Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Sub 11 Ironman Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good going PCP, same for me this morning as couldn't bike this weekend. Last long run and a confidence boost, 34.5k which is my longest ever, avg 5:09/km. Easy pace (HR bottom of Z2), for me is just need of adapting to pounding the legs for that long, hips pretty tight towards the end.
Not done any specific brick work so will do 15-20k run off a long bike next weekend.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran an 18 miler on Sat morning, which despite a head cold, went fine. Obviously more elevation that the Outlaw, which I think is pan flat? I even 'bandited' the local park run towards the end, not that I did the exact course, but it was a nice little boost! 7:44/mile pace, which I'd take in a heartbeat on race day!
mw22

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan - what else do you have planned long run wise?

I was already hoping to have an 18 and 20 in the bag by now.. .but life and a re-occurring twinge on my achilles means that hasn't happened.
An attempt at 18 will happen on Weds but only if the niggles hold. I do have 2x10 miler and a stand alone 15 in the bag so far.... I'm just off plan so getting a bit twitchy.

Mike
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completed Llandudno middle distance

Swim 38:37
t1 3:16
Bike 3:14:
t2 3:18 (toilet stop)
Run 1:30 (this was quite a bit short, would expect 1:44 if full 13.1 mile based on pace (8mm av))

Total: 5:29

Still trying to asses performance, The Swim is disappointing but then I was about 15th out the water, and even the leaders were in the 30's so think it was a tough swim, I really struggled in the chop and had to have a few head up breaks just to compose myself, didn't enjoy myself at all.

Bike gave a 17.3mph av but was very very lumpy, two 800ft climbs mixed in with lots of smaller lumps and mainly narrow single track back roads made it hard to make progress. My biggest problem was severe back pain especially early on, need to sort this for wales as I was in an awful lot of pain before we got to the big climbs where I was able to stretch a bit.

Run I am very happy with, its a tough run route with an out and back the goes over the little Orme so 4 big climbs to mess your pace up, so I was very happy with 8minute mile average off that bike. This is by far the best I have ever run, was putting out 7:30's on the flat with very little effort.

Overall pacing was excellent, I was still leaning on at the end of the bike and on the run if anything I held back too much, I got a negative split according to Strava and the second half was more headwindy that the first.

So things still looking ok for a good day in Wales. A lot of fine tuning now and loads of long bike miles and a lot of open water swimming.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mw22 wrote:

18 is normally my longest, but going to push it out to 20 this year; two more long runs to do. I've run 3:30 off a couple of 2h runs in the past, but I was quite a bit younger then!
PCP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last big session tomorrow before IMUK. 100TT and a run off.
Would you do the TT at max effort for the distance or at IM power?

Got myself down to 82kg from 91 in January. Would've like to be 80 really but not much chance of that now.
PCP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4:45:47 at the 100.
Had to stop 3 times to grab bottles and got caught en really slow traffic 3 times. Without that I'd have gone 4:40 I think.

198w NP for 1st 50
208w NP for 2nd 50 after picking it up a bit then really pushing the last 15 miles.
daetho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job PCP, any hills on the course and did you run off it? Do you think you're on for a sub 6 bike at IMUK?

I couldn't fit in a long ride at the weekend; I rode 80km on Sat followed by 15 min run. Then did a reverse brick on Sunday with local 10 mile race followed by 65km ride. Felt absolutely shattered on the bike as I was riding into headwind - only just managed to keep pace above 30 km/h Dizzy

Now onto the tapering!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mw22 wrote:

18 is normally my longest, but going to push it out to 20 this year; two more long runs to do. I've run 3:30 off a couple of 2h runs in the past, but I was quite a bit younger then!

Ran 20 yesterday, felt pretty good (gently rolling 4:48/km). Feeling tired today though, so my wattbike ride in the gym might be a token effort in order to recover enough for my last long bike/run on Wed, then just the final long run at the weekend.

I really am just managing fatigue now, and looking forward to the end of my long training at the end of the week (4 week block).
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daetho wrote:
Good job PCP, any hills on the course and did you run off it? Do you think you're on for a sub 6 bike at IMUK?

I couldn't fit in a long ride at the weekend; I rode 80km on Sat followed by 15 min run. Then did a reverse brick on Sunday with local 10 mile race followed by 65km ride. Felt absolutely shattered on the bike as I was riding into headwind - only just managed to keep pace above 30 km/h Dizzy

Now onto the tapering!

3000ft but not really hills, just draggy. Ran off but just a couple of miles.

No sub 6 for me as I'm a terrible climber. <6:15 will be a good time for me.
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to really work on the climbing now.

This week saw 4500+ft over 55 miles @ 17.5 mph. 3 Mountain(big hill) passes in the peak district. Long Hill, Axe edge and the Cat an Fiddle.

Next weeks long ride will see 9000+ and 9 passes! in less than 70 miles. Including the mighty Holmes Moss.

Beginning to think I'm overdoing the hill work as the IM Wales profile looks less and less scary every time I look at it. But I'm sure those words will come back to haunt me.

My long run didn't go great though was still feeling the fatigue from racing the weekend before.
mw22

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
mw22 wrote:

Ran 20 yesterday, felt pretty good (gently rolling 4:48/km). Feeling tired today though, so my wattbike ride in the gym might be a token effort in order to recover enough for my last long bike/run on Wed, then just the final long run at the weekend.

I really am just managing fatigue now, and looking forward to the end of my long training at the end of the week (4 week block).

Nice one... my planned 18+ ended up being just over 16 when my legs just gave up on me. My legs seem to really struggle when I back off the pace a bit.
Another 80 mile on TT bike on the course at almost 22mph (so faster than race pace for me) - albeit 2 up.
So my sub 11 will be at what point the legs give up on the run and how quickly I can crawl to the finish!
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long brick as test of pacing/feeding yesterday; 160km ride and ran 15km. Happy with bike effort for feeling right but was very slow - 28.3kph average when expected ~29-29.5 on that route. Hoping just tired from tough week. Run off felt good at 4:50 so that was bit of a confidence boost - would be amazed if run that for a marathon! Preparing for closer to 5:15s.

As for long runs I've done 16, 19 and 21 mile runs so far. Was under impression that should probably be it before outlaw but from you guys it sounds like got time for another ~16 this week. Priority should definitely be my cycling though with last 7-10 days training.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri'ing Swimmer wrote:

As for long runs I've done 16, 19 and 21 mile runs so far. Was under impression that should probably be it before outlaw but from you guys it sounds like got time for another ~16 this week. Priority should definitely be my cycling though with last 7-10 days training.

My last long run will be Sunday morning 20/22 miles; we'll see. I've done my final long run as late as two Tuesdays before, with no ill affect. If you have too long a taper, you just end-up getting un-motivated/complacent and lose some fitness.

There are guys on FB talking about 3 week tapers for Bolton; probably excessive unless they're doing 20+ hours a week. I'm pretty sure there are people out there getting poor returns on that volume too. Plus there's the guy in my office that appears to do all his training on a Wattbike - not sure how that's going to help him when the weather, sh1t roads & gravity kick in.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I am spent after yesterday, my last long ride/run. Managed 4:37/kms again for 10k, but it felt much harder this week (and it's too fast anyway!). The heat didn't help much, but the accumulated fatigue is omnipresent. I'm going to have today off and just do foam rolling/stretching at the gym. Last long session isn't until Sunday am, another 20 mile run.

I am very happy to have the last long training ride out of the way Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 28 of 29

Jump to: