3 x Wales, 2 x Bolton, 1 x Lanzarote: 6 x 11:xx
1 x Barcelona: 1 x 9Madx

2017: IM 70.3 Exmoor, IM UK, IM 70.3 WC Chattanooga.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Key to sub 11 - pick the right race!

3 x Wales, 2 x Bolton, 1 x Lanzarote: 6 x 11:xx
1 x Barcelona: 1 x 9Madx

I'm sure that says more about Barcelona Wink
Krispy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Krispy wrote:

Potential splits:

You shouldn't need more than 6 min for transitions, provided you are well sorted (which event?). I would say work on the swim, as you could probably save 5 min+ and the added swim fitness will help you through T1 and the rest of the event.

In my long experience of hunting hour markers, you really need to be in a place where you can theoretically go 20-25 min under that time to stand a chance on race day. Just sneaking in there by having everything go 100% to plan on the day rarely ever works.

At this stage of the planning, i'd rather estimate a little bit high. These splits would bring me in @10hr55... enough cushion for some high 5's on the finishing carpet. Feels better psychologically to think "great, 3mins ahead of race plan" than "cr@p, 3mins down already". Avoids negative thoughts and the impulse to chase.

I swam 1hr23 @Weymouth (perfect conditions) and agree, this offers scope for improvement. I'd love a 1hr15... less energy expended in the water, the better. My concern is potential for non-wetsuit swim @IM Vichy

Race reports of temperatures hitting mid 30's during the day will present further challenges. Especially as I'm a sweaty b^$^&d! This isn't something I can really prepare for

Race execution is critical. Hydration / nutrition / pacing. Plenty of time to get a plan in place. A mate has recommended BestBikeSplit and this is something I'll have a play with this year.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krispy wrote:
A mate has recommended BestBikeSplit and this is something I'll have a play with this year.

Don't do the math, do the training Very Happy

Hmm, Vichy could be a tough day if it's hot. The only time I went over 11h was when it was 40 degrees. Brutal.

Last edited by Jorgan on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Krispy wrote:

Potential splits:

Think it was Slacko that said to me before my first to ride the first couple of hours like you are riding to the event.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My training's taken a bit of a knock as I've left my running shoes on the bus this morning.... Rolling Eyes
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to take the plunge, literally and get back in the pool tonight. Will be my first swim since the Grafman 2015. Planning on keeping it straightforward and doing my standard set when I can't think of anything better to do.

10x 100 as 25m full stroke, 25 catch up, 25 full stroke, 25 fists. Probably be 60-90 seconds rest between reps but will see how I am after the first couple.

I found my running shoes too. Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good wee swim today, thought I'd man-up and do some 400s. Did a main set of 4x400 off 7:00, then 8x50 off 60s. The most encouraging thing, is that it was a quick as similar sets I was doing 10 years ago when I was a youthful 33! 400s done in 6:26/21/18/14.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapeau Jordan
Wheezy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aiming to get out to run today, probably around 10km. Ran on Wednesday and had a really sharp, intense pain on the inside of my knee flare up, which I've never had before. I think a reaction from the previous day's turbo. Had to walk for a bit before I could get shuffling again. Tomorrow I have a 25m TT but will aim to get 20 or so miles on the clock before hand to bulk it out a bit.

What are other peeps up to this weekend?
PCP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
Aiming to get out to run today, probably around 10km. Ran on Wednesday and had a really sharp, intense pain on the inside of my knee flare up, which I've never had before. I think a reaction from the previous day's turbo. Had to walk for a bit before I could get shuffling again. Tomorrow I have a 25m TT but will aim to get 20 or so miles on the clock before hand to bulk it out a bit.

What are other peeps up to this weekend?

Had a very interrupted week. Did nothing last Sunday due to a very late night on Sat and this week has been a mixed bag.
Easy short run today and Wilmslow 1/2 marathon tomorrow. I won't be posting a decent time there as I've only got a few 8 milers and 2 x 10 miles in my legs. I'm only doing it as my wife is injured and we can't defer it till next year.

Cheshire Cat sportive next week, unsure whether to do the 80 or 107 miler yet. 25TT the week after.

On Weds I did a 10 mile run - 2 mile build, 3 x 2 mile Z3 with 1min walk, 4 min easy in between then plod home. This Weds was 4 min 53 sec faster than 2 weeks before (exactly same route). I was a sunny, shorts & tshirt run though which makes a big difference but progress all the same. Not lost a lot of weight recently but not put any back on.

The next 3 weekends will give me some decent benchmarks.
Monster Mojo Middle
50TT
UK Ultimate 1/2
100TT
IMUK
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better week here, starting to feel like starting real training. Jump up for a first longer ride at 105km, still scared at feeling behind but happy can start being more consistent and build up from here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 16 of 22

Jump to: