Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Sub 11 Ironman Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheezy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So over the last 9 weeks or so I have seen a pattern emerging. Just before and after Christmas I had a couple of colds; first one was pretty minor, the second one much more virulent. Since then I have been in a bout a three week cycle or so of feeling really fatigued for 4-7 days, which manifests itself in a very mild sore throat and mouth ulcers, along with just feeling pretty wiped out. I then seem to get over it for a couple of weeks and then I get hit again. At the moment, my training hours are pretty low as I am doing no swimming and very little running. I'm averaging around 5-6 hours per week on the bike. My head says stop completely for a while but next week's a rest week so might see how I go. I'm sleeping ok, eating too much. Any thoughts?
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
mouth ulcers, [.... ] Any thoughts?

Haven't you got a friend who could sort you out?
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More seriously, I'd say with such relatively low volume of training, that it's relatively unlikely to be particularly training related. You say you eat too much, but any chance of B12 or Iron deficiency for example?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it sounds like something else is making you susceptible to all this fatigue/illness. You may need to sit down and really think about what could be contributing, looking at your lifestyle, diet, and anything else really. Also, do you have young children? They can bring all sorts home this time of year, especially toddlers (in nursery) where a lot of slavering is involved!
Wheezy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Wheezy wrote:
mouth ulcers, [.... ] Any thoughts?

Haven't you got a friend who could sort you out?

Smile I'll admit I have popped some nurofen but a I think I will keep,off what he was having!
Life is busy but no more than it has been for the last 15 years so I am not really sure why I am susceptible to this all of a sudden. Being a teacher I have actually developed a pretty good immune system over the years and don't often get ill. I am overeating at the moment and need to get a grip on that but Within that I do eat a lot of good stuff, fruit, veg etc. Probably eating too many carbs. I think the one thing I probably really need to focus on is sleep and maybe an extra hour a night might help. If I don't get it sorted soon then I will see the GP. Just frustrating as I want one ramping things up a bit rather than cutting back on already fairly meagre training.
PCP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul destroying day at Cheshire Cat sportive today. Went out with my mate who is a very good biker as he said he would roll round with me. I nearly blew a gasket after 30 minutes because he wouldn't let up and it ruined my day. Told him to crack on and settled in on my own.
Suffered like hell with the 4+ climbs (3000+ft in the first 35 miles) and it was just a damage limitation job.

Managed to average 16.7 mph over 81 miles and 4150ft on an aluminium road bike. Could've been quicker if I'd paced the start. Supposed I was always going to struggle with it being almost double my longest ride since September though but shouldn't have been that hard.

Managed a short run off with very, very heavy legs!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only sportives I've done always seem to put all the big hills towards the back half, so that the shorter routes are easier. Pacing lesson learned I guess Very Happy

I did another zero-calorie ride on Sat morning. Cold start, but lovely day; having to work against the omnipresent wind for the first half (and what seem like most of the ride this week) meant I did find the last hour a bit more challenging this week. Managed 31.3kph on exact same route (95.5km) as last week, and a paltry 250ml of water, which is a bit naughty. NP was actually 15w less, probably as the wind was a little weaker and I have flipped my stem back down after erroneously mounting it too high last week - more aero this past weekend.

I'm going to have to break-out the High5 and/or Mule Bars at some point though.
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am low carb ATM everything I do is zero Kcal

My "rest" week ended with a 56 miles blast on the bike and then a 9miles Fell run. making it my longest week Laughing

Of course the mid - week sessions were very light. I was pretty bored as they were just not challenging.

Bike went very well, until mile 53 where I suffered complete muscular fatigue, Nothing left at all for the final slog home. Had really bad pain in my legs afterwards. Which rarely happens to me on the bike. Still it was my longest ride by far. hopefully that threshold will push out as I push the bikes. I planned a short run off the bike but that wasn't going to happen.

Day after my long fell run went fantastic, It was a well covered route and I took nearly 15 mins of my previous time and PB'd just about everything on Strava.

That's helped vanquish a few demons from last weeks HM disaster.

Effort ramps back up this week as I push towards a Mallorca Training Camp / Stag do and the end of April Cool

Scales showed a season best of 193lbs which is pleasing too,
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycling a bit back on track as I am feeling recovered from my recent illness. Had a pretty decent interval session earlier in the week and was hitting some encouraging numbers. Running's gone a bit rubbish as I have developed a sharp pain on the inside of my knee. No idea why and seems quite intermittent. One run it's fine and the next it is bringing me to a grinding halt, but hopeful it will settle down.

Have entered the Charlotteville 50 tt and the National 100 (doubt I will get in with my time but will keep my fingers crossed.) and got the Newbury 12hr lined up for June which should give me a bit more base training for the Outlaw.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Soul destroying day at Cheshire Cat sportive today. Went out with my mate who is a very good biker as he said he would roll round with me. I nearly blew a gasket after 30 minutes because he wouldn't let up and it ruined my day.

should have let him go at the start, particularly with such a large increase in volume...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
PCP wrote:
Soul destroying day at Cheshire Cat sportive today. Went out with my mate who is a very good biker as he said he would roll round with me. I nearly blew a gasket after 30 minutes because he wouldn't let up and it ruined my day.

should have let him go at the start, particularly with such a large increase in volume...

Yep, I made the call about 29 minutes too late!
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
PCP wrote:

Yep, I made the call about 29 minutes too late!

But don't worry about it its good mental training, bet you don't make that mistake on the day now Cool
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Away on a course this week, the place has an Olympic pool there (eJC will know where), so made use of this every morning at 6.30. Man, that was a shock to the system (both 50m & swimming early again). My arms were shot by the third morning in a row; I had to swim 90m in every 100, instead of 80... plus I couldn't stand-up for the whole hour, and learned after day 1 it's easier to put your goggles on before you jump in Laughing
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Away on a course this week, the place has an Olympic pool there (eJC will know where), so made use of this every morning at 6.30. Man, that was a shock to the system (both 50m & swimming early again). My arms were shot by the third morning in a row; I had to swim 90m in every 100, instead of 80... plus I couldn't stand-up for the whole hour, and learned after day 1 it's easier to put your goggles on before you jump in Laughing

the outdoor heated pool in Montauban? My favourite Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another very solid week in the bag.

Very annoyed at the poor weather on my only cycling slot all weekend. So was stuck on the turbo. But the Set did feel very productive even if it was soul crushingly boring.

Then I had a wedding and the temptation to drink far too much and stay far too late was resisted and I was up early for Another LONG day in the hills. 12.5 miles of very hilly trails and TBH I feel a completely different runner to the HM blow up two weeks ago.

Just waiting for the water warm up so I can begin the OW training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 18 of 29

Jump to: