Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Sub 11 Ironman Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

the outdoor heated pool in Montauban? My favourite Smile

I doubt very much Montauban is twinned with this particular town in the UK Very Happy
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly good week done and managed to train every day since March 17th now and am losing weight. Not weighing myself but body shape changing.

Had a disaster at a 25TT on Sat when I had a mechanical at 10 miles so spun back and had a run off. Run times are tumbling, HR coming down. Got 56 miles in yesterday and averaged just under 18mph on my road bike.

All pointing in the right direction. I'm even going to start swimming again this week Shocked I've developed an allergy which burns my eyes, nose and has me sneezing uncontrollably so I've not been in the pool since September. I'm hoping I can pick up not too far away from where I left off, I have a pool triathlon on April 30th so hoping to get down to under 1:40's for the 500m then push on from there.

Consistency is bringing progress.
Horwich tri - 2:11:12 (57/393)
Monster Mojo Middle - 4:44:50 (29th)
50TT - mechanical
UK Ultimate 1/2 - DNF
100TT - 4:47
IMUK -
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
I've not been in the pool since September. I'm hoping I can pick up not too far away from where I left off, I have a pool triathlon on April 30th so hoping to get down to under 1:40's for the 500m then push on from there.

What sort of standard were you before you stopped?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

the outdoor heated pool in Montauban? My favourite Smile

I doubt very much Montauban is twinned with this particular town in the UK Very Happy

ah... Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
PCP wrote:
I've not been in the pool since September. I'm hoping I can pick up not too far away from where I left off, I have a pool triathlon on April 30th so hoping to get down to under 1:40's for the 500m then push on from there.

What sort of standard were you before you stopped?

Early last year I swam a 6:04 400m and a 1:31 1900m the summer before.
I sliced my foot open early last year and didn't swim from May onwards but managed to get round IMWales in 1:10.
Did IMUK in 1:05 in 2013 so hoping to get back there by July.
50TT - mechanical
UK Ultimate 1/2 - DNF
IMUK -
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stroke felt ok. Got tired VERY quickly as expected.
Did 400TT, 200TT, 100's, 50's & drills.
400 - 6:48
200 - 3:15
100's - 1:30-1:45
50's - 40-45 sec

Felt eyes burning as soon as I walked in the pool area so I'll have to see how I get on today with the allergy. Started taking cold showers to get ready for open water!

Took another 2 minutes off my 10 mile run loop last night. Warm up, a few Z3/4 efforts with walk/jog rest then a warm down. Averaging 7:34/mile over total session. Feeling much stronger as I get lighter - amazing eh Laughing
50TT - mechanical
UK Ultimate 1/2 - DNF
IMUK -
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've just entered Bolton so after making a pigs ear of Bolton twice my PB there is 11:09, so although I'm not really treating it as a big race I'd like to get under 11.

The run has gone badly both times with 3:56 & 4:0x so quite a bit to save there really.

All depends on the conditions, if it is wet I'll lose a lot of time on the bike.

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:

All depends on the conditions, if it is wet I'll lose a lot of time on the bike.

Not done Bolton, but you make it sound like a confidence thing?
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
JeffB wrote:

Not done Bolton, but you make it sound like a confidence thing?

I'd largely agree with that, descending is generally a confidence thing, long straight drags where I can see the corners etc. or if I know the road aren't as bad but on twisty or rough surfaces I definitely back off quite a bit.

Get even worse in the wet, but having carbon rims probably isn't helping.

At Bolton the descent straight after Sheephouse isn't too bad but there is a little kink in it half-way down, then there is a long descent about 4 miles later which isn't too bad as it is generally quite straight and when the roads are closed, just as long as there isn't anyone around me.

A lot of the others are just quick ups and downs that you get on UK roads, but there is a horrible one that has a sharp turn at the bottom with bad surface, I think there are some restrictions around there like no overtaking.

Jeff
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So last week I went to Majorca for a family holiday with a bit of cycling. Quite a few steady hilly miles during the week. No running or swimming except a 15m snorkel which left me with my arms hanging off. Going to go back to my local ti club in the next week or so as I think I am going to need a bit of structure in the pool.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:

I'd largely agree with that, descending is generally a confidence thing, long straight drags where I can see the corners etc. or if I know the road aren't as bad but on twisty or rough surfaces I definitely back off quite a bit.

But you can mitigate for that. Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted.

It's my first race of the season on 23rd, and whilst it will be my 4th outing there, I always drive the fast technical descent before I go and register.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's school holidays, so my routine is a bit out at the moment; just trying to squeeze sessions in where I can, mainly in the evening. Did 10x3 min FTP last night in the garage, followed by running a 4km hilly (multiple) loop around the lit parts of the village. I must say that my Hokas really are a revelation; they look big & ungainly, but really are light and responsive (Odyssey 2).

First race on 23 April, fourth time out there, so let's see how well I'm defying the ageing process! A 2nd/1st/2nd in the Vets so far.
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck next weekend. I have Horwich Tri on the 30th. 500m pool, hilly 40km bike, very hilly 8.6km run.

Running going well, been getting some decent bike session in too with lots of threshold & max efforts in. Still only hit the pool twice but will get another in tomorrow 1st thing before I go to Anglesey for the weekend with the family.

Can't take my bike but I'll run on Sat & Sun - Hard efforts in a 75-80 min run on Sat then a 90-100 min Z1/2 effort on Sunday. Big ride on Monday then my wife goes away with the twins Mon-Thurs so will get decent solid sessions in every night.

Really struggling for time with the kids and my newish business taking a huge amount of time and energy but I feel like I'm improving.

Physio says my glutes aren't firing so taking more care of my stretching to release the tension in my hamstrings, glutes & lower back. Hopefully this will prevent injury and keep me stronger later in runs. Maybe even add some speed.
50TT - mechanical
UK Ultimate 1/2 - DNF
IMUK -
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:

Physio says my glutes aren't firing

Hmm, sounds like a popular cliche these days. If they weren't 'firing' you wouldn't be able to walk or run, or even get out of a chair. I think what they mean, is that they are not working optimally, as they are tight and impeded by tension points/cross-fibrous adhesions.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1hr threshold session on the turbo this morning followed by a 2 mile run after. First brick session in years and was ok. Will hopefully get out for a longer run tomorrow then a long ride Early Saturday. Will have an ftp test on the turbo next week before starting the TrainerRoad low volume build plan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 19 of 29

Jump to: