Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Sub 11 Ironman Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 69, 70, 71  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet. wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Cranked my aero bars up last night; 2019, the year of the 'half mantis' Very Happy

Why?

Why not?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
Poet. wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Cranked my aero bars up last night; 2019, the year of the 'half mantis' Very Happy

Why?

Why not?

Why bother buying a single-sided PM; or any PM? Why not just ride a road bike, as they're more comfortable.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Left or right?
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did play around with the angle of my bars last year. Main thing I found was that it just wasnít as comfortable on my forearms so went back to my extensions being flat. I suppose I should do some proper testing to see if I can get a more aero and comfier position, but frankly I CBA, and Iím pretty comfortable as it is.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro Peru wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Left or right?

I see what you did there!

On the arm rest thing, my Vukas are independent of the base bar, so the pad tilts in unison, which is rather convenient, and comfortable.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Pedro Peru wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Left or right?

I see what you did there!

On the arm rest thing, my Vukas are independent of the base bar, so the pad tilts in unison, which is rather convenient, and comfortable.

Very Happy

I have mine titled up very slightly. I'm still playing with the position and think a longer stem might help.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#tiltlikeaboss
Wheezy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good week, last week. 8.5 hrs. Was not able to get a long bike in as It was Wheezy Juniorís birthday so other than sneaking in a run early on Saturday, the rest of the weekend was out of bounds.

The move to early morning sessions has gone well, particularly the swim sets and runs. The turbo sessions are tough and I have noticed a drop off in the power I can put out. I think a combination of using a wattbike as opposed to my own bike, the early mornings and not as much bike volume as in the recent past.

Iím back running, which has been a big mental boost. Iím Not doing any speedwork at all and the aim is to just be regular and stretch out my long run to 2 hours over the next 8 weeks. Looking at around 10 hours for this week.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
Was not able to get a long bike in as It was Wheezy Juniorís birthday so other than sneaking in a run early on Saturday, the rest of the weekend was out of bounds.

Ironically, I'm the only one in the family who's birthday isn't in Triathlon season! Smacks of bad planning.
Poet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My WattBike FTP is wrong Sad

Been out with the new pedals and 250W is feeling pretty darn easy (cycled out, solo, to Lycra Club at 250W for 30 minutes...as a warm-up, felt super easy)

So, I put the pedals on the Wattbike to do a comparison - they seem to match up pretty well...(some proper testing was applied - on my Strava)...I'd read online anecdotal evidence that the air resistance and the magnetic resistance can be different RPE to get to the same watt-age.

Guess what?
They are :'(

I'd had the air brake on ~5, then used the magnets to get the rest of the way...turns out that it's "easier" to get bigger watts by cranking the air brake up to 10, then using the magnets to get the rest of the way.

DAMN IT!
A new FTP test beckons Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Embarassed
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet. wrote:
My WattBike FTP is wrong Sad

Been out with the new pedals and 250W is feeling pretty darn easy (cycled out, solo, to Lycra Club at 250W for 30 minutes...as a warm-up, felt super easy)

So, I put the pedals on the Wattbike to do a comparison - they seem to match up pretty well...(some proper testing was applied - on my Strava)...I'd read online anecdotal evidence that the air resistance and the magnetic resistance can be different RPE to get to the same watt-age.

Guess what?
They are :'(

I'd had the air brake on ~5, then used the magnets to get the rest of the way...turns out that it's "easier" to get bigger watts by cranking the air brake up to 10, then using the magnets to get the rest of the way.

DAMN IT!
A new FTP test beckons Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Embarassed

I seem to recall from a training session that I had at the "Wattbike academy" that they recommended that you just use the air resistance. Apparently the magnetic resistance was added because that's what gym users wanted and they reckoned it didn't give a very good "cycling" experience.

Obviously, how practical that is as a recommendation depends on the model of Wattbike that you're using. The "Pro" version should give enough resistance on the fan alone for an Olympic track sprinter, but is probably too heavy even at the lightest setting for a casual gym user. If you're on the "Trainer" version then I believe level 10 on the fan is roughly equal to level 5 with the "Pro", so most reasonably strong cyclists will need to use a combination of fan and magnetic for higher powers.
Poet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
If you're on the "Trainer" version then I believe level 10 on the fan is roughly equal to level 5 with the "Pro", so most reasonably strong cyclists will need to use a combination of fan and magnetic for higher powers.

Yeah, it's the trainer version, the bike I was using on Air 10 was ~250W at ~95rpm (which is perfect for me - just a little bit of magnets to increase the power)

https://support.wattbike.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115001881825-Power-Resistance-and-Cadence-Tables

My FTP is going to go through the roof now Wink
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

250W feels easy?! Not jealous at all!

For what it's worth, I've found reasonable alignment with the wattbike I use at the gym and my P2M power meter. That's purely on an RPE basis, but most of my sessions in the gym would be longer intervals of target HIM power (4*10, 3*15, 2*20 etc), and I've then been able to produce that come race day.

I did 2:20 at Bahrain off only 200W AP. If 250W felt easy, that extra 50W is worth 12 minutes according to Best Bike Split. But that would require an FTP in excess of 315 Shocked

Poet. wrote:
Yeah, it's the trainer version, the bike I was using on Air 10 was ~250W at ~95rpm (which is perfect for me - just a little bit of magnets to increase the power)

I have to say I find this a bit strange, as do the Wattbike tables you linked to. I'll be at about #3 or #4 on the dial, and at 9 or 10 on the slider, and that gets me to about 210W at 85-90rpm. I'm assuming the wattbike tables are working off dial position 1? If I left it at that, I'd struggle to get to 150W. All the bikes were wattbike serviced in the last 6-9 months as well. And I've seen consistent numbers since then. I also always use the same bike at the gym.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
250W feels easy?! Not jealous at all!

I did 2:20 at Bahrain off only 200W AP. If 250W felt easy, that extra 50W is worth 12 minutes according to Best Bike Split. But that would require an FTP in excess of 315 Shocked

Ignore him, it's the Internet, he's bound to be exaggerating Wink

I must have averaged about 246w up the Alpe on Zwift last night; took me 55:58. I'll take that! Didn't feel easy though.
Poet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard - top table. 95rpm (+-5rpm) at Level 10 air brake (the slider on the flywheel) is 260W (+-5W), which is bang on what I was doing today.
I only used the magnets for the 1:00 MMP test and 15s power.

200W AP is nonsense though, isnít it? Much better using NP, plus thereís surely a drafting benefit at Bahrain?
With Bahrain being quite flat, I'm guessing that the AP is pretty similar to the NP, giving a low VI?

I rode ~4hrs in Sunday (yes, with the wind) at 188W AP, 230W NP (18% zero power)
It was an easy ride, I was very surprised - shame the HR battery died after an hour or so.

To clarify, 250W for the ride out to the start felt easy due to a number of factors:
1) New bike
2) New pedals
3) New shoes
4) MASSIVE tailwind assisted, so loving the free speed
5) Second time invited on the "A" group ride, so didn't want to embarrass myself

Not fibbing, just Jorgan is getting worried Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 65 of 71

Jump to: